U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 PM

175 posts, read 301,491 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. First time posting her but we are about to put our house on the market. We have only lived here a year, but we are relocating so must sell. We paid 280 for the house but the zestimate is up to 312. The market has really turned and houses are flying off the market where we live. That being said, would it be reasonable to ask our realtor for a negotiated lower rate? We thought about FSBO too, but I have two small children and my husband will be out of town working during the week plus we want it to sale quickly. We were thinking of asking 2 or 2.5% if it sells within a month. Is that a reasonable request or do realtor's get offended by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,213,855 times
No one can really answer this. Ask. The worst that can happen is they say no. And if they get offended you probably don't want them as a realtor in the first place.

Although I wouldn't base my choice or realtor solely on the commission .

Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,985,963 times
everything is negotiable, but be mindful that in some industries, discount pricing comes with discount service

Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 PM

29,889 posts, read 34,435,319 times
Are you going to offer enough in the MLS to be competitive for a Buyers agent to bring you a Buyer ?

Is that 2% to be split between the listing and buyers agents and their Brokers ?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,874,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahope1980 View Post
Hi everyone. First time posting her but we are about to put our house on the market. We have only lived here a year, but we are relocating so must sell. We paid 280 for the house but the zestimate is up to 312. The market has really turned and houses are flying off the market where we live. That being said, would it be reasonable to ask our realtor for a negotiated lower rate? We thought about FSBO too, but I have two small children and my husband will be out of town working during the week plus we want it to sale quickly. We were thinking of asking 2 or 2.5% if it sells within a month. Is that a reasonable request or do realtor's get offended by this?
First, the "zestimate" is next to useless as a pricing tool. If it happens to be accurate in relation to what a true property & market analysis shows as a list price, it's just a coincidence.

There are lots of brokerage companies out there, and many many agents. All of them have the right & ability to offer all sorts of different options for compensation if you hire them to market your house. You have the ability to negotiate for whatever pricing method & amount you want. So go ahead and negotiate for the price & service that works for you. Just be aware that the lowest price you can get will rarely be offered by the agent providing the best or most complete service.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:55 PM

175 posts, read 301,491 times
Thanks for the advice everyone. Our home will likely sale for 300-315 based on some recent comps, so we were thinking 2% wouldn't be that bad of a takeaway for our agent especially since he just maid over 15,000 on us last June. We would definitely still pay the buyer's agent even if we did FSBO, b/c we won't get any traffic otherwise. I know there's more to it than putting a sign in the yard, but we live in the most desirable suburb of Nashville and homes in our neighborhood are selling within a week of being on the market if they aren't overpriced. I just hate to give someone a full 3% if our house sales that quickly.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:05 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,213,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahope1980 View Post
I just hate to give someone a full 3% if our house sales that quickly.
I understand what you are saying. But think of it from this perspective. You want your house to sell. And presumably as fast as possible. So if that happens you want to pay your agent less. But if it took them longer you would want to pay them more?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:01 AM

14,270 posts, read 17,421,080 times
Listen to Bill Keegan and Manderly.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 AM

29,889 posts, read 34,435,319 times
Keep in mind much of a good agents skill and expertise is to maximize your sales price.

It's easy to sell when you discount. It requires a high level of skill to sell and negotiate the absolutely best price and other terms of the contract to benefit you.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:32 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,532,288 times
If you list with an agent, it's not 2% or 3% to them; it's 5% or 6% to them and they keep it all if the buyers have no agent.

Think your biggest issue is that you are considering only one agent, the one you used before. You need to find other agents in the area and pit them against each other- tell them all, whichever one of you bids 5% with reduction to 4% if there is no buyers broker first gets the deal. And work hardest on the one who does not have a lot of other listings but is still with a big firm and will get your listing on the MLS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or