Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 04:03 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
I recently closed escrow and took possession of my first home. The seller was not present at the final walk through or exchange of keys, and I never met the seller. Escrow is now closed. The seller has my money, and I have the deed recorded in my name.

The seller has a unique name and is easily Google-able with social media profiles. I may contact the former owner to ask if there is anything he'd like to disclose now that the deal is finalized. For example:

1. The kitchen disposal may work fine right now, but a month ago it was emitting sparks under the sink. OR,
2. Every November and March hundreds of migrating geese roost on the roof.

Would sellers (who've closed escrow) share these types of things with the new owner? Or, are there legal implications that make it best for the former owner to not share anything further?

It seems that the owner has a legal obligation to disclose any major problems that could form the basis of a later non-it disclosure action. Morally, an owner should probably disclose serious issues that he would want to know of (beforehand) under similar circumstances.

In the examples given, the disposal could constitute a fire hazard ... and the latter might give the new owner a chance to get his house listed in Ripley's Believe it or Not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 04:09 PM

389 posts, read 1,218,591 times
The disposal is a non-issue. Just replace it. It can't be proven one way or another.

As to the geese, that's an interesting item if it could be established that it had something to do with him selling the house.

Personally, I would just get on with my life and live with it. I'm sure there must be some way to discourage those geese.

I would not contact the seller except through an attorney and you will incur a lot of legal expenses. This is probably a time to move on. I think you are just inviting trouble.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:21 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The seller is not your new landlord and has no further responsibility towards you. Once escrow closes, the house is all yours and the seller is done and finished, and most likely does not want to hear from you.

^^^^ This.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:59 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,768 times
If I woke up tomorrow and there were hundreds of migrating geese standing on my roof, I'd grab a camera. What a sight! But no, I don't think the seller needs to disclose the migration patterns of geese.

If the kitchen sink disposal works fine, and your home inspector didn't find it to be a problem, then I don't see what the seller needs to do here either. It works.

Is there any condition you've discovered that is serious enough that you would choose to reverse the home purchase (if that were an option)?

Old 09-28-2013, 06:09 PM

440 posts, read 866,819 times
We never met the buyers of our house and never wanted to-we left the house in perfect condition and had disclosed any and everything and had everything known repaired (company paid relo so they paid repairs) problem was that the buyers somehow got my email address and have sent me emails everytime something has not worked or they have questions...I changed emails and then out of the blue I get another email about something else...a maintenance issue finally I said enough..."Glad your enjoying the house -I hope your future goes well....but we are very busy with our new home too..hope you find someone to help with maintenance of the house." If the disposer has an issue put a new one in....as for geese whatever...we used to have about 500 black birds land in our yard every three or four years-sometimes my neighbors yard-not something I would feel the need to disclose..

Old 09-28-2013, 07:15 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
and if I were the former owner, I might be wondering if you are a stalker.
Uh huh. If my buyer contacted me with questions along the lines of "anything I should know about?..." I would say - "nope - enjoy" even if I knew you were sitting on an ancient burial ground.

Neighbors? please....wouldn't have told them anything either - especially not in the year leading up to the sale (yes most people know they are selling for a year or so, despite what they tell the neighbors).

I actually live in the same subdivision as the people who sold me my house - can actually walk right over to their house if I want - and would never consider telling them what is right or wrong with the place. It's ours now - for better for for worse.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:58 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,391,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
I recently closed escrow and took possession of my first home. The seller was not present at the final walk through or exchange of keys, and I never met the seller. Escrow is now closed. The seller has my money, and I have the deed recorded in my name.

The seller has a unique name and is easily Google-able with social media profiles. I may contact the former owner to ask if there is anything he'd like to disclose now that the deal is finalized. For example:

1. The kitchen disposal may work fine right now, but a month ago it was emitting sparks under the sink. OR,
2. Every November and March hundreds of migrating geese roost on the roof.

Would sellers (who've closed escrow) share these types of things with the new owner? Or, are there legal implications that make it best for the former owner to not share anything further?
LOL are you nuts? The time for disclosure is over, friend. That and the time for you to do your job with your inspections is long gone. If a buyer googled me and started messaging me on my private facebook page I would not be too happy.

If you found a major material fact had been withheld that affected the value of the property, that's a different matter.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:06 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
The proceedings were a "transaction" and a "conveyance," not an open invitation to a long warm relationship.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 PM

396 posts, read 1,850,967 times
There is nothing wrong with the disposal. And no geese... Those were just examples.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:25 PM

696 posts, read 906,305 times
You had an inspection and (hopefully) resolved any issues with the seller that were documented in the inspection report. You most likely had an "out" in your contract if the seller refused to make repairs or price concessions. The deal closed so it is safe to say there were no such issues or they were resolved. Stop fantasizing about stalking the seller and move on with your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate