Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 02:44 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanLavie View Post
Bmachina..

The name EthanLavie is a fictitious name I created for this forum. Other than that, I don't see any harm in saying the city I live in.
In that case, carry on. I was under the wrong impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 03:04 PM

408 posts, read 607,471 times
67k for a condo in Miami ? I hadn't realized prices had fallen so low in recent years.

No wonder Canadian investors are snapping up properties down there. That's the price of a parking spot in my city.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:48 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I doubt a person with a million invested is going to be taking advice from anonymous posters on an internet site. .
First thing that came to my mind. Oh, the internet.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:35 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I doubt a person with a million invested is going to be taking advice from anonymous posters on an internet site. .
Eh. Even Fortune 500 companies like Ford and Starbucks run crowdsourcing campaigns to see what kind of ideas anonymous posters on the internet will come up with. A lot of it is marketing and brand engagement, but you never know... some random person might come up with a good idea that you never thought of.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:07 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Reminds me of the "Suze, how'm I doing?" segments where people want to be rated on their retirement planning, but to me it's just an opportunity to get pats on the back for how wonderful they're doing. "Suze, I have 1.2 million in my 401K, 475K in investments, no debt, blah blah blah"....oh, shut up! LOL

Old 10-10-2013, 12:54 AM

416 posts, read 871,479 times
The suggestions for cash out on rentals are seemingly logical - however - most banks will not use investment properties as collateral, unless you are a client of their private banking operations.

You'd need to hunt down portfolio lenders, which usually come at a price of higher fees and higher rates, and restrictive lending capabilities.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:22 AM

396 posts, read 1,851,957 times
Quote:
Sky-blue..

The 100,000 property was bough as a vacation home and in hopes to flip it and sell it. This all occur in the middle of the financial bubble to I bough high and got stuck with it. I haven't rented the unit because neighborhood deteriorated significantly and I feel I take more risk renting the unit than having it vacant. Also the apartment is in another city 4 hours away from where I live so anything were to occur to the apartment I would be a headache to manage.
From your other posts, it sounds like you pride yourself on doing all of the maintenance and management of the properties in your portfolio. And you don't have to share any of your profits with middle men. However...

If I were in your shoes, I would hire a local property management company to deal with this condo that's four hours away. They do have mgmt fees which will cut into your profit, but still you'll get rental income that will be greater than mgmt fee, property tax, HOA monthly payment, and basic maintenance. Plus, rentals are usually safer when they are occupied (many people break into vacant properties to squat or cause vandalism). Then when the market picks-up, you could also get a higher selling price when demand picks up in that area. How much lower could that property value possibly drop? $55K sounds like too good of a deal for a Florida condo (unless it's in the gator swamps!).

This is probably moot since it sounds like you're under contract already to sell the $100K condo for $55K.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
This thread would be much better placed in the investment forum.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBC View Post
The suggestions for cash out on rentals are seemingly logical - however - most banks will not use investment properties as collateral, unless you are a client of their private banking operations.

You'd need to hunt down portfolio lenders, which usually come at a price of higher fees and higher rates, and restrictive lending capabilities.
You do what you need to do. Higher fee and higher rates comes with the territory, but you are comparing apples and oranges. You can't compare the fee and rates of an owner occupied loan versus a non owner occupied loan. If you can't use an owner occupied loan for an investment property what would you even compare the rate , fees, and terms. It is like saying the mortgage rate of 4% is higher than my new car loan of 0%.

Has far a trying to hunt down a portfolio lender, you only need to pick up the and call a mortgage broker and ask for a cash out no owner occupied mortgage, it's their job to find products for you.

I'm also not sure of most banks, but are you saying the B of A, Chase, Citi, and Wells are no longer doing no owner cash out or are you calling them Portfolio lender?

The main question was ideas on how to buy more with what I have in hand. I had a few ideas of my own, like what you mention private investing pool or refinance a few of my properties and start thinking about buying a small building (4 or 5 units).

I'm going to exclude talking about your primary residence. You have 736k in cash invested returning $5740 a month, of about 9.3% per year, plus appreciation, if you have 5% appreciation you are making about 14% on your cash or a little over 1.16% a month.

You are buying homes 7% below market and putting in time and money to repair them and sitting on them. Look at what you do as three businesses 1) Buys property and sells property to rental investors 2) Repairs / handyman/ construction business that gets paid for time and material 3) buys rental property and makes money every month and when sold. Unless most people, you are making money on the buy.

Even if you can make 4% on flipping a house in 2 month, you'd be making 24% per year versus 14%.

Use OPM Other Peoples Money and Buy Borrow Die. Share the wealth and make more money.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:44 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
One of the main reasons why I haven't look into buying multifamily homes is because there simply aren't many at lease here in miami which is were I live. The market is mainly for condos or houses.
Why'd you need to buy a vacation home when YOU LIVE IN MIAMI??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
67k for a condo in Miami ? I hadn't realized prices had fallen so low in recent years.
Yeah, I've seen a number of 2/2 condos for less than that. Prices in FL are dirt cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate