Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times

Advertisements

Having a realtor show your home is also a bad idea. They are walking into an unknown home they have never been in and they know almost nothing about it. I am not sure what benefit that is supposed to have for buyer looking at it with them.

As a seller, I cannot tell you how many phone calls I got having to go through realtor middle-men asking all kinds of important questions about my property. If the buyer was present at the showing, a person would be there who actually knew something about the property, and they could actually answer questions without having to wait for realtors to track owners down and relay info through 3 phone calls days later.

However, I do agree that there are way too many over-emotional sellers out there who would not do well being present;
The main part being that home owners do not know how to use psychology and lie properly to manipulate buyers. That in itself, is an art that good realtors excel at...And before I am bashed, my own mother is realtor, so I know this based on personal exp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
HOME INSPECTION.

Who would buy a home without that step anyway?

Like I said, after the terms of the offer were agreed upon, I wouldn't mind touring the home with the seller present, so they could fill me in on the smaller details. But I don't want them around on the initial home tour. I want to be able to speak freely without feeling constrained, and I don't want to have to worry about offending the seller on the very front end. (I don't want to offend them at any point, but especially before any terms of an offer are discussed.)

Old 08-14-2013, 10:47 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
[quote=[B]Bmachina[/b];30956385]

Having a realtor show your home is also a bad idea. They are walking into an unknown home they have never been in and they know almost nothing about it. I
am not sure what benefit that is supposed to have for buyer looking at it with them.

As a seller, I cannot tell you how many phone calls I got having to go through realtor middle-men asking all kinds of important questions about my property. If the buyer was present at the showing, a person would be there who actually knew something about the property, and they could actually answer questions without having to wait for realtors to track owners down and relay info through 3 phone calls days later.

Actually, that's not exactly true.

Many many realtors preview homes for their clients. They definitely want to see it before bringing a buyer to it.

In addition, it's the realtors job to research the home and its past history. They do this thru county records and even go out and talk to others familiar with the property to "get the scoop".

Those realtors calling and bugging you for info are doing their job for their buyer clients.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Actually, that's not exactly true.

Many many realtors preview homes for their clients. They definitely want to see it before bringing a buyer to it.
I assume that is the main reason people have broker open houses. So that agents are familiar with the house.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:42 AM

[quote=lovesMountains;30959020]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Bmachina[/b];30956385]

In addition, it's the realtors job to research the home and its past history. They do this thru county records and even go out and talk to others familiar with the property to "get the scoop".

Those realtors calling and bugging you for info are doing their job for their buyer clients.
I wonder how many sellers have had a realtor who is doing a future showing, actually do a "preview viewing" to learn about the house, and then also do all of the other research you mentioned?

I have sold 3 homes and never had this happen. They all just walk in blind for the first time to show the home. Many times they are carting buyers around all day showing them 5 or more homes; they normally never do all this work to learn about the house beforehand, at least I never heard of this being the norm for regular home showings.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:47 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
[quote=Bmachina;30959892]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I wonder how many sellers have had a realtor who is doing a future showing, actually do a "preview viewing" to learn about the house, and then also do all of the other research you mentioned?

I have sold 3 homes and never had this happen. They all just walk in blind for the first time to show the home. Many times they are carting buyers around all day showing them 5 or more homes; they normally never do all this work to learn about the house beforehand, at least I never heard of this being the norm for regular home showings.

If you were selling all 3 of those homes yourself it is unlikely that agents would call you to preview it.

That's because most agents won't waste their time on FSBO's.

But when homes are listed in the MLS it is very common for agents to preview the homes they plan to show their buyers before taking the buyer out.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:51 AM

I never sold a FSBO. All were bought and sold via realtors.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
First this is a startup. So steer clear.

Second, sellers don't know when to shut up. Worse still, a buyer might selectively forget a few things. The buyer needs to see the home as represented on a standardized listing sheet. The positive things about the property should be represented professionally by the realtor on the MLS listing. And if the realtor is worth his salt he anticipates problems before they arise. (Our experience with our last very good realtor.)

Third, you need reasonable people to negotiate. If the realtors involved are good at their jobs, they will look out for their buyers/sellers.

Fourth. You need presence on the web. I question whether the start up can get that for you.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:58 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,738,739 times
When we were looking at homes in Grants Pass, Oregon, the last home was a for sale by owner.
We spent more than an hour with the owner, his wife, three kids, a dog, and Grandma all present. It was a great house and they could tell us what the taxes cost, the utilities, about the neighbors, in short we received more info than any realtor would have been able to provide. We just pulled in their driveway after noticing the sign and told them we are from Orange County, not quite ready to pull the trigger, but interested in what can we get in Oregon for the $ 275 K asking price. The owners were extremely friendly and knowledgeable. Super neat family.
We took maybe 80 photos, using two cameras, and I still have the pictures on the computer. If we'd decide on Grants Pass, that house would be on our short list, even if it was sold by now I would go back just to retrieve some good memories.
Come to think of it, once we sell our townhouse and start shopping for our next place, with cash in the bank, I'd like to ask our buyer's agent that the sellers stay at home, and show us all the little details no professional agent would know. We are gracious enough to compliment on their green carpets if the rest of the house looks acceptable.
As for prospective buyers in our home complaining about our choice of wallpaper, in front of me, shame on them, well, I have bigger things to worry about; yes, definitely, like the price of beer.

Last edited by mgforshort; 07-14-2014 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate