Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 AM

72 posts, read 185,830 times

Advertisements

Like the tittle says, does the LO needs to see the inspection report to order the appraisal? My agent says that he doesn't have to see it for him to order the appraisal. It's a FHA loan by the way. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:45 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
No he does not.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default You sure about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No he does not.

FHA standards are different: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/docu...=DOC_12628.pdf

Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Could be wrong but I've never had to send one. You may be correct.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:18 AM

72 posts, read 185,830 times
The inspection report reveals that there's a little bit of dampness in the basement, i wouldn't back out of the deal for this as is not mayor, but being my first home i don't know how it works. Is an "as is" deal and i'm afraid the LO suggest to fix everything before funding the loan.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:42 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
There are specific standards for FHA approval:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/hudcl...02appdHSGH.pdf

"Typical conditions that would require further inspection or testing by qualified individuals or entities

• inoperative or inadequate plumbing, heating or electrical system
• cracked masonry or foundation damage
• drainage problems"

If the inspection does note any of those (or other serious issues) you don't need to worry....

By itself "dampness" is not going to kill a deal -- in fact given the weather that much of the country has had recently "dampness" is likely being experienced in homes that have no real issues at all...

Old 07-15-2013, 07:05 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times
my main go to lender can do an FHA loan within the 90 day flip rule, but needs two appraisals AND a copy of the inspection report.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
my main go to lender can do an FHA loan within the 90 day flip rule, but needs two appraisals AND a copy of the inspection report.

This is a standard HUD guideline. Anything else is an overlay.

OP -
As for the loan officer getting a copy, only you can make that decision. The way the Dodd Frank is set up, the legislation wants (actually, trying to demand) that the Loan Officer has a vested interest in the loan they make. The idea is, if the loan officer on the front line that can identify and flag an issue/problem (whether it kills the loan or not), they will do it for the "greater good" of our real estate market. That was the idea in a perfect world. But what has happened - the rules and regulations in lending have become so complex, the loan officer has actually become an advocate for the applicant and assists in the maze to closing. There's been a line drawn in the sand and I suspect everyone has experienced what a loan officer would do yesterday, they won't do today.

If the loan officer gets the home inspection report, they are obligated to turn it into the underwriter. Please note, I did not say appraiser. Loan officers do not communicate with the appraiser. So, the result will be an underwriter will make the basement a condition of approval, but not necessarily a condition of the appraisal. I have seen underwriter's ask for the home inspection report when the appraiser is clear as mud (usually due to reusing one report for one property as a template for another).

Old 07-16-2013, 09:06 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
No they don't need to see it. The things Chet is referring to will be looked at by the appraiser.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
I won't mention the bank by name, but it is a large bank in America and has recently outsourced its appraisal department to India. I have a peer who just had a closing held up by the successful installation of a mitigation system for radon and review of the post test results. Oh and underwriting demanded a copy of the Home Inspection report as well. Sometimes I think that these lenders really don't want to lend at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate