Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times

Advertisements

At one time or another, I have been the president of a home owners association (HOA) and an antagonist. When i was a president, i thought most conflicts were the result of "difficult people" trying to game the system for their own benefit. When i was an antagonist, it thought it was due to the inflexibility and lack of reason by the HOA Board.

What is your experience or observation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
HOA boards are made up of people. there are all kinds of people. So there are all kinds of boards.

One thing that seems to be consistent in life is that like can attract like. So you can have a board of likeminded people, or largely likeminded people. They can be those mindful of the honorable, ethical, moral issues....or not.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Here is another forum where all the dysfunctional HOA people hang out.

HOA Talk

Typically its not a "lack of reason" by an HOA board. Many times, they cannot legally bend the rules, and therefore must enforce the same rules equally. People don't like to be treated equally, they like preferential treatment.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Having been both President and member of HOA's multiple times, it seems to me that the issue of antagonism is relatively simple. The role of the HOA is to represent and protect the interests of the majority. Whenever individuals have a different opinion than the HOA board, they tend to feel like their way is best ... and that they should not be 'imposed upon in their own home' by others.

It's the primary area where community-living differs from solo-living ... and something everyone who considers Condo/HOA-type living, should think about BEFORE moving. From an HOA standpoint, one of the great difficulties is dealing with people who do not understand the difference between a 'hotel' and a 'condo.'

The HOA boards I've served on have no interest in intruding into the business of its members/ residents, but, also has the responsibility for ensuring that a few individuals do not intrude on the 'rights' of other members.

Think about it this way: Suppose a resident in a neighborhood without an HOA chooses to park a variety of boats and cars on their own front lawn. Everyone in the neighborhood will be agitated about the mess, but, nobody can do anything about it. In an HOA that has restrictions against that, the HOA board will step-in and take action to prevent the eyesore. Of course, the individual with the cars and boats will be aggravated, because the interests of the majority have taken precedence over the interest of the individual.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
It all goes back to what the covenants say. Board's can't bend the covenants without exposing themselves to personal risk and liability. They must be applied across the board.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
I've seen a little of each, but most big conflicts were caused by residents who had wildly inappropriate ideas about imposing themselves on others.

We had one angry lady who demanded that we ban her elderly neighbor from flushing his toilet between the hours of 10pm and 8am so she couldn't hear water moving through pipes. Uh, no.

She also wanted us to allow her to enclose her porch into a walled room (not even glass, actual unwindowed walls) in a small garden-style brick 1960's building. Uh, no.

She fought with us about allowing her to call in plumbers and airconditioning mechanics and charge the HOA for the bills (for no apparent reason). Uh, no.

She demanded that we pay have all walls, ceilings and floors of her unit torn out and sound proofed because "I shouldn't have the hear ANYTHING!" Uh, no.

She wanted all the outside doors replaced on all the buildings because she "suspected" they were more flammable than some other type of door she liked better. I said, "if flames are licking the inside of that door, right next to your unit, you've got bigger problems than an ugly door."

Finally she threaten to "expose" us for having a commercial door repair company headquartered 20 miles away instead of a local door repair company who's owner she knew. She thought we were lying about the bid being cheaper from the our contracted company, but she refused to look at the bids when we offered them to her.

I asked her if she REALLY though the local news investigative team would really find our door repair company to a titillating, TV-worthy scandal?! She just changed the subject back to her neighbor's toilet flushing.

Finally she had to sell because her husband divorced her. Gee, I wonder why?

Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
What an unbelievable idiot that the angry lady was. I would have simply told her to read the HOA covenants when she complained over such silly items.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
it's a wonder how some people end up crazy with 50 cats wandering throughout their house.

I always wonder... did it start in childhood that this person got entitlement syndrome, or was it a series of circumstances that led them into acting like this?

I can see the pros of a homeowner's association... you sacrifice some freedoms to keep the riff-raff at bay. Nobody wants a bunch of cars parked around a property or junk laying everywhere, or worse yet, someone who works on loud cars and goes and revs them up in the driveway all the time just because they can... or burns rubber and leaves tiremarks all over the street outside their house. (I've seen people who do this basically daily/weekly)

Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
I've seen a little of each, but most big conflicts were caused by residents who had wildly inappropriate ideas about imposing themselves on others.

We had one angry lady who demanded that we ban her elderly neighbor from flushing his toilet between the hours of 10pm and 8am so she couldn't hear water moving through pipes. Uh, no.

She also wanted us to allow her to enclose her porch into a walled room (not even glass, actual unwindowed walls) in a small garden-style brick 1960's building. Uh, no.

She fought with us about allowing her to call in plumbers and airconditioning mechanics and charge the HOA for the bills (for no apparent reason). Uh, no.

She demanded that we pay have all walls, ceilings and floors of her unit torn out and sound proofed because "I shouldn't have the hear ANYTHING!" Uh, no.

She wanted all the outside doors replaced on all the buildings because she "suspected" they were more flammable than some other type of door she liked better. I said, "if flames are licking the inside of that door, right next to your unit, you've got bigger problems than an ugly door."

Finally she threaten to "expose" us for having a commercial door repair company headquartered 20 miles away instead of a local door repair company who's owner she knew. She thought we were lying about the bid being cheaper from the our contracted company, but she refused to look at the bids when we offered them to her.

I asked her if she REALLY though the local news investigative team would really find our door repair company to a titillating, TV-worthy scandal?! She just changed the subject back to her neighbor's toilet flushing.

Thanks for the stories and warning. I will NEVER sit on one of these boards. You must have far more patience than I.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:40 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post

Was her name.......never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate