Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:34 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,534 times

Advertisements

Depends on what your plans are. Soils, septic/well or public, topography, utility easements, historic societies, future subdivisions, wetlands, permits, etc are all things that should come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 04:27 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
I've found that the land brokers we deal with tend to be more educated...
I've found that to be the case, too.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Just wanted to give an update. I found a land broker we're working with now (35 years of experience in the area we're buying). He has been exactly what we need. For waterfront property, we see it from the water and the land. He has aerials, plats, and information on the land itself (e.g. elevation, soil, etc). In addition, he's very well versed in conservation tracts. Have to say, I am quite happy we decided to go with a land broker for this search/purchase. The difference in knowledge as it pertains to large estate/land purchase is quite remarkable.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Just wanted to give an update. I found a land broker we're working with now (35 years of experience in the area we're buying). He has been exactly what we need. For waterfront property, we see it from the water and the land. He has aerials, plats, and information on the land itself (e.g. elevation, soil, etc). In addition, he's very well versed in conservation tracts. Have to say, I am quite happy we decided to go with a land broker for this search/purchase. The difference in knowledge as it pertains to large estate/land purchase is quite remarkable.
Yeah! Good luck with your purchase.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 PM

Glad to hear that you found a good real estate broker who specializes in land. Good luck with your search--and let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 PM

Another update:
Seems we might have found the perfect property for us. Realtor has been great. Now it just comes down to price (doesn't it always!). His experience and expertise has been valuable for us. He seems to know everyone from the best people to do perk tests to surveyors to lawyers. Each person specializes in the exact type of property we're looking to buy. I'm amazed at what a difference it made for us - he even was able to determine the timber value on the land as well as the cropland value. Plus, he already knew all the neighboring owners - having lived and worked in this area for years and years. Now, fingers crossed everything works out and we come to an agreement on price.

As an aside, never thought I would find the right property so fast since we're looking at a pretty tight market and a very unique style of property. Stars must have been aligned because this particular property in this area is a rare thing to see on the market as most of the land in the area we've targeted tends to stay in families.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:49 PM

I have to share - here's a photo I took. Isn't it stunning?? I am in love with the property. Thank goodness I have a husband who is being sensible about things like price as I literally knew it was the one when I saw it.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,534 times
From the photo, it looks like this roof shingles have some age to them.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
From the photo, it looks like this roof shingles have some age to them.
They do and need to be replaced. One of the issues is that the place is priced as if in top condition but there's quite a bit of deferred maintenance and the roof needs replacing. However the biggest issues is the property is priced as deep water and it is not. That's going to be the huge stickler if this thing moves forward or not because the pricing difference is pretty big between the two. I have my fingers crossed it works out!

Old 07-25-2013, 09:53 PM

Well, try not to fall too deeply in love with the property. You still need to be smart about negotiating a price. But, if you do get it, don't even think about cutting the trees down--no amount of timber value would be worth losing those trees. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate