Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:09 AM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times

Advertisements

I know we have a thread asking about inside home decor and how it affects buyers, but what about nice landscaping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:29 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
How important? What units should our responses be in? I don't understand how to answer a "How important.." question.

It is better than bad landscaping.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:47 AM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times
Like decor, do you think most buyers can look past an owner's landscaping or lack of landscaping?

When I was younger and looking for my first home, I couldn't get past bad landscaping. If the yard was a mess, I didn't bother looking inside the home. I do expect really bad landscaping when looking at a foreclosure or short sale though but then I expect the inside will be a mess too.

My home now has professional landscaping. One Realtor I interviewed when trying to decide on who to go with said that my landscaping added 2,000 to the value of my home. I thought that was kind of low especially when a lot of homes in my neighborhood lacked much card to their yards.

I was just curious from a Realtors take on it, how important landscaping was to their clients when showing homes. Was it ever a reason to not go inside and that type thing.

I think I'm just such a yard person and love working in the yard that it's more important to me....probably not so important to most people though.

Also I live in a neighborhood with an HOA. Unfortunately the guy across the street has a very messy yard...kind of trashy looking. One Realtor told me that potential buyers don't really pay attention to the neighbors homes. He said they look at your yard and are impressed with that so don't care about neighbors. I find that hard to believe. Probably it would bother some and not bother others.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 08-05-2013 at 08:01 AM..

Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Well. This topic is dear to my heart and here's why.

A good builder built our house - but he was trying to sell it when the market crashed, so his money was tight. We got the house for a good price, but it sure was a good thing we did, or we'd be upside down in it now, because it didn't have hardly a thing done to the yard. The front yard had grass laid just around the front, and had some minimal landscaping done in the front flower beds, because it was a Parade Home, but that was it.

We had to put in a fence ($6000). Our side yard and back yard was a pile of red clay, so we had to lay sod ($5000 - we have nearly an acre of lawn). Sprinkler system - $4000. Extended flagstone patio and pergola - $6000. Flower beds in the back and side yard, including shrubbery - $3500. Retaining wall - $1500. Then we added a nice storage building - $2500. Hot tub which will probably stay with the property - $4000.

We are in direct competition with two new construction homes right across the street from us. They are priced at about $5 a foot less than ours. But they don't have these amenities and our house is only three years old. So...this should be interesting!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well. This topic is dear to my heart and here's why.

A good builder built our house - but he was trying to sell it when the market crashed, so his money was tight. We got the house for a good price, but it sure was a good thing we did, or we'd be upside down in it now, because it didn't have hardly a thing done to the yard. The front yard had grass laid just around the front, and had some minimal landscaping done in the front flower beds, because it was a Parade Home, but that was it.

We had to put in a fence ($6000). Our side yard and back yard was a pile of red clay, so we had to lay sod ($5000 - we have nearly an acre of lawn). Sprinkler system - $4000. Extended flagstone patio and pergola - $6000. Flower beds in the back and side yard, including shrubbery - $3500. Retaining wall - $1500. Then we added a nice storage building - $2500. Hot tub which will probably stay with the property - $4000.

We are in direct competition with two new construction homes right across the street from us. They are priced at about $5 a foot less than ours. But they don't have these amenities and our house is only three years old. So...this should be interesting!
Sounds interesting, please keep us updated.

I think people generally underestimate the cost of landscaping and therefore that value is not reflected in a sale. I'm not sure if appraisals even have landscaping as a bump in comps, which doesn't help either.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:44 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
I think that landscaping in the front yard is very important. Your curb appeal matters because it is the first impression people get of the house which will bias their opinion of the rest of the house. Does that mean you need to put in elaborate landscaping to sell - NO! But you should have it green, clean, weeded, mowed, edged, fresh mulch, a little color. Too much landscaping screams "high maintenance".

Old 08-05-2013, 09:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Sounds interesting, please keep us updated.

I think people generally underestimate the cost of landscaping and therefore that value is not reflected in a sale. I'm not sure if appraisals even have landscaping as a bump in comps, which doesn't help either.
I know that sometimes things like expanded patios, outdoor kitchens or fireplaces, nice storage buildings or shops, sprinkler systems, etc have to be pointed out to some appraisers - and that most will adjust their appraisal if the other comps don't have those items. But sometimes they do have to be specifically pointed out.

My realtor has highlighted those things in the MLS with the caption "Better than brand new" which I think is a good selling point. For instance, my house also has a security system, with cameras, that cost about $4000 but the cameras can be accessed in real time from anywhere in the world online. So that's pretty cool, especially in this area of oil and gas consultants who travel a lot. That sort of buyer is very common in this area.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
As a buyer, a nice front yard is important to me. It sets the tone for the rest of the house in most cases. I want to see grass and some simple landscaping - I don't raeally care about fancy stuff, but nice grass, some boxwoods around the house, etc. makes it look nice for cheap.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:54 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
When you pull up to a listing the 'curb' appeal is what hits you first. If it (the landscaping/paint/driveway) is pleasing you likely will take the next step: Go Inside. If it looks unkempt and poorly maintained, you conclude (rightly or wrongly) that the house is not well maintained and you don't even get out of the car.

That might be superficial, but true, unless you are looking to buy flip homes where you bid the buyer down, paint it, put in a few cheap bushes, and flip it for 20 grand.

My last home had extraordinary landscaping. We worked with a certified landscape architect and went from there. When it came time to sell, there were those who loved it, and those who understood that high end landscaping can be a LOT of work. The ultimate buyer loved it, and said it was a prime reason in her buying the house. Then she proceeded to NEVER touch a thing, mow the lawn once a month whether it needed it or not, and incur an 'intervention' from the neighbors because the place looked so rundown and poorly maintained.

No, or poor, landscaping equals bad. Average commercial landscaping (the guys who drive around your neighborhood with lawn mowers, a cute name, and dig holes and mulch beds) are pretty much what most people are looking for and should be the norm for the average house. Architectural landscaping can go either way: looks great, but people in the know understand the work involved and might shy away.

Go with the middle ground (no pun intended).

Old 08-05-2013, 01:53 PM

79 posts, read 117,297 times
I think it is very important to keep the landscaping up if you want buyers to come and see your house.
Curb appeal is hugely important. We have just ripped out an old hard to maintain fish pond in our front garden and trimmed the overgrowth way back. New bedding plants and $$$ in mulch and it looks so much better now. We will soon be painting our deck in back of our house, and we are debating on trying the Restore products from Rust-oleum to make it look like new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate