U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:41 PM

16,534 posts, read 17,604,809 times

Advertisements

Nothing makes me walk away than a half job. New cabinets but old flooring screams I went the cheapest route I could. I don't believe in staging. Have the house clean and carpets done. Make sure all the light bulbs work.
I look at these houses that are 1980s chic and I laugh at the prices asked. I saw one that was all original. The realtor tried to say its quaint and chrarming. I saw a complete remodel because everything was so well worn there was no life left in it.

I rather give the buyer some credit towards the repairs and let them deal with it. You could do a upgrade and may alienate some buyers. Everyone as different taste and its hit and miss. And if you give credit you can negotiate it. With a remodel you're investing money you may or may not not get back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 02:18 PM

21,028 posts, read 25,857,224 times
I happen to like hand painted Mexican tile. Without seeing it, I can't say whether or not it needs to be replaced.

I would probably pass on a place with new wood flooring in the kitchen. Wood and water don't go well together. I don't want it if it looks good now but will be ruined by next year.

Unless kitchen cabinets reek of mouse pee or the configuration must be changed, I repair and paint. Have a professional paint them, change the hardware, and they will look like new. New hardware and some wood putty will correct every flaw.

All cabinets are nothing but boxes. All of them. Repair and paint instead of spending thousands. If you want to sell faster, take that $2,500 you didn't spend on new cabinets and drop it off the price. Lowering the price will sell a house faster than new cabinets.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:36 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,416,714 times
So what did they decide to do?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 AM

1,350 posts, read 4,372,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I happen to like hand painted Mexican tile. Without seeing it, I can't say whether or not it needs to be replaced.

I would probably pass on a place with new wood flooring in the kitchen. Wood and water don't go well together. I don't want it if it looks good now but will be ruined by next year.

Unless kitchen cabinets reek of mouse pee or the configuration must be changed, I repair and paint. Have a professional paint them, change the hardware, and they will look like new. New hardware and some wood putty will correct every flaw.

All cabinets are nothing but boxes. All of them. Repair and paint instead of spending thousands. If you want to sell faster, take that $2,500 you didn't spend on new cabinets and drop it off the price. Lowering the price will sell a house faster than new cabinets.

I'm pretty sure that a $2500 drop in price on a 900K home is not going to have much of an effect.

I could be wrong here, but if your house is great except for the kitchen and this is an expensive house, this seems to be the place where a quick renovation could pay off.

10-20K spent on a 900K house could have a bigger return. really depends on what you do with the kitchen. I would definitely do the floor if it is worn in spots

Old 03-27-2014, 03:16 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,416,714 times
Their recent comments ... this post is 6 months old...show they have a spectacular kitchen now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or