Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:59 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
I've used a buyer's agent from a huge national real estate company. They had a 10+ page offer contract that's pre-written. It's for a standard sale with a listing agent (not a FSBO). On the contract, the buyer's agent checks some boxes, fills-in some blanks (or leaves empty), and signs. This agent said that having a real estate attorney review the offer contract isn't necessary, but I could pay for it if I wanted it done.

Are real estate attorneys needed to review standard sale offers from a major RE company's buyer's agent/contract? If so...

Should the initial written offer be reviewed by a RE attorney before submitting it to the seller? Or, is it better to wait until the seller signs the offer? (Saves wasted time/money if the offer is flat rejected without countering).
Some say not necessary and I say abso-friggin-lutely - ESPECIALLY in this case and because the company is national or major. You see, a contract written for everyone is not specific to you, your state, this situation. This is the single largest investment you will make in your life and you're going to trust it to someone writing a contract for everyone - not only that but "blanks" are a major no-no to this retired paralegal. Also, have you ever heard of "gee, I didn't mean to check that box this time, it doesn't apply/mean/whatever. Just ignore it." Un hunh, yup, right. So, to protect your $200K, $400K, or whatever investment, you'll just wing it? Some states DO have a contract that is written by lawyers specifically for that state, and I'd be more inclined to say ok, but if you're not in that state, then heck no.

OTOH, if you are comfortable trusting your understanding and knowledge of contracts and contract law and you actually read every single word, then go for it. I did with our contracts - even to having one agent sit there sighing as I read every single word, put a "-----X----" through every space left blank and added some of my own wording where the contract was missing it. Will you recognize that?

Quote:
Do RE attorneys visit the property before reviewing the contract, or at least look at the online listing to get an understanding of the property before they go over the contract? They might see a potential legal issue to avoid upfront with a specifically worded clause in the contract. For example, the seller's Uncle JoeBob is living on the RV pad may refuse to leave after the house is sold.
Not without a compelling reason and then it would definitely cost you more. There's little reason - if Uncle Bob is on the RV pad, then you should have seen that situation and so inform YOUR attorney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I would think you would want an attorney to review the contract BEFORE you sign it. Afterwards makes little sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 06:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I would think you would want an attorney to review the contract BEFORE you sign it. Afterwards makes little sense.
I guess it depends what state your are in. In NJ there is a 3 day attorney review period after the contracts have been agreed upon by both parties. I certainly wouldn't want to waste money on an attorney if I don't even know if the contract was accepted.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:04 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Should the initial written offer be reviewed by a RE attorney before submitting it to the seller? Or, is it better to wait until the seller signs the offer? (Saves wasted time/money if the offer is flat rejected without countering).
If you're going to engage the services of a qualified real estate attorney, you should do so before submitting an offer. Once a contract has been executed, it's pretty much too late (unless there's a statutory review period).

I generally do not like the long, legalistic contracts that used to be commonplace. I don't know what your proposed contract looks like, but you need to read it very carefully beforehand. If you have any doubts about it, you should contact an attorney. And since there apparently may be someone living on the property, the contract should specifically call out the situation and, preferably, require the property to be free of any tenant prior to closing.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:12 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
ive had good luck with attorneys, and not so good luck,
the lawyers get paid on "billable hours"
and if another attorney is involved, then you are set up for war, (they both get paid on billable hours, not solutions, not conclusions)

most real estate contracts were written by lawyers, and if things arent spelled out or clear enough,,,then yes hire a lawyer.
i see it mostly on commercial properties up this way, not on residential

Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
ive had good luck with attorneys, and not so good luck,
the lawyers get paid on "billable hours"
and if another attorney is involved, then you are set up for war, (they both get paid on billable hours, not solutions, not conclusions)

most real estate contracts were written by lawyers, and if things arent spelled out or clear enough,,,then yes hire a lawyer.
i see it mostly on commercial properties up this way, not on residential
Usually a flat fee in NJ.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:34 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Some say not necessary and I say abso-friggin-lutely - ESPECIALLY in this case and because the company is national or major. You see, a contract written for everyone is not specific to you, your state, this situation. This is the single largest investment you will make in your life and you're going to trust it to someone writing a contract for everyone - not only that but "blanks" are a major no-no to this retired paralegal. Also, have you ever heard of "gee, I didn't mean to check that box this time, it doesn't apply/mean/whatever. Just ignore it." Un hunh, yup, right. So, to protect your $200K, $400K, or whatever investment, you'll just wing it? Some states DO have a contract that is written by lawyers specifically for that state, and I'd be more inclined to say ok, but if you're not in that state, then heck no.
I think you may be misjudging the situation. Most of these forms are not national forms. In fact, most of these real estate brokerages are not national brokerages either. While the brand is national, the location is often an independent franchise or a member of a local franchise group. The forms more often than not are ones developed by the local Realtor board and the brokerage just throws their logo on top to make it look like it's their form. So, in truth these forms are written specifically for transactions in that state and they're trial tested in the courts of that state and re-written when new case law is created.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:06 AM

311 posts, read 450,647 times
Would it be a waste of money to hire a RE attorney to review a contract if you are buying a new build in a new community?

Old 03-27-2014, 11:39 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallahoohoo View Post
Would it be a waste of money to hire a RE attorney to review a contract if you are buying a new build in a new community?
It depends on what you considered "waste". Will the attorney be able to make any changes? No. What you get from the builder is what it is. They will not change anything. Is it good to have their contract explained to you so you understand it? Yes. This is because Realtors can't practice law, which would include interpreting a contract. We are allowed to explain our state forms because we use them everyday, but a builder's contract is different and an attorney could explain it.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:08 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallahoohoo View Post
No, I don't believe it would be a waste of money to hire an experienced real estate attorney to review a contract for a new build. All contracts are negotiable--even ones offered by builders--so it's important to fully understand the contract being proposed and to recognize when other terms would be preferable. Contracts from builders can be especially one-sided since they are most often written by the builder's attorney to be solely in the builder's benefit. There are enough horror stories about buyers being cheated by builders that would render attorney review worthwhile.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:30 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
The sales contracts are written to benefit the sales person and to protect their commissions. Although there some laws regulating them they are not written as a consumer protection document.

Before signing a legal document for such a huge purchase see your lawyer first as anyone else has a financial interest in the outcome of the deal. It is just pure common sense. There are many threads here started by buyers/sellers who failed to seek legal advice before the sales people influenced them. This especially true for young first time buyers who think that a sales person will look out for their interest. You have every right to seek legal advice from local, qualified professionals and use only independent inspectors, appraisers if you chose to go forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate