Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:15 PM

144 posts, read 597,434 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am wanting to buy the house I have been renting for 1.4 yrs, I just met with an agent. First, we were supposed to meet at my house at 2pm so he could meet me and see the home. He called around 2:30 and asked me if we were supposed be meeting today, he mumbled something and then stated he thought we were to meet at 3pm, I told him that was fine we can meet at 3pm, we hung up the phone. One minute later he calls back and asks " have you been by this home lately", I say, " I am live at the home, I have been renting the house for over a year". He says, ok I get it now, " and I am coming by the house so that I can see it", I was not sure if he was asking me why he was coming over or just talking out loud, but I said " yes". Three pm comes, nothing, I call his number at 3:10 to ask if he was still coming, it goes to voice mail. My door bell rings around 3:15, he has finally made it. We make introductions, we sit down to discuss were I am in the process, I tell him I am trying to decide between 2 financing companies, 1 is a large national company, the other is local, I already have a prequal letter from the big company, the smaller one is waiting to hear back from me as to weather I want to proceed. ( fyi I am leaning towards the local company since their turn time is much faster and from the fee sheet slightly less costly). The Agent's phone rings, he continues speaking we ignore the ring, finally he silences it. I tell him the owner has contacted me through a realtor to ask if I was still interested in buying the home and when I thought I would be ready to make an offer. My lease was up at the end of May and I have been month to month since that time, but I am not sure if the seller has listed the house again yet. We begin discussing that I want a buyers agent specifically after he mentions contacting the buyer to list the home and states he can be a dual agent. I ask him how long he has been a realtor: 6yr, I ask how often has he been a buyers agent: very seldom. He told me most people just dont ask him to be a buyers agent and they do everything on their own. Awkward transition from that conversation to looking around the house. We go through the dinning rm, the den, go outside, then through the kitchen, as we get to the hall way his phone begins ringing. He answers it, and apparently he was suppose to show a house at 4pm, he has the keys in his car, and he is all the way across town, he stated to who ever he was speaking with that he "totally forgot". He asks me to please excuse him as he makes another phone call to try to get some one else to open the home to be shown. We quickly look into the MBd and peek into the office, we don't look at the 3rd rm or MBa. He begins speaking about looking into comparable prices in this area and contacting the seller about listing the home and making an offer. I told him to hold off on that for now and I would contact him to let him know if I want to proceed.

Buying a home is an important thing, I just want to make sure I have someone working with me who I can count on. Please give me your thoughts on this meeting. I am leaning towards calling another agent to be a buyers agent, it just annoys me that this guy took my time and I have such little free time as is and this just puts me back if I have to wait another week for a day off to meet with a new agent. I want to get the ball rolling as soon as possible because the owner's realtor told me the owner wants to increase the rent by $100, which I just don't think is worth it, but hopefully if the house is under contract then the owner will forgo the $100 increase starting Sept. I believe I should be able to close in Sept if I can just get an agent and get things going.

Almost forgot: I can forgive the 10minute late arrival, because there is construction at the closest entrance into my neighborhood and the entrance is actually blocked off, but there are no signs telling you that until you get there, so you have to then turn around and go to the other side of the neighborhood to other streets that come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
You answered your own question.
Google "buyers agent Fayetteville"

Old 08-07-2013, 02:29 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Your gut is telling you that you need another agent. Listen to it.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:56 PM

49 posts, read 148,199 times
He forgot about you at 2:00, then forgot about another client and 4:00... in the same day! I wouldn't waste my time with him!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:15 PM

That's what I was thinking, thanks for the confirmation.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:31 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
You need an agent. Not a shared agent who is not really shared but is working for the seller who is paying him.

You need a professional with a buyer's agreement or buyer's agent contract, whatever it's called in your area.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:50 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
I'm trying to fully understand the situation:

You want to purchase the house that you've been renting for the past 1.4 years, but you've contacted a 'buyer's agent' who doesn't often work with buyers, and can't seem to keep track of ANY of the 3 appointments that were set: a 2 pm and a late arrival for the 3 pm with you, and a 4 pm with someone else that he 'totally forgot' about. This is red flag #1. If he's forgetting appointments, how is he going to keep a transaction on track: dates within a contract need to be adhered to, and if your agent lets any of these dates pass without appropriate action (ie: inspection, financing, etc) it could be very bad for you, the client. Part of being a buyer's agent is keeping track of dates and keeping the transaction on track.

Did the agent seriously come over to see the property that you have been renting, yet doesn't even know if the property is listed or not?? Do you have access to the current owner, or just their agent? There are other questions rolling around in my head, but at this point, I would be looking for someone who seems to take their job as an agent a bit more seriously.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:37 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
Sounds like he was fishing for a listing, not intending to represent you. Yes, he should have looked up the information on the property before showing up.

I would do a search for an agent that has earned the Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR) designation. They have been trained to handle your type of situation.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:40 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Definitely don't hire that guy.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:47 PM

Thanks for all of the quick replies, after reading the first few, I immediately googled buyers agents in my area and one blog I found seemed full of great information, with out thinking about the time ( right after I posted at 5:15pm) I called the number that was on the blog I found. My phone rang about 30 minutes later and I was speaking with a very informative agent. She stated she would research the comps in my area and get back to me Friday, today. Well she did, and in less than 30minutes of phone conversations she has already enlightened me and been very focused on finding out more information about my wants in a home, and this home in particular. She has contacted the owner's agent today and I hope to hear back from her tomorrow about meeting on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate