Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Hopefully the splattered pewp brown granite goes out. I see they are still installing it non stop at so many new construction homes I look at.
I still see it everywhere, too. Thousands of new "luxury" apartments are going in where I live and they all have it. The one they use here isn't "splattered," looks like gray cat hair covering mud. Hideous. I can only hope the ubiquitousness will kill it forever. Where in heaven's name is this stuff being dug up that the supply is endless?

Already out in my area (the Southwest): dark wood floors, mosaic glass backsplashes (particularly the metallic ones), raised-panel cabinet doors and dark cherry cabinetry, black appliances, wall-to-wall anywhere except the bedrooms, separate dining rooms in any house under a million dollars, garden tubs, dark bronze faucets (they show calcium deposits), high display shelves, vertical blinds.

Things homeowners all seem to want: gigantic master suites, extra-large showers with multiple sprays and frameless glass doors, dual-flush toilets, wine fridges, quartz instead of granite, undermount sinks no matter what the countertop material is, BIG floor tile, elaborate outdoor dining spaces with fire pit and fountain (more popular than a pool).

Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
I agree with many of the things identified on this thread, and would add:

--the "stripes" of tile in shower stalls in bathrooms. Those just scream early 2010's and it's very easy to foresee buyers soon saying "it's so DATED", the kiss of death on HGTV.

--subway tiles -- personally, I can't wait for this trend to pass, because they always remind me of cinderblock in elementary school halls.

--out here, everything new is "Craftsman style." I think it will be on its way out soon, even though people's home style taste is extremely conservative here.

--two tone kitchens (dark base, light upper cabinets).

Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
My vote is firepits...

Local air management district is already cracking down on these and many cities require fire department approval before use... as compared to buying something with a UL rating...

I'm in the SF Bay Area.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 PM

252 posts, read 580,618 times
Stones which looks like bricks
Real Bricks in some parts of the house to give a vintage look
Light sprays and dots on a bright colored wall

Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I used to hate stainless and granite but I've come to accept the practicality of them. I have neither, Corian counters and black appliances are what I installed during my big kitchen remodel 12 years ago. It still looks great.

For bathrooms I chose cultured marble for bath 1 and quartz for bath 2. I know the marble is very old school but it's off white and gives a nice, clean look to my eye. Also have the big tiles with an "accent stripe" surround over the tub. Mine cracks me up though because I knew it was faddish when I did it, and chose an accent tile that was a little throwback to the 1970's, which was when my house was built. It's neutral and doesn't shout at anyone but even the guy at the tile store tried to talk me out of that "70's looking" tile, but I like my house to look like it was built that way (but obviously way better )

Old 08-30-2013, 12:20 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Stainless has been on the way out for years.
Thought this was a little ironic.

As for my trend-to-hate, it's the completely open concept main floor. Every time I watch...pretty much any show on HGTV I picture the young couples of 20 years from now saying disdainfully -- Goodness! Get some walls up in this warehouse! This place looks soooo dated.

Then I can again be entertained, watching designers rebuild those walls.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:31 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I don't think the mosaic tile backsplashes are out -- they've hardly had a chance to be "in" yet. They are all over the place (including in my newly-renovated kitchen and bathroom!). I have the small squares in my kitchen, and the long strips in the bath. I know they are trendy, but I like them and what would have been a better option? Beige tumbled marble? White subway tile? Ugh....so blah. I don't think they'll be "out" anytime soon because kitchen trends don't change that fast.

The trend I do think is "out", or at least I'm sick of seeing it, is the Tuscan kitchen with the dark cabinets and busy granite.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 AM

774 posts, read 1,693,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post

As for my trend-to-hate, it's the completely open concept main floor. Every time I watch...pretty much any show on HGTV I picture the young couples of 20 years from now saying disdainfully -- Goodness! Get some walls up in this warehouse! This place looks soooo dated.

Then I can again be entertained, watching designers rebuild those walls.
Everybody everybody everybody wants open-plan layouts.

Doesn't anyone like privacy, separation, or quiet, ever??

I have a traditional house where every room but one has proper (solid wood) doors on it.
(And the one which doesn't, I may close off with French doors!)
Wonder if it'll ever sell in today's climate! Fortunately it's not for sale just now

Here are some nice French doors, in the Ansonia (NYC)
Attached Thumbnails
What's the next current trend that will become dated?-door-french-ansonia.jpg  

Old 08-30-2013, 01:07 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
If you watched an evening of HGTV and made "Open Concept" a drinking game, you'd barely survive.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:51 AM

270 posts, read 592,888 times
I don't know if it will be "a trend" someday, but I very rarely find these modern, clean, unornamented a little cold looking kitchens I'm used to see here in Germany, in the US. We talked to some high end home builders and none of them had them. The same goes for the kitchen magazines. Dark wood, gold intarsia, faux french baroque, vintage/used look, huuuuge exhaust hoods, sometimes even chandeliers.

Do that many people still think that bling means being wealthy? It's like golden dolphin faucets in the bathroom and "roman statues" around the tub.

I like to go to gourmet fairs and look at the professional kitchens from Italian, Belgian and German companies. Yes, you still see stainless steel, but more and more concrete countertops, corian, solid wood too, copper or a special porcelain for the sinks and glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate