U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2013, 08:38 PM

3,245 posts, read 3,158,535 times

Advertisements

Well, it may be a strange place to ask, yet..
Let me start here. We have "the neighbors". That type, you know. Possible drug situation, under police continuous watch and such. Like I said, "those ones".
They have completely abandoned 1.3 acre property, real jungle. But police already reported stolen cars and such there.
We have fenced property, horse acre. I am pretty much done with halogen flood lights, as the 1st line of defense, just in case.
My wife will not let me have a guard dog and I must give her a credit on one thing - DOGS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE. Boht to get and to maintain.
Of course, web says - geese, donkeys, and llamas. Well, llamas likely not, maybe when we will have grandchildren.
But my question to forum is - is anyone here who did try say geese or a donkey for this particular purpose, and how does it work out?
See, we always have someone at the property. I work days and have very light sleep. She works nights and is home during the day.

I am SPECIFICALLY looking for 1st hand experiences, I can Google just like anyone else.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 08:54 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,349,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, it may be a strange place to ask, yet..
Let me start here. We have "the neighbors". That type, you know. Possible drug situation, under police continuous watch and such. Like I said, "those ones".
They have completely abandoned 1.3 acre property, real jungle. But police already reported stolen cars and such there.
We have fenced property, horse acre. I am pretty much done with halogen flood lights, as the 1st line of defense, just in case.
My wife will not let me have a guard dog and I must give her a credit on one thing - DOGS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE. Boht to get and to maintain.
Of course, web says - geese, donkeys, and llamas. Well, llamas likely not, maybe when we will have grandchildren.
But my question to forum is - is anyone here who did try say geese or a donkey for this particular purpose, and how does it work out?
See, we always have someone at the property. I work days and have very light sleep. She works nights and is home during the day.

I am SPECIFICALLY looking for 1st hand experiences, I can Google just like anyone else.
gueney [spelling is wrong] hens, our neighbors on two side have them and boy what a racket!
I suggest you also post this question in the pet/animal/dog forum of
city data , sorry you guys are having to deal with this.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:11 PM

16,499 posts, read 22,967,292 times
Are you looking for an animal to alert you of potential trespass, or are you looking for an animal to do something about it?

Donkeys are great for protecting horses, sheep, etc., from predators, but mostly four-legged ones. We have three Donkey Girls that are with the herd of cattle and between them and the stallion, plus the three dogs warning them off by the house, we don't have much of a coyote issue though they are definitely around. We hear them singing on the neighboring property often, but the only time I've seen one on ours he was on a fast track across from one neighbor's to the one on the other side, keeping a low profile lest he be seen by the donkeys.

Geese will go after people and can be quite intimidating, but tend to hiss, so not so much alerting as defending (by attacking). We haven't had them at home, but I've run into them elsewhere. They do tend to make a mess, though.

Guineas, as mentioned above, are admirable alarm systems, if you can stand the noise, and very entertaining to boot, plus they provide good eggs, albeit small ones (you'll need about three to make up a good sized hen egg equivalent).

Our problems are more with four-legged predators than two, as I said. (Well, and the flying ones, owls and hawks.) But maybe that's because we have the dogs and donkeys!

FWIW, when we moved out here to the ranch, we had a Great Pyrenees. When an unfamiliar vehicle came up the drive, I would go and stand by her, and whoever it was would get out of the vehicle to tell me what they wanted, but they'd stay about 10 feet away at the closest. They didn't know she was more likely to lick them to death, and she was huge. Later, we got a second dog, a blue heeler, and I noticed right away that people wouldn't even get out of the car. The heeler was much smaller, but they are very bonded with their person and they are very protective. (The one we have now is bonded to me and when I'm out working with the livestock or doing anything where I might get hurt, he's right there supervising and making sure everything's okay.) I asked someone once about that after getting to know him (he hadn't gotten out of his car, either, first couple of times he came by), and he said both dogs will protect but a heeler you just don't know what they're likely to do if they think you're threatening their person or their place. Not expensive to keep, either. And they're not "guard dogs", but part of the family. Do need exercise, though.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 PM

16,842 posts, read 16,628,873 times
I would think a dog would be cheaper than a donkey, both to buy and maintain.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:26 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,584,772 times
Guineas will become food for other predators.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:36 PM

3,601 posts, read 3,255,261 times
Guineas need to roost up high at night. On the ground, they're prey. They're more likely to make a heck of a racket during the day. Unfortunately, they also make a racket just because they like to- they will not endear you to any of your neighbors.

Llamas & donkeys are is no use to warm you of the approach of other people.

Geese are tough during the day- will honk, hiss and chase if they can intimidate someone. However, they are also prey and know it.

All of the above are very easy for a nasty neighbor to dispatch in any one of vile ways - guns, arrows, poison, machete, etc. Fowl and geese are not going to protect against drug dealers.

Seriously your best bet is the more common approach, sensor lights, perimeter alarm system with sound, etc.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:43 PM

2,680 posts, read 2,189,925 times
Gray geese!!!!!!!!!

Mean stinkers.

Their bites hurt!!!!!!!!!!

My aunt kept them out in the sticks of FL to ward off undesirables.

I couldn't get out of my car when visiting until she came out of the house. I made the mistake one morning of going outside to have my coffee. I wound up getting bitten.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:43 AM

2,091 posts, read 2,605,590 times
First, a dog need not be expensive to get. Adopt. It can however take a bit of time and training on YOUR part for the dog to bond with you, realize its home now, and start to alert you of unusual activity. It took my adopt alert dog about 3 weeks to realize he knew how to bark, and I think the sound scared him. He's a husky shepherd mix and will patrol his yard and bark at anyone he doesn't know and I have trained him to stop barking when I acknowledge and give the OK. This is important so you don't tick off your desirable neighbors with a dog that barks at everything. I would never have a dog left outside 24/7 either. You're just asking for someone to steal it and resell, or turn into either a bait or fighting dog.

My herd of cats acts as an alert also. I have a cat door and when someone pulls into the driveway they all come running into the house.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:51 AM

19,411 posts, read 11,563,828 times
You do realize any animal is going to have cost attached to maintain it's health and well being correct?
Mules are much more expensive than dogs.
Geese are territorial but very messy.
Guineas can be killed from gnats getting up into their nostrils and they become prey very easily.
Dogs in my opinion are the best way to go but they need to be trained properly as well as fed, watered, exercised and kept up to date on all shots, heartworm and flea medication as well.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:31 AM

3,245 posts, read 3,158,535 times
Thank you all.
We will not keep an animal inside the house. This is something we both agree.
Let me circle back with the general question.
1. Dogs. A good dog IS expensive to obtain. A GOOD dog is BLOODLINE question, and that costs to start with. I had enough dogs in the family to know better. Also, thereafter, they are like babies - can't tell you what's wrong and costs mucho mucho dinero to treat and folks called vets know that very well. Plus, a dog requires continuous attention, walking them and all that. I simply do not have time and desire and money. Sorry. Plus, you develop emotional bond, and then they do just that - die.
2. We both grew in a country where farm animals are common part of life. I spent about 10 years of my childhood in a small village amongst poultry and cows. As summer vacation. I KNOW geese very well. They are stupidly brave and mean, if they don't like you, you better run. Plus, they give great eggs and make great food. Yes, they do make great food. And they can make quite a ruckus too. We are looking into getting some sort of a poultry anyway, so that may be an option.
3. Hens. I think, they are simply stupid and will be noisy need or not.
4. Well, mi esposa is constantly waiting for our son to finally maybe get a grandchild, which she considers a pony for entertainment purposes, which leads to a donkey option. But I do agree, a larger animal like this, will likely cost more than a dog in relevant health care costs. See, we have very pragmatic approach to animals. And are not going to spend $10 000 on a surgery. With a goose, eg, on the other hand, she gets sick - I eat her. Sorry, before you chastise me for that, you do buy poultry in a store, right? You killed it or someone else did it for you, does not change the base line.

Texas Lady, yes, thank you for very helpful post. I am considering mostly a "noise deterrent". Natural alarm. I already have lights as bright as possible everywhere. Baddies are under police surveillance, and, generally, they are trying, as a type, to keep low profile not to attract cops. Chances of them jumping the fence into my property are quite slim. And, considering that they apparently really got under cops' skin, I do not give them much time here anyway. Entire situation is more of over reaction and over protection. Property is full fenced and gated and flooded with light. But a good "noise maker" won't hurt.
With this being said, I think, geese may be a viable option. We don't care about goose poo. Wify been bugging me about chicken coop for entire year by now, so it comes along just fine.
Once again, thank you for input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate