Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 03:17 PM

10,077 posts, read 7,754,937 times

Advertisements

There is a house on my cul-de-sac that was way overpriced. It's been on the market now maybe 2 months and the price has already been reduced twice. I think it's still overpriced compared to the houses in my neighborhood. The pics of the house online show nothing out of the ordinary that would make this house worth what they are asking.

They had an Open House last weekend with the balloons at the subdivision entrance adverting it. There was a sign at the end of my street with balloons also. Open House was last Sunday and not a soul came to the house. The realtor put the balloons out at the house but no one showed up. I was out washing my car and packing boxes getting ready for my move and could see the cars going up and down our street...none went to that house.

Are they not looking at the comps? I could understand if this house offered something that others houses didn't offer but if anything, that house has less yet they are asking more.

Did they really think an Open House would get things moving? I blame the realtor for agreeing to put that kind of price on it. They put a price on it asking almost 30.00 per sq foot more than houses are selling for here. The value is definitely not there.

It just baffles me. I've never seen anyone over there viewing it. When mine was up for sale for the first few weeks I had all kind of traffic coming and going and viewing the home.

Oh well...just an observation that has me wondering what they are thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 03:50 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Don't blame the realtor automatically. I have had customers insist on pricing their home too high despite my recommendation despite CMA reports. When there are no inquiries on the home the seller usually gets the hint and agrees to lower the price or blames the realtor.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-13-2013, 03:53 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Well...everyone is free to waste their own time--homeowners and agents alike. I'm just surprised that no one showed up for the open house. Open houses are best for allowing nosey neighbors to snoop around.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
JM,

I have turned down sellers in the past for unrealistic asking prices. Nobody is going to hold a gun to the head of the realtor or the seller, it's all part of a negotiation.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:47 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Don't blame the realtor automatically. I have had customers insist on pricing their home too high despite my recommendation despite CMA reports. When there are no inquiries on the home the seller usually gets the hint and agrees to lower the price or blames the realtor.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
There is a lot of truth in the above. I know of a couple or three realtors here who are known for overpricing their listings. They always get kudos for the "Most Listings" but not so much for closed deals.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:36 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Open houses often "get things moving." Sometimes people who aren't even officially looking will stop in and become emotionally attached.

Who knows what's up with this house, though. I guess they overpaid and think they're going to get it back? Was someone murdered there? Is it built over an antebellum graveyard???

Old 09-13-2013, 05:36 PM

The Realtor could refuse to list it. I have respect for a realtor that can give good advice and advise that that price is way too high. I looked at the For Sale sign and I would never use that realtor. What is the point of listing so high? You are giving the sellers unrealistic hope. You are wasting everyone's time. Explain to the sellers why it is a unrealistic price.

When I see that crazy price on a home and way above comps for no reason, I think in my mind it must be a inexperienced desperate realtor.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:37 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
It is hard to know who is at fault here or why. It could be an owner that is unrealistic or maybe does not want to do a short sale, so hoping for a cash "sucker". It could be the agent who promised more than they can deliver, but gets the benefit of having their signs up and gets noticed as a "neighborhood expert". Either way, when the owner gets serious they will probably fire the agent or adjust the price.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:39 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
The Realtor could refuse to list it. I have respect for a realtor that can give good advice and advise that that price is way too high. I looked at the For Sale sign and I would never use that realtor. What is the point of listing so high? You are giving the sellers unrealistic hope. You are wasting everyone's time. Explain to the sellers why it is a unrealistic price.
There are realtors who do that. The problem is that there's usually another one who assures the seller that "his" price is the right one and that realtor gets the listing over the realistic/truthful one.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Open houses often "get things moving." Sometimes people who aren't even officially looking will stop in and become emotionally attached.
I've often heard that Open Houses are only good for the Realtor. They hope to get new clients by hosting an open house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate