U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 03:12 PM

104 posts, read 230,408 times

Advertisements

Hello, great forum everyone!
we have our house on the market for a couple of months now. it is a higher priced home and is priced lower than similar homes on the market right now. while the houses in town in a lower price range are flying off the shelves!, the higher priced homes are not. we have people come to look every week, we have had brokers opens and 2 open houses, we have reduced the price and have had no negative comments from buyers nor agents. the house is staged perfectly. of the 20+ potential buyers that have come thru, not only have they not made an offer on my home, but they have not made offers on my competition either. i am pretty sure the agents are bringing thru qualified buyers. our town is very desirable, great location, and known for a good school system
my question is does is take longer for higher priced homes to sell?
i have read the 1st 2 quarters of 2013 were strong, but they are not expecting the 2nd half of the year to be as strong. are there a lot of buyers in the Fall and just before the end of the year? my home was listed in late Spring. & as i said had lots of showings, just no offers
Looking for a crystal ball i guess patience certainly is a virtue, (but it's frustrating)
i appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 04:05 PM

26,423 posts, read 57,034,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luluwas View Post
we have people come to look every week,
we have had brokers opens and 2 open houses,
we have reduced the price and
have had no negative comments from buyers nor agents.
the house is staged perfectly.
our town is very desirable, great location, and known for a good school system

while the houses in town in a lower price range are flying off the shelves,
the higher priced homes are not.

we have our house on the market for a couple of months now.
it is a higher priced home...

my question is does is take longer for higher priced homes to sell?
The only thing that takes longer are OVER priced houses

Quote:
of the 20+ potential buyers that have come thru not only have they not made an offer
on my home, but they have not made offers on my competition either.
i am pretty sure the agents are bringing thru qualified buyers.
zero for twenty? really?
You know what the first rule of sales is? Qualify the prospect.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 PM

6,958 posts, read 18,406,692 times
Once again, the location of the real estate in question is important. What real estate market are you in?

Old 08-09-2013, 04:27 PM

41,297 posts, read 31,315,546 times
I live and work in an area similar to your area.

Your local market has rejected your offer to sell at your current price point. It's up to you to counter with a more realistic asking price or remain amongst the unsellables.

Despite the hype, in most areas of the U.S., sellers continue to decide between getting sold or getting their price.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 PM

66 posts, read 116,975 times
if it listed at a good price, it can be sold in 24 hours

Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,093 posts, read 49,828,962 times
Here the homes priced $400,00-$600,00 are selling in a few days with multiple offers over asking. Those in the next group up to 1.2 million are taking longer but still selling well, only the high priced homes over 1.2 are taking longer. The people moving here recently for the jobs available are at about $100,000-150,000 income, so the homes that sell are those they can afford.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Status: "42 restaurants within 6 blocks of my house" (set 5 days ago)

13,051 posts, read 18,456,786 times
Default Whatever happened to

PLEASE tell us your location when asking questions.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 PM

5,205 posts, read 7,984,790 times
29 1/2 days.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 PM

104 posts, read 230,408 times
location monmouth county new jersey. i guess the only answer i will get is lower your price.
Hemlock140 your answer seems to be closer to my point.
i think when you are in a higher price range and there are less homes to choose from you take your time. i don't have a problem reducing the price but i am just wondering if that is what the issue is. (i did recently reduce my price substantially) i have people coming knowing what the price is and seeing pics and web tours so i am just wondering if it is a different pool of buyers.
i find it puzzling that none of the local agents had anything to complain about price or otherwise and yet no offers not even a low ball.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:05 AM

26,423 posts, read 57,034,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luluwas View Post
location monmouth county new jersey.
change your user control panel for adding that.
(my settings at top of page)

Quote:
i think when you are in a higher price range and there are less homes to choose from
you take your time.
Why? The buyers in those markets surely aren't taking their time.
They're hooked up with their agents and stand ready to pounce the minute a new listing is up.
You've had twenty of them walk through and move on for some reason...
Probably another twenty (or fifty) did similar while still online.

Quote:
i guess the only answer i will get is lower your price.
all else being equal...

Quote:
i am just wondering if that is what the issue is .. none of the local agents had anything
to complain about price or otherwise and yet no offers not even a low ball.
That is telling as obviously *something* isn't adding up. Those you believe are acting in your
best interests either won't talk about it (or can't talk about it) or are too oblivious to see it.

Find some fresh impartial eyes. Start with the few hundred a pro appraisal will cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or