Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:30 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,161 times

Advertisements

What a nightmare. Imagine this happening to you..

Quote:
We just discovered that the previous owner of our house molested children here and then hanged himself, also in this house. No one told us anything about this before we bought. We had to find out from our neighbors. Do we have any recourse?

Seller Concealed Story Of Stigmatized Home | Bankrate.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I don't know what was done by a previous owner would have anything to do with current owners and how they live their lives. It is a house and the house did nothing but be a house and it cannot control what is done by those who live there.
Why would that have to be disclosed, I don't see the logic in it.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 PM

396 posts, read 1,851,106 times
I don't believe in possessed properties or ghosts. Resale value could be affected. But 25 years from now, most of the neighbors who knew what happened will have moved away. Things pass with time (unless the address has a Google record of the events - then it will live on).

I currently live in a 30+ year old apartment complex. My walls have probably seen some horrendous acts committed by previous tenants.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
In California, the manner/occurrence of death in the property must be disclosed if it happened 3 years prior to when an offer is made.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:18 AM

774 posts, read 1,693,161 times
I wouldn't want to live there, or anywhere that unspeakable things had happened.

Consider that the infamous home in Cleveland was just demolished.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:30 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,241,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I don't know what was done by a previous owner would have anything to do with current owners and how they live their lives. It is a house and the house did nothing but be a house and it cannot control what is done by those who live there.
Why would that have to be disclosed, I don't see the logic in it.
Did you bother reading the article?

Old 08-08-2013, 12:33 AM

As per the article, I read two lessons:

Quote:
"Because it's illegal to lie about a home's condition or history in response to a direct question, be doubly sure to ask the owner or agent if any of the aforementioned stigmas apply to the home you're seeking"

"in most jurisdictions, there's a time limit for how long a home is considered stigmatized."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
I don't believe in possessed properties or ghosts. Resale value could be affected. But 25 years from now, most of the neighbors who knew what happened will have moved away. Things pass with time (unless the address has a Google record of the events - then it will live on).
It doesn't just apply to you. Should you decide to sell, depending on jurisdiction, you will have to disclose the property's dicey history if a certain amount of time hasn't elapsed. And then guess what? The property will sit on the market an average of 45% longer, with a sale price 3% less than market value.

Quote:
"A study at Wright State University published in 2000 found that stigmatized homes lingered on the market 45 percent longer than average. It also found, somewhat surprisingly, that a stigma caused the sale price to drop by an average of only 3 percent."

Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
I wouldn't want to live there, or anywhere that unspeakable things had happened.
Nor I.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Did you bother reading the article?
Yes and I still don't see why it would matter. It is still a house and the house itself had nothing to do with what was done by those who lived there. If someone is so scared their potential home is tainted in some way they should just build a brand new shiny pretty and be done with it. I can guess though, that property they build on will at some point have had someone buried on it.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:32 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Interesting that some one should post this today. This was on the news last night:

Cleveland House in Kidnap, Rape Case Is Demolished - ABC News

There was also a story about some website, I think it must have been Google but admit I didn't hear which one, blocked out the street view of the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate