Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:09 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times

Advertisements

I don't think anyone including the realtors, at least quite a few of them, know how to price in this market. It's a best guess effort. I listened to several realtors and my house isn't sold yet. Instead of jumping in on the blame game I started tracking properties on the market in my area. Price doesn't seem to matter because nothing is selling. If you are fortunate enough to get an offer, there is a good chance financing won't go through.

I talked to most of the people in my neighborhood who are trying or have tried to sell. They didn't get any more showings than I did. That goes for the cheapest and the most expensive as well. It's a frustrating time to be involved in any of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 02:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I don't think anyone including the realtors, at least quite a few of them, know how to price in this market. It's a best guess effort. I listened to several realtors and my house isn't sold yet. Instead of jumping in on the blame game I started tracking properties on the market in my area. Price doesn't seem to matter because nothing is selling. If you are fortunate enough to get an offer, there is a good chance financing won't go through.

I talked to most of the people in my neighborhood who are trying or have tried to sell. They didn't get any more showings than I did. That goes for the cheapest and the most expensive as well. It's a frustrating time to be involved in any of this.
Same thing here, as far as we can tell there's no rhyme nor reason to what's happening and though my agent won't admit it I think they're all just guessing at what to price things at right now. I asked for recent comps so I could check where my price is at and all I got was still actives. Anyone have a dart board and blindfold for sale?

Old 11-10-2007, 02:15 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,255 times
I'll go against the grain here. I have realtors look at my properties all the time (at their own invitation). I don't have any properties in any area where there are zero sales. So, in my case, the agents have something to look at. With a comp that isn't identical, I think agents who truly "know" their marketplace, and know the mindset of a buyer, can assess what -- for example, a 2 car garage, cathedral ceilings, a larger lot, crown molding, etc. -- all of these things might or might not be worth to a buyer.

I think the agent also has a much broader base of experience, information, and resources, available to them -- and that too should give them an advantage in arriving at a qualifed or educated opinion.

Sure, there is guesswork, and maybe some throw darts, etc. I've seen many off. But I've also seen some dead spot on and really add a great deal of value to their client's position -- fast sale, qualified buyer, bidding war, etc. Obviously, the agent I referred to earlier either had no idea, really messup, or I have no idea what. Besides being very unprofessional, the agent might have pulled a # out of the sky instead of just "opening your eyes".

Good thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate