U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:03 PM

38,377 posts, read 37,147,157 times

Advertisements

Did your agent do a comparative market analysis?

Compare the SALES prices of homes of similar square footage that have sold recently?

In a condo building, you can be limited to other units in your building. Your price should be right in line with whatever other condos that are outfitted similarly to yours have sold for lately, especially those that back to the railroad tracks.

Since you've already dropped the price about $130K, you may want to take it off the market, price it mor realistically, then re-list it in a month or so. Old listings become stale to buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 04:39 PM

45,270 posts, read 85,685,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine75 View Post
So what should I lower the price to is the big question then. Then also adding better pictures? Change the description?
Based on the recent sold condo in your complex, your price should be about $450,000 at the most.

I'd go with $449,000 just to get more looks at it.

Also, consider taking the fish tank down and out. It could be a turn off for some buyers (people don't like any reminder of any kind of pets in a home) AND it could be emanating a fishy odor you are used to and don't even notice. Without the tank in the living room it will look larger too. Remove it and then have your agent redo the pics.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:12 PM

8,818 posts, read 17,361,995 times
Want it to sell faster? Reduce the price.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,588,432 times
Do what LoesMountains said.
You are selling your house, so pack up, get rid of both of those
fish tanks. The one in the LR and the one in the Bedroom.
The balcony is over furnished.
Leave a table, get rid of all those couches.
It looks crammed. You are selling space.
Everything in the house should say Clean Space.
Your home is clean, you have to have it yell space.
Put your LR set in storage, go rent a new one at a Rent A Center.
They will deliver it, you only pay per month you have it, and when the
home is sold, they will pick it up.
Move the TV in the LR. Don't put it in that alcove.
I don't have the pic up anymore to give you a suggestion, but look online
under alcove design in home, and get some ideas.
Your kitchen is wonderful! Show it with fresh fruit.
Im looking at your home through the eyes of a stager, so you
might now agree with everything, but just remember, you want something
to WOW the potential buyer when they see the home, and get a nice chandelier
type overhead light over the DR table.
You will sell it. Lower your price and stage it nicer, it will sell, Railroad track
or no railroad track, it will be gone.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,704,475 times
Good job keeping the house decluttered and staged nicely.

I think better pics would help. If possible, hire a professional, they can hopefully get some pics that don't feature odd angles.

I also noticed a few distracting things in the photos:

- the blue light from the fishtanks visible in several photos
- photo of the bedroom. 3 black/white framed photos above the bed, but they're not centered. It gives me the impression that the room's proportions are off somehow, or that the room is too small for standard bedroom furniture.
- balcony/patio is lovely and a nice outdoor space but over crowded. Could you store some of the patio furniture? Looks too small/crowded to actually use and enjoy the space.
-

Old 08-09-2013, 04:39 AM

32,875 posts, read 12,268,216 times
I agree with the advice to hire a stager, someone who can make your home look like a million bucks, or at least a half million.

The fish tank in front of the window, the window coverings, the art work, the pink chair and bench crowded in next to the bed with the Target lamp on the other side, the electric cord draped across the patio wall, the patio furniture covered in sheets... none of this looks like a half million dollar home to me.

You are selling a dream, a vision of gracious living. Help buyers envision that dream.

Get rid of the fish tanks. Add some plants. It will improve the smell as well as the looks of the place.

I would encourage you to pull your home off the market, invest in some upscale staging, visit homes in your price range to see how your home compares, get your real estate agent to pull some recent comps, then get some professional photos and put it back on the market at a realistic price.

Some real estate agents will suggest an unrealistic price in order to get the listing. Not saying this is what is happening here, but if a similar but slightly smaller home sold for $410,000, not sure buyers are going to see a few more square feet and your stainless steel stove and refrigerator adding $60,000 in value.

You may want to consider a new agent in a new agency. Not sure this one is doing you any favors and perhaps you need someone with more get up and go than merely "waiting for the right buyer."

Old 08-09-2013, 06:09 AM

279 E Santa Fe Ct, Placentia, CA 92870 - Recently Sold Home Price - realtor.com®

Scroll down to the Homes Nearby list. You have the most expensive home listed. Apparently, 4 homes have sold on Santa Fe Ct. This one for $410,000. The rest in the $300,000 range. One was 170 sq ft smaller than yours and sold for $310,000. Yikes!

None of those for sale have been staged or professionally photographed. One is empty.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:43 AM

By the way, even if the right buyer offers you $470,000, if the bank appraisal does not come in at that amount, it's back to the drawing board.

Might as well price it realistically from the get go.

Good luck.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:32 AM

45,270 posts, read 85,685,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
By the way, even if the right buyer offers you $470,000, if the bank appraisal does not come in at that amount, it's back to the drawing board.

Might as well price it realistically from the get go.

Good luck.

I think that's basically what we've all been saying

He wanted advice, I hope he'll take it

Old 08-09-2013, 11:45 AM

8 posts, read 6,070 times
Thanks for the advice. As you see we already lowered the price. I will work on re-staging some of the house and re-doing the pictures.
One problem is that we actually live here and will until we sell it. We have also visited other houses(looking for our future home) and I think our inside stuff compares to most. Right now I am not going to spend money on hiring a staging company.
The good thing is if doesn’t sell, we always have next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or