Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:22 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,745,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaliyahm22 View Post
Now that's a masterpiece and a great idea to work upon.
But the problem is here, he said that more many days he , wasn't getting a good deal to sell his house. How can he be able to get a potential renter..
If I were looking to rent, I'd easily rent a home that I necessarily wouldn't consider buying. I'm a lot more picky about what home I buy than what home I move into for a year or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 03:52 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,183,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaliyahm22 View Post
Now that's a masterpiece and a great idea to work upon.
But the problem is here, he said that more many days he , wasn't getting a good deal to sell his house. How can he be able to get a potential renter..
There are plenty of people who can't get a mortgage that would love to rent a nice house. I would take a low offer on a sale before I would ever go through the aggravation of renting again. Remember you can easily get a judgement against a bad tenant. Collecting on it is another thing.
For anyone considering renting I would seriously suggest you get a copy of your state's LandLord /Tennant regs and study it. A wrong move can cost you money even with a very bad tenant you could have to pay them double or triple something like a security deposit.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:26 AM

173 posts, read 351,492 times
I'm mostly just going to agree with the first responders. I rented my home (that I loved), and it was a highly unpleasant experience. It's very different to own a property for solely rental purposes versus renting out a once-beloved home: renters by and large do not take the same care of a property as they would if they owned it, and two of the families I rented to ran out of money and stopped paying. I won't go so far as to say it was a nightmare, but if I have any control over it, I will never rent out my own home again.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:47 AM

40,948 posts, read 49,138,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglion View Post
I won't go so far as to say it was a nightmare, but if I have any control over it, I will never rent out my own home again.
I would not either.

You never want to be a long distant landlord and be prepared to put $10-20k into the house in 3-4 years to get it sold.

It's hard to watch most renters neglect your main loved home.

Pick your renters wisely.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,236,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglion View Post
I'm mostly just going to agree with the first responders. I rented my home (that I loved), and it was a highly unpleasant experience. It's very different to own a property for solely rental purposes versus renting out a once-beloved home: renters by and large do not take the same care of a property as they would if they owned it, and two of the families I rented to ran out of money and stopped paying. I won't go so far as to say it was a nightmare, but if I have any control over it, I will never rent out my own home again.
Hmmm. We considered renting our home instead of selling when we buy another place. But we have lived here for 27 years and raised our children here. It would kill me to see someone destroy it. I guess it would be better, if you were going to have rental property, to buy and rent out a home you had no emotional attachment to.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:46 PM

9,772 posts, read 15,771,278 times
Fortunately, I had a different experience than everyone else. We lived in our house for 12 years and moved away for a job. We decided to rent out the house for a year in case the new job didn't work out. I interviewed potential tenants myself and decided to manage the property myself from long distance - figured I could call up a plumber as easily as a property manager could.

I had a very good feeling about the tenant we eventually got and he had good references from his previous landlord and his job checked out as well as his credit. The tenants were a DREAM! They took care of our house as well as we did, if not better. They added a swing to our swingset, put a tire swing on a tree, put a safety screen on our screen door and hired cleaners on their own before vacating. We got ONE call during the 13 months they lived there and that was to tell us there was a horrible smell coming from the vent. And they were calling to check if it was okay if they went ahead and called the HVAC company to check it out (turned out to be a dead mouse in the vent). Rent was on time every month.

I was scared reading a lot of renting stories, too, but for us, it was a piece of cake. I know we were lucky and that we likely wouldn't get tenants like them again. We ended up putting the house on the market anyway so it was a non-issue. Just thought I'd spread the word that not every tenant is a bad tenant.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:26 PM

17,701 posts, read 29,780,972 times
Default Exactly the same experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Fortunately, I had a different experience...not every tenant is a bad tenant.
Rented it out because we thought we move back into it in 2-3 years. Wound up selling.

That said. If you have never been a landlord. If you do not plan on moving back into the house.
SELL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate