Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:09 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A good reason to get a Title Insurance Policy paid for by the seller. Doesn't Florida do Title Policies ?

The Insurance Policy should take care of this problem.
But it sounds like the title policy only covered the value of the land--not the house which was subsequently built upon it. So, theoretically, a title company could get out of it by only paying for the value insured.

Also from the story, if I read it correctly, was that the lien was not recorded against the property, but that it was a general lien simply recorded in the County which supposedly affected all properties owned by the debtor. If that was the case, Florida should seriously consider changing their state law. A lien, IMO, should be recorded against a particular property--otherwise it's not the best form of public notice, as this case demonstrates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:56 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
A competent title searcher should have found the lien. A title search searches for liens not only against the property but also against the grantor ( the person selling the property). Then it's the job of the title searcher to read those liens, easements, etc. found and determine, which, if any, may apply to the property in question. Somebody dropped the ball or the buyer was bamboozled by the seller who seems to have been wearing several hats.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Also from the story, if I read it correctly, was that the lien was not recorded against the property, but that it was a general lien simply recorded in the County which supposedly affected all properties owned by the debtor
Sounds like ammunition for a lawyer.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:16 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
The lawyers were also the sellers.
Then the buyer is stupid. This is also conflict of interest.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
I think its the title insurance's job to make sure there are no issues in that area of the sale.

If anything goes wrong, they ought to pay. They are supposed to run a search to make sure there are no issues. If they don't find something that's out there, its on them.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I think its the title insurance's job to make sure there are no issues in that area of the sale.

If anything goes wrong, they ought to pay. They are supposed to run a search to make sure there are no issues. If they don't find something that's out there, its on them.
I predict a certain law firm's attorneys losing their FL license and a title company going out of business over this incredibly stupid transaction.

There is no excuse for the seller's actions and the title agent for not catching this from the beginning.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:19 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Then the buyer is stupid. This is also conflict of interest.
Yeah but they probably didn't have to pay any stupid Realtor commission.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Yeah but they probably didn't have to pay any stupid Realtor commission.

While I agree, this situation was far over the head of most realtors. No matter how much some try and play lawyers, few are. I seriously doubt a realtor could have protected anyone.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:15 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I seriously doubt a realtor could have protected anyone.
Absolutely true and the sad thing is the many realtors who tried to work with this type of transaction would have advised the buyer to consult a real estate attorney. Didn't work to well in this story for the buyer.

Reminds me about the joke about a dozen lawyers up to their neck in concrete.........not enough concrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate