Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Why aren't homeowners home for most showings? We were and it didn't seem to affect anything. It's not like we were shadowing them. Just couldn't let strangers walk through with another stranger completely unattended.
Terrible idea for multiple reasons.

1. What if someone makes a showing during the day and you work. Now what?
2. Buyers don't like it. You can say it doesn't matter. You can try and justify it in many ways. But you would not be correct. 99% of buyers don't want the sellers there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 05:56 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
"

So you're gone a couple of weeks. TV is on. Was it on ESPN? Footprints everywhere. One par of shoes stayed dirty that long? Seems like there were lots of pairs of shoes. Any sodas or alcohol missing too? Snacks gone?
Sorry, but I'm missing your point. Yep, TV on, dirty footprints everywhere. I had footprints on a nice area rug in den and in a bedroom and elsewhere in the house. Not sure why that is hard to believe. Don't know why some realtors here seem to think it's ok to go thru people's houses and not try to leave things as you found them. I would think it would be simple property viewing etiquette.

It can be about the almighty commission while still respecting people's homes. Maybe it's easier to not care as much about the homes when you probably will never meet the owners so you walk thru anonymously.

My whole post was just to ask that you take a second to look around before leaving to check things and to please not track dirt inside from your shoes....have a little respect for the owner of the home.[/quote]

It's getting funnier. I believe it happened. Home empty for a couple of weeks. Good place to kick back or rev up.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:05 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Why aren't homeowners home for most showings? We were and it didn't seem to affect anything. It's not like we were shadowing them. Just couldn't let strangers walk through with another stranger completely unattended.
Nope. It's another reason I avoid FSBO.

Even if homeowners don't "shadow," their presence changes the whole atmosphere of the showing. Potential buyers need to focus on evaluating the property and, usually, discussing out loud the pros and cons.

If homeowners are home around here, it's a SNAFU.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Nope. It's another reason I avoid FSBO.

Even if homeowners don't "shadow," their presence changes the whole atmosphere of the showing. Potential buyers need to focus on evaluating the property and, usually, discussing out loud the pros and cons.

If homeowners are home around here, it's a SNAFU.
I can respect that - but curious to know if that was true for everyone. Another reason is I feel like if you have kids or any other circumstance (disabled/injured, etc.) you are forced out and back in and back out again so often for as long as the house is on the market. I mean it's stressful enough having to keep the place tidy at all times when you've got 4+ people living there.

I've been on both sides (none FSBO) and didn't feel it was any hindrance even on the buying side when the owner was there (didn't even think twice about it until now), but that's me. BTW, I work at home and was able to do it anytime. Most showings aren't during the weekday day anyway, are they?

^ gathering opinions, not justification for anything.

Last edited by ovi8; 08-01-2013 at 07:08 AM..

Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
What's common sense to one is not necessarily to another. I was a realtor for 16 years and always took off my shoes but I have had some elderly or injured clients who couldn't do it very easily. For them it would mena not looking at the house. Then you have the people who walk into their own house with wet feet and just don't care so they don't see what they're doing wrong. I think a note with a few insturctions is fine - it never offended me.

I leave my ceiling fan and a light or two on when I'm out, and always recommended that my clients left as many lights as they could tolerate on when not home. Wlaking into a dark house you don't know and trying to find light switches etc. can be hard and take away from the showing. I feel the additional electricity cost is just a part of selling.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:36 AM

24 posts, read 34,321 times
I don't see why leaving a note with basic instructions as to lights and locking is so offensive? Just reading these posts, it appears that everyone has varying preferences when it comes to how they want things done. I'd rather a homeowner leave a note so I'm not worrying about whether this one door was left closed or open. And as for the shoes.... I've not come across major issues so far, and would certainly imagine that being respectful of the current homeowners is the most logical thing to do? I would at least point out to the potential buyer that upside is the owners seem to care about keeping their home neat and clean? Unless of course, it isn't clean... Hmm.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:46 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Sorry, but I'm missing your point. Yep, TV on, dirty footprints everywhere. I had footprints on a nice area rug in den and in a bedroom and elsewhere in the house. Not sure why that is hard to believe. Don't know why some realtors here seem to think it's ok to go thru people's houses and not try to leave things as you found them. I would think it would be simple property viewing etiquette.

"It can be about the almighty commission while still respecting people's homes. Maybe it's easier to not care as much about the homes when you probably will never meet the owners so you walk thru anonymously.

"My whole post was just to ask that you take a second to look around before leaving to check things and to please not track dirt inside from your shoes....have a little respect for the owner of the home.
"

Me/CULLY: It's getting funnier. I believe it happened. Home empty for a couple of weeks. Good place to kick back or rev up.[/quote]

Somehow even though I'm doing nothing differently my linking is messing up. So...my sentence is only the last short part. I put the other poster's in quotes.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:33 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Terrible idea for multiple reasons.

1. What if someone makes a showing during the day and you work. Now what?
2. Buyers don't like it. You can say it doesn't matter. You can try and justify it in many ways. But you would not be correct. 99% of buyers don't want the sellers there.
I do much better when I can meet the sellers...

On more than a few occasions the Realtors have rolled their eyes when the seller and I strike up a conversation.

Twice, it made all the difference in getting my offer accepted.

Homeowners generally have a lot invested in their homes and it can be very emotional/stressful time once the decision to sell is made.

For me, it's a tremendous opportunity to learn about the property and gauge motivation.

I can see why listing agents don't want the buyer and seller to meet... never could understand why a buyer's agent would object.

Friends bought their dream home via short sale a couple of years ago... the seller was difficult to say the least... he had built the home he was now losing. I suggested my friends visit with their twin 4 year old daughters... in that one visit, the owner picked them to buy his home.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:35 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,063 times
The shoes on/off preference is largely cultural or regional. In my area, people don't take off their shoes when they visit someone else's house, unless their shoes are obviously dirty. The only people who come to my house and immediately take off shoes are ones who grew up in the midwest.

It wouldn't have occurred to me - or to most people I know - to take off shoes when entering a home we were viewing.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
I can respect that - but curious to know if that was true for everyone. Another reason is I feel like if you have kids or any other circumstance (disabled/injured, etc.) you are forced out and back in and back out again so often for as long as the house is on the market. I mean it's stressful enough having to keep the place tidy at all times when you've got 4+ people living there.

I've been on both sides (none FSBO) and didn't feel it was any hindrance even on the buying side when the owner was there (didn't even think twice about it until now), but that's me. BTW, I work at home and was able to do it anytime. Most showings aren't during the weekday day anyway, are they?

^ gathering opinions, not justification for anything.
Personal opinion:

Buyers don't stay as long in the house if the sellers are home. You WANT the buyers to stay a long time, wander about, talk amongst themselves about the house, and begin to feel at home and see themselves living there. If the sellers are there, the buyers won't relax enough to sit on the couch, and won't talk about the house. They will look around, and then feel rushed to move on. Then they won't really remember the house, and if they do, they will remember they didn't feel comfortable there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate