U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 PM

2,524 posts, read 3,770,677 times

Advertisements

I know you do your dealings with the realtors, but if you are interested in a house for sale, would it be ok to pick up the phone and call the owners to discuss the house instead of asking your realtor to ask their realtor? I am asking out of curiosity because I see some posts making comments about communications that are taking place between sellers and potential buyers prior to closing and I wondered how common this was.

I can understand if For Sale by Owner, but if both sides have realtors, how common is it? Thanks.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 08-18-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 01:22 PM

2,924 posts, read 5,816,443 times
As either buyer or seller I would prefer to communicate through a realtor. There are lots of reasons- a bit of time to think about a response, less likelihood of saying something that would ***** the deal (or even be outright illegal),...

Old 08-18-2013, 01:24 PM

2,924 posts, read 5,816,443 times
Apparently a particular word (not obscene and commonly used in this expression) is considered to be improper by this site. Curious.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:09 PM

9,443 posts, read 11,835,401 times
Many Realtors don't like it (and some even try to create the impression that "it simply isn't allowed"). However, there is absolutely nothing to prohibit direct contact -- and in some cases, it may be the best approach.

This may particularly be true when a potential buyer wants to talk to the seller about specific aspects of an offer or negotiation (Comp. justification, sale timing issues, multiple offers, etc), without the 'communication complication' of passing everything through six 'hands' (buyer - realtor 1, realtor 2, seller, realtor 2, realtor 1, buyer) -- That said, it's probably best to handle all 'formal negotiations' through Realtors... just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:38 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,270,841 times
I have worked with Buyers and Sellers that have communicated directly with very little harm, but it was usually about inquiring "Will that light fixture stay with the house?" or "How does that set back thermostat work?" If fact I once sold a house after having the Buyer come over and ask questions about the home. They were happy to get a clearer picture of some of the features of the home.

However, important things like price, disclosures (this is particularly important) concessions, dates, etc. should always be done in writing. It is too easy for someone to misconstrue or misunderstand what someone is asking or stating. The last thing you want is a situation where "He said - she said". Experienced agents should know best how to word contract clauses that will withstand a legal challenge.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:15 PM

17,579 posts, read 41,311,571 times
As a seller the one of the reason I hired a realtor was so I didn't have to talk with buyers.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 AM

16,071 posts, read 20,794,795 times
I'm in the crowd that believes buyers and sellers shouldn't talk, or meet, until after the deal is done. You just never know what is going to set someone off (i.e. I didn't know I was selling my home to someone who was X color! I didn't know I was selling my home to someone of X religion! I don't like that they told me they are going to rip out my beautiful kitchen! I didn't know that somebody died in that house until the seller mentioned it, etc. etc. etc.)

That said, if the buyer and seller insist on speaking, I'd keep everything in writing - or at least confirm the verbal agreements with an email detailing the conversation, then asking for the other party to say "I agree" and hit the reply button on the email. Verbal agreements mean nothing, even when it comes to light fixtures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or