Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:48 PM

189 posts, read 643,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I can understand why some agents on here took offense to your post; however, I can also understand why you feel your agent was ineffective. It doesn't sound like he was a good match for you to begin with. Perhaps you mentioned this on your other thread, but how did you find him?
If anyone was offended, it may be because some of my comments hit too close to home. In my original thread, there were a couple of self identified agents who posted page after page of rants on pricing without listening to the position I was trying to make. As I outlined in my first post - shut up for a moment and listen. Not everything requires a war and peace answer, especially if I tell you that reducing a price doesn't make sense for me because I prefer to carry than declare a liquidation sale.

People can be offended, but if you are a good agent who listens when your client asks questions and is forthcoming with information, then it doesn't apply to you so nothing to be offended about.

This agent was recommended by a friend who used him. My husband really liked him - so since he was running the day to day of the sale while I was trying to move, find a new home, and start a new job, I thought it was important to have an agent that he believed in. Unfortunately, this agent used the divide and conquer strategy to defend his bad behavior. My husband is a sucker for a charmer. When I'd push the agent for the answer, he'd go to my husband and crank up the snake oil pitch and distract him from the issue at hand.

In summary, my agent really was pretty bad. Sure, my house sold. But for 6%, I am well within my right to expect and demand basic information and service that this guy had serious issues with providing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 06:02 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
How did the offer and sales price end up comparing to your list price?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:04 AM

189 posts, read 643,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
How did the offer and sales price end up comparing to your list price?
It was 7.5% below the listing price, which was at the lower limit of how much I was willing to reduce before taking off the market and seeing if things improve. I had another offer that was about 4% below the listing price, but it was FHA and the lower one was cash. I was OK with the lower offer if it means I can close without the uncertainty of what's going on in DC.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:19 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayRing View Post
It was 7.5% below the listing price, which was at the lower limit of how much I was willing to reduce before taking off the market and seeing if things improve. I had another offer that was about 4% below the listing price, but it was FHA and the lower one was cash. I was OK with the lower offer if it means I can close without the uncertainty of what's going on in DC.
And aren't you glad you did! ^^

Old 10-08-2013, 03:23 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,444 times
Bravo. Bravo. You Real Estate guys are good. How much did you pay for ClayRing's services?

Old 10-09-2013, 09:34 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Quote:
If I call you every Tuesday and ask what has changed on the market (DOM, inventory, etc), by the third Tuesday it shouldn't catch you off guard. I shouldn't have to ask for this info or guidance.
I don't see how you feel you're getting your money's worth by annoying the realtor with silly questions once a week. It will sell, when a buyer wants to buy it.

Quote:
I can do math. I'm well aware that a 5-10% home in my price range only represents a very slight decrease in your commission after splitting with buyers agent and taxes. Just because you are eager to sell at a rock bottom price doesn't mean that your seller is. Especially in my case, where I could carry my home for 18 months at the same cost of a 10% reduction.
While that math might make sense, your buyer may have had a maximum. It's possible your buyer didn't even look at your house before it had that 10% reduction based on the web site search criteria. So while you may be able to hold out for 18 months, you might have sold it in 2 days if you had lowered it sooner. I know, its a price game. You never really know.

Quote:
After that conversation, he followed up with the agents for some recent showings stating that the home would be going off the market. The offer came within 36 hours of my hard talk.
Pure coincidence. I doubt that real estate agent has a buyer producing factory to create humans who want mortgages.

Quote:
29 days on the market
He sold your house in 29 days and you're so bitter? Bitterness usually sets in after someone has waited 1 year to sell their house. He was obviously full of BS, but he sold your house incredibly fast, that means he used his same BS techniques to talk someone into buying it. Some of the best sales people are also best at smooth talking. It goes with the territory.

Quote:
Sure, my house sold. But for 6%, I am well within my right to expect and demand basic information and service that this guy had serious issues with providing.
Sorry but.... again, it just seems like you were wasting his time asking for data on frivolous things.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:46 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I don't see how you feel you're getting your money's worth by annoying the realtor with silly questions once a week. It will sell, when a buyer wants to buy it.
I don't know why you think inventory is silly. I've had listings that were undercut within 4 days of hitting the market. That is important to know to stay competitive. Looking at what went under contract, and is new on the market is important.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I don't know why you think inventory is silly. I've had listings that were undercut within 4 days of hitting the market. That is important to know to stay competitive. Looking at what went under contract, and is new on the market is important.
Sure it's important to the agent, but it's not important to relay this data to 50 of your listing clients. If you're spending your day babysitting your listing clients and preparing data presentations and phone meetings to let them know market conditions, you're obviously not selling.... which is why they hired you in the first place.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:50 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Sure it's important to the agent, but it's not important to relay this data to 50 of your listing clients. If you're spending your day babysitting your listing clients and preparing data presentations and phone meetings to let them know market conditions, you're obviously not selling.... which is why they hired you in the first place.
Not to speak for Clayring, but she didn't ask for a presentation, she just asked for simple information that should be readily available to the agent. There are these things called computers nowadays.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Not to speak for Clayring, but she didn't ask for a presentation, she just asked for simple information that should be readily available to the agent. There are these things called computers nowadays.
Now multiply that so called "simple information" by every homeowner you have a listing with, say 50 people, and now you have a full time job preparing this information into something the homeowner understands and answering questions about that data. Sometimes you just gotta say no, and get back to doing your job. Selling!

The client doesn't even need that type of data, nevermind a weekly basis, especially in a market where only 2 houses were sold in that timeframe. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate