Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 11:34 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We have went with brushed nickel for everything. Door hardware, light fixtures, switch and outlet plates, cabinet hardware, outdoor fixtures, bathroom accents including the towel and toilet paper holders. we love it and it fits us. we also purchased what we figure would last the longest as we want the biggest bang for our buck. Most of our kitchen items are stainless and we will be replacing the stove top, range, refrigerator, and dishwasher with stainless. I don't care if it goes out of style as we like it and plan on staying with it for our lifetime. Our kitchen cabinets will be getting replaced with light colored wood and black granite counter tops. That will be in the future though as we will pay cash for the new kitchen.
Yeah, I always hated ORB, too. I also hate the standard 'antique brass' from the hardware store. We have shiny nickel in the kitchen and shiny brass everywhere else. Weird, I know .

Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I miss my bread drawer!
Oh, I'd love to have a bread drawer again. Why don't they make those anymore! So handy.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Wow, I guess I missed the entire bread drawer thing. You mean that they had a drawer just for bread? Maybe we will have to do that when we redo our kitchen.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:57 PM

355 posts, read 913,152 times
Vessel Bowl sinks. Especially the glass ones. What a mess you make when washing your face or brushing your teeth.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Not to mention trying to clean around the outside at the bottom. You can see every speck of dirt or mold.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
Vessel Bowl sinks. Especially the glass ones. What a mess you make when washing your face or brushing your teeth.
At least the glass sink trend didn't spread to toilets.

Last edited by 43north87west; 10-06-2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old 10-06-2013, 07:29 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Built in desks in the kitchen were supposed to be for the stay at home wife to use for menu planning, bill paying, etc. (She could do the latter while things were in the oven, I suppose.) Made sense in a way, because the husband had the "real" in an office. These days with everyone having their own desk and sometimes each having their own office, not so useful.
You're right. Our former home was built in the late 1950s and had a kitchen with a built in desk. The realtor explained the reasoning behind that concept at the time. The kitchen also had an intercom to the bedrooms where the mother could call everyone for dinner.

While a functional idea at the time, it was useless when we bought the house. Our cat spent a lot of time underneath it. When we remodeled, I didn't miss the desk.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:34 PM

The Intercom

Ah, yes. We had one in one of our Florida houses, which was built in 1990. We never used it as an intercom but it was wonderful to use to play a radio station all over the house, including the pool/lanai area.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You're right. Our former home was built in the late 1950s and had a kitchen with a built in desk. The realtor explained the reasoning behind that concept at the time. The kitchen also had an intercom to the bedrooms where the mother could call everyone for dinner.

While a functional idea at the time, it was useless when we bought the house. Our cat spent a lot of time underneath it. When we remodeled, I didn't miss the desk.
We've had two homes with a kitchen desk, one built in 1977 and one in 1989 (present home). The one in our present home is small and in an odd place and used to sit junk. The kitchen desk in the 1977 house was by the refrigerator, so it was a good spot to sit groceries to be loaded into the fridge. (And the cat liked to sit under it.)

Old 10-08-2013, 07:40 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
I've been seeing those less and less. I'm so glad they're on the way out. I never liked them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

My house was built in the mid-80's and still has the original kitchen with a desk. I like the idea of a desk in the kitchen, but our kitchen is really too small for it. In some larger homes that I've sold, the desk didn't feel as crammed in as ours does and would likely be more than just a spot where junk is thrown as it is in our house. Hopefully, we'll be remodeling our kitchen in a few years and I'm not sure what's going to happen to the desk.

I haven't seen a house built with an intercom in a LONG time. It seems every new house is being built with speakers in every ceiling these days though. I guess to replace the crappy music systems that were often built into these intercoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate