Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridmap View Post
Come on.. some one has to have a great reason to buy.. We know investment is a lousy reason..
Not everyone should buy a house. But for those who wish to, financial reasons are oftentimes not the prime motivation.

For me, however, financial reasons have always been a prime consideration in owning a house. After college, I never paid a penny in rent. I saved thousands of dollars by not paying for someone else's house or apartment building, and I never experienced the uncertainty of eviction on a whim. Sure, there's pride of ownership--and more freedom to do as you please--but the bottom line is it has saved me a ton of money. In that sense alone, home ownership has been a great investment (and that's not even taking into account the value of appreciation).

But there's no good reason to buy a house above your means, or to put yourself so deeply in debt that you can't get out. With discipline, most people should be able to pay off a house within 10-15 years, if not much sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
... there's no good reason to buy a house above your means, or to put yourself so deeply in debt that you can't get out. With discipline, most people should be able to pay off a house within 10-15 years, if not much sooner.
Absolutely true. Mortgagors often don't want big down payments (like 50%) but they'll make 'em.

It's interesting how home buying is now "not an investment", but until 5-6 years ago, it was considered the best investment and often the largest investment most people ever made. Now, because of a stale economy like we haven't seen in 80 years, it's suddenly not an investment.

How many people have bought a home, paid it off in 20 years, and NOT realized a major profit?

My first house (1972) paid $26,000. Sold it after 3 years for $52,000.
Second house (1975) paid $69,500. Ex-wife sold it in 2011 for $280,000
Current house (bought as a rental in 1981) for $87,000. Appraisal 2 years ago was $240,000.

Normally, houses do appreciate in value, just as the stock market does. There will be ups and downs with both, but held over time, both go up in value, usually to several times the original purchase price before the mortgage is paid.

As for the person who said he/she wouldn't buy unless interest rates fall below 5%, that's a bad decision. If rates fall, refinance. If they increase, you're locked in at the lower rate. But don't gamble on an adjustable rate loan.

I think, in most places, now is a great time to buy a home. Interest rates are still very, very low. When I was selling homes, interest rates were 15-17%! I still managed to sell 20-25 homes per year. Most of those homes sold for $70-80K and payments were around $1500/month. As interest rates dropped, they were refinanced. Today, 30 years later, those homes are selling for $250K.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:00 AM

55 posts, read 78,988 times
That's right, home prices go up but homeowners spend more than their gain in mortgage interest, property tax, property insurance, realtor commissions, repairs and maintainace. Renters don't. It's almost the same financially, unless your home values appreciate miraculously higher.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Shade View Post
That's right, home prices go up but homeowners spend more than their gain in mortgage interest, property tax, property insurance, realtor commissions, repairs and maintainace. Renters don't. It's almost the same financially, unless your home values appreciate miraculously higher.
Now you're getting silly. Renters pay for all those expenses and more--they're just paying for someone else's expenses through their rent. I should know. I used to be a landlord.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:28 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,459 times
Quote:
Now you're getting silly. Renters pay for all those expenses and more--they're just paying for someone else's expenses through their rent. I should know. I used to be a landlord.
It depends upon how high rents are in an area compared to price of owning. We can't apply it as a universal law.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
It depends upon how high rents are in an area compared to price of owning. We can't apply it as a universal law.
Not so. Regardless of whether rents are high or low, if a landlord doesn't cover all of his expenses through rental payments, he will soon be out of business.

How many years of experience do you have as a landlord?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,459 times
Quote:
Not so. Regardless of whether rents are high or low, if a landlord doesn't cover all of his expenses through rental payments, he will soon be out of business.

How many years of experience do you have as a landlord?
This is the reason that makes renting a better option in some cases and owning in other. I've been a landlord since 50+ years.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 AM

14 posts, read 17,339 times
Quote:
N I never paid a penny in rent.
e

Thats admirable. However, if you took a mortgage you may not have paid "rent" but you did pay a cost.

The home that you bought in when you were young must be extremely outdated unless you have rehabbed it

And too me that ability, the skills to re-hab a house, give a huge advantage to buying a home over renting. No rehab skills? You are at a disadvantage as a homeowner in my opinion. I ain't got them skills, nor do I like lawn work.

I hire folks to do it which is an incremental cost. Older people often say to heck with that part of housing, but it's not clear if they care about ownership as much as younger folk.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Simple - what will you have 20 or 30 years down the road if you just rent all your life? I attribute more than 80% of our net worth to real estate, that is either paid for or almost paid for. That investment will afford us a comfortable retirement. And we did it with funds little or no more than we would have been paying the last 30 years, in rent. Our current home is almost paid for, and our total house payment including taxes and insurance, is about half what it would rent for. Is your rent tax deductible like mortgage interest is?

So, why would you NOT buy a home?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
Rent vs Buy depends on many factors. It's not a simple answer that apply to all. Everyone situation is different. There are some market that it makes absolutely zero sense to buy.

Now with the example of a $500K home renting for $2800/month. If the number work out so favorable for the renter? Why would an owner want to rent it out? If they do, there would be a very short supply of those rental. From an investment perspective, why would someone sink $500K into home just to rent it out for $2800/month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate