Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 04:58 PM

609 posts, read 2,118,114 times

Advertisements

I live in central Texas where RE prices have not dropped yet, although sales have slowed down a little.

I want to move to Arizona where it appears RE prices have fallen and may go lower.

My question is, should I go ahead and sell here or wait for a while to see how things fall out in the RE market and the credit crunch problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 05:25 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,880 times
What a great position to be in! You can sell high and buy low. If you feel prices may continue to climb where you're at, then you may want to consider waiting to sell. However, the general national trend is that parts of the country that haven't been hit by the slowdown still will be; therefore you may want to get your place sold while the market in your area is still a seller's market.

You can always rent for a while if you're not ready to buy right away. Keep in mind, though, not all of AZ has tanked. There are still many areas where prices are relatively stable.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:34 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
I would really scope out the local MLS of the area in AZ you're looking and see how the inventory stacks up. Are there still a ton of homes looking for buyers? If so, I'd wait. Prices CANNOT go up w/an oversupply of inventory. Basic rule of supply and demand.

gl

Old 11-08-2007, 10:14 PM

609 posts, read 2,118,114 times
Is this the wrong time of year to try and sell a home or does it really matter??

I have had some tell me it does not matter and others say Thanksgiving, Christmas is a bad time.

Also the areas I have been looking at in Arizona seem quit reasonable, almost half of what they year 15 months ago, namely Maricopa and Florence.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:37 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,880 times
Some people think it's better to wait til spring to sell, but the problem with that is that everybody else is thinking the same thing . . . so you're apt to have a lot more competition in the spring. And if the market slows significantly in your area you'd be shooting yourself in the foot to wait til spring to try to sell.

Maricopa and Florence markets have really tanked from what I understand. Keep that in mind, though, when you go to buy. If you're not planning on selling in the next 5 to 10 years you'll probably be fine. But with so many "cheap" (as in extremely affordable) new homes being built there, you're going to have competition from the new home builders for many years should you need to sell before that area gets built out.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:18 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
If you are sure you want to move, sell and sell now. I don't see anything good happening in Real Estate that would make it easier to sell down the road. Then rent until you think the time is right to buy in AZ. Then you will be ahead of the game when the market tanks in Texas.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:15 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,149 times
What Yellowsnow said. Sell now, get the most out of it, and then rent or buy where you want to be.
Good luck to ya!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:06 AM

376 posts, read 1,505,823 times
Rememeber it is rare to have a sellers market and a buyers market. If you are comfortable with what you will make on your home in Texas and get something you like and plan to live in for a while in Arizona then you have a great scenerio.

Generally speaking in my area, Early spring is the best time to place your home on the market, after the holidays. The goal being getting is sold before May when the rush of summer comes.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate