Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,482,419 times

Advertisements

The inspection found no evidence of the water damage either? That is a point in the sellers' favor. It is definitely time to consult a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 01:17 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,572,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2i View Post
In fact, when I first communicated with my agent about the water damage claim, the listing agent wrote back saying she remembered the owner mentioning something about it briefly, but would check with them and get back to us. Well, if the owner/listing agent knew anything about the water damage, then aren't they obligated to disclose it in the seller's disclosure? This would have prevented us from either making an offer on the home in the first place or lowered our offer price to cover for any repairs/redo arising from it.

I do not think they have a case for holding our EMD, but it hurts to know that we spent close to a thousand dollars unnecessarily.
Keep this kind of correspondence.

Contact your local Board/Association of Realtors. Their ethics committee. And contact the state office. And contact the office that oversees corporation licenses. They can investigate too and in some areas that will show up on their site.

Sometimes when you show you have this knowledge, people will do...well, not the right thing of course because they didn't want to do that. But they'll do whatever to cover themselves.

Actually, you can still report the realtor's actions even if you eventually get your money back.

But remember...don't sign anything in order to get the money. It can come back to bite you.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Who recommended the inspector? The seller's agent? Hmmm.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:05 PM
r2i r2i started this thread

8 posts, read 16,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Who recommended the inspector? The seller's agent? Hmmm.
You know it... who else

Old 09-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 11 days ago)

43,124 posts, read 76,705,928 times
OP, there is a reason for the "sticky" post at the top of the forum.
PLEASE tell us your location when asking questions.

What state are you in?

Old 09-11-2013, 08:14 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,030,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2i View Post
You know it... who else
Are you saying you used an inspector recommended by the seller? I'm really hoping that is now what you are saying.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What state are you in?
GA. Thanks

Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Are you saying you used an inspector recommended by the seller? I'm really hoping that is now what you are saying.
I am sorry, I missed that. It was my agent.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
The inspection found no evidence of the water damage either? That is a point in the sellers' favor. It is definitely time to consult a lawyer.
The water damage was "fixed"- as in got repaired by seller. As with everything else, it is a shoddy job and when you examine the ceiling with this new information, you understand why it is not evenly finished and appears patchy, which we thought was just a bad paint job!! The bigger point is that they had made a claim for 7k, but are able to furnish repair costs for 2.2k. Don't understand where the 3.8k went. My insurance company wants to know a ballpark figure of the repair costs before they insure the property. The insurance company has no interest in inflating the claim- so, we now think there is something more to it- just cannot trust the seller anymore. Moreover, it just means spending more $$ on our part for redoing/repainting.

We have saved all correspondences to date. One step at a time- first secure the EMD then we'll be able to think straight on whether we want to recover other costs. Our agent said they will be refunding the EMD soon. Will keep updates coming as they happen.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:42 AM

When you get your EMD then, be careful they don't show you the check and have you first sign something where the mouse print says you will not come after them for anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate