Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:16 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,162,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Not having a separate pantry is a trend I see in many homes. This confuses the heck out of me, doesn't everyone need a pantry?
I have a lot of cabinets in my kitchen, but no pantry. When we were doing the design it just worked better without, and we have three walls of cabinets (most with pull-outs on the bottom) so it really wasn't necessary.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:47 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,350,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I've been seeing that as well in new builds......and it seems designers are planning fewer wall cabinets as well for these open concept kitchens.......Blech.........

Fewer wall cabinets, no pantry.........where's all the kitchen stuff to go?
Agree 100%. Our previous house had only 3 wall cabinets. It was awfully hard to fit the glasses and plates in these cabinets--2 of them were small! Retrieving items from lower cabinets is much harder.

As far as the open concept with kitchens--Ugh!! The open concept we have now sends cooking smells all over the house, even upstairs via the "back stairs."

Old 01-07-2014, 05:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,199,869 times
Those 'open' kitchens without upper cabinets; yeah, let's just put the stuff on shelves where everything will catch dust. That's smart!

I think media rooms will also go away too. I don't know anyone who wants a movie theater in their own house and most families don't seem to watch TV together nowadays; everyone watches stuff on their own mobile devices.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 12,719 times
I have a 50's bathroom....all of the fixtures are white but the tile is white with a pink pattern, the vanity is painted pink, the wallpaper is pink, and the toilet seat is some god awful pink resin with pressed flowers inside! Also can't wait to rip it out and honestly don't really understand what the big deal is. The toilet is from the 50's....you have to hold the flusher down for ages to get a complete flush - do people really want to save that just because it's vinatge?

I could never wrap my head around the notion/trend that older homes should be kept looking old inside. It is not 1950 anymore...time moves on...needs change...functionality changes...tastes change...what's wrong with updating the solid old houses to suit the tastes of the present occupants? It's not erasing the past, it's just moving on with time..you can respect the past and let it go at the same time.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:45 PM

41,895 posts, read 74,988,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBrowsing22 View Post
The toilet is from the 50's....you have to hold the flusher down for ages to get a complete flush - do people really want to save that just because it's vinatge?
Yes.

Once you replace the flushing mechanisms, you have a brand new toilet. Unless it cracks or chips, the porcelain isn't going to wear out.

Quote:
I could never wrap my head around the notion/trend that older homes should be kept looking old inside. It is not 1950 anymore...time moves on...needs change...functionality changes...tastes change
What's wrong with leaving it as is if: a) you like it, and b) if it still functions properly?

Let me introduce you to two phrases, both of which are very useful when it comes to home ownership:

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
You're welcome.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:46 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,617,830 times
It's hard to know, especially since most of what I know about current house trends I learn on HGTV, so who knows how accurate that is?

You can make a distinction between elements that people are going to remove from their homes from things that people just will stop installing. I suspect that most normal people won't throw away their functional granite counters that they paid thousands for just because they get bored with them, probably the same with ceramic tile backsplashes.

I think the most likely thing that will go away, if it hasn't already, is wiring houses for computer networks. Wired networks are not going anywhere in offices, but in homes we can figure on wireless networks for the foreseeable future.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 AM

20 posts, read 31,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I think media rooms will also go away too. I don't know anyone who wants a movie theater in their own house and most families don't seem to watch TV together nowadays; everyone watches stuff on their own mobile devices.
I agree 100% about this ... loss of square footage. This is 2014.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 AM

12 posts, read 18,788 times
Granite !!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:33 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,888,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's hard to know, especially since most of what I know about current house trends I learn on HGTV, so who knows how accurate that is?

You can make a distinction between elements that people are going to remove from their homes from things that people just will stop installing. I suspect that most normal people won't throw away their functional granite counters that they paid thousands for just because they get bored with them, probably the same with ceramic tile backsplashes.

I think the most likely thing that will go away, if it hasn't already, is wiring houses for computer networks. Wired networks are not going anywhere in offices, but in homes we can figure on wireless networks for the foreseeable future.
Agree. We built a new custom house and didn't put CAT wiring anywhere except to the TV (in case we streamed HD movies, which we really don't do). Wifi routers are very fast now (I get download speeds of 50mbps on my iPhone!).

I also think speaker wiring and alarm wiring will go away with the wireless options (e.g. Sonos, AirPlay, Simplisafe...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.