Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:59 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times

Advertisements

So, we bought a house last year and shortly thereafter the neighbor's adult son is who is severly mentally ill moved back in with his father. The guy is in his mid 40's and barely functional, and has quite an addiction to methamphetamine. Since he's been there it's been a constant cycle of working odd jobs, binging for days, then going through angry violent withdrawals before starting over again.

We're done dealing with it, but now we have to figure out what to do with the house. If it weren't for this problem, it would probably be worth around $500K. I have no idea what it's worth with this kind of issue but likely much less. Needless to say it doesn't really appeal to the kinds of families with young kids that might be shopping for a home in the neighborhood.

We could rent it out, but again, the problem isn't going to make it easy to attract quality tenants. We might be limited to section 8's or kids looking for a 'party house'. At least that way we could hold on to it and hope the problem improves at some point.

Any tips/advice from people who have run into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:03 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Are you seriously saying that you would have a half a million dollar house, but the presence of this guy only leaves you the option of Section 8 renting??

You are not required to disclose his presence. IS he a daily problem for you?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:04 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post

We could rent it out, but again, the problem isn't going to make it easy to attract quality tenants.
How will they know? Is it somehow obvious? It's one thing for your house to be stigmatized in some way but something entirely different if it's a neighboring house. There are 'neighbor problems' everywhere and they are not your responsibility. Really careful prospects will interview the neighbors in advance. Some people consider that weird and I've never really done it (except by chance) but I don't think it's a bad idea. As your post indicates, neighbors matter.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Are you seriously saying that you would have a half a million dollar house, but the presence of this guy only leaves you the option of Section 8 renting??

You are not required to disclose his presence. IS he a daily problem for you?
Yes, unfortunately that is the case. My state requires disclosure of an issue like this. It's not something easy to hide, nor would I want to hide it for liability reasons. Most tenants would either leave or be very irritated to find out about it after the fact.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
How will they know? Is it somehow obvious? It's one thing for your house to be stigmatized in some way but something entirely different if it's a neighboring house. There are 'neighbor problems' everywhere and they are not your responsibility. Really careful prospects will interview the neighbors in advance. Some people consider that weird and I've never really done it (except by chance) but I don't think it's a bad idea. As your post indicates, neighbors matter.
Yes, the screaming and weird behavior is pretty obvious. He also likes to make a point of staring down any visitors, even the pizza delivery guy! The police are out there every day or two, so that's another give away.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Wow, I just learned something. I had no idea.

Apparently my state has this mandatory requirement as well.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:04 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,359 times
Default State Farm!

Hmm...entrap him into something which gets him put away for 10 to 20

Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,852 times
Quote:
Yes, the screaming and weird behavior is pretty obvious. He also likes to make a point of staring down any visitors, even the pizza delivery guy! The police are out there every day or two, so that's another give away.
What an awful situation.
If it is that obvious to you as neighbours, it must be really bad inside that house.

Have you tried talking to the father of this guy? He might not know what to do with his son.

You might suggest that he call these folks in your neck of the woods.
King County Crisis and Commitment Services

If he won't call them then you call them. The police always accompany the crisis team to a call like this (around here anyway) so be sure to mention that there have been prior police calls to this home.

No one should have to put up with this type of behavior in their neighbourhood.
Good luck!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default Give him heavier drugs

as a gift.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Yes, unfortunately that is the case. My state requires disclosure of an issue like this. It's not something easy to hide, nor would I want to hide it for liability reasons. Most tenants would either leave or be very irritated to find out about it after the fact.
How awful!

It seems to me that you should at least try discussing this with your neighbor though.

Surely he is miserable himself with all this going on. Perhaps if you told him you are looking into selling just to get away from the situation he might see that his son needs a permanent placement somewhere?

Also, is it possible if you got an attorney that the father could be legally compelled to get the son out of the home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate