Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 07:44 AM

399 posts, read 568,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Why would you assume that the kids are: "tired, or bored, or hungry"???? Do you think all parents starve their kids? don't let them sleep? and don't feed them???? How dense are you? WOW
Because kids get tired, bored and hungry. When we went house shopping, my husband, agent and I did one day where we looked at houses for 6 1/2 hours. There is NO WAY a child, not even ones as old as mine are would have survived that. I barely survived it. We literally met right after lunch, got a bottle of soda and a bag of chips each and looked right through dinner time.
Quote:
Also, why do you assume (assuming is truly insulting BTW), that the kids can't have an opinion?
They can have an opinion... on things like what they wear the next day to school. Not something as important as where the family lives
Quote:
and all throw tantrums?
I've never met a child yet that has NEVER thrown a tantrum. Sure, they outgrow them eventually but ALL children throw tantrums at one point in their lives.
Quote:
When we were house hunting we brought our kids along...we didn't ask their opinion until they were after 6 years old...it's not like I am going to ask a 6 month old what he thinks!??? that's retarded!
No, "retarded" as you call it is giving a 6 year old who is just learning to read an opinion on a 6 figure business transaction.
Quote:
You must not have kids to be talking like this!
I have kids. I was a kid. I'm still someone's kid and even as a married woman with her own kids, my parents didn't ask me about where they bought their last house 7 years ago.
Quote:
Kids are people too...
That was a TV show
Quote:
FYI, and in most cases they are a lot smarter than certain adults!
Yes, but those adults have conservators. Smarter also encompasses foresight and maturity, neither a child has.
Quote:
...AND They'll live there too BTW...
So? My in laws will probably at one point live here, but they didn't get a vote either.
Quote:
do you think kids are like pets?
No, the kids are more important than the pets. That question is "retarded."
Quote:
they just "adapt" to whatever environment you put them in?
Yes. Just ask any child who has parents that are in the military. You think their command asks the kids where they would like to live or do you think that one day mom or dad comes home and says... we're PCSing to Japan.
Quote:
Have you thought that some might be allergic to cats, and if your house has had cats, getting that smell, and hair out might take years and will hurt the kids????
Yes, because as a PARENT, I would have been the one to make that doctor's appointment to figure out what that rash or that wheezing was because after all... kids wouldn't do such things. Since I, as their parent are responsible for their overall health, the cat in the house would be a concern for me and I wouldn't need my 6 year old to tell me that. Are you telling me that you're not smart enough to make that kind of a decision WITHOUT your 6 year old coming along? You'd bring your child with you just so you can expose them to possible cat dander to see if it's OK for them to be in the house? Wouldn't that be irresponsible of you as a parent? I'd also be looking for mold, excessive dust, moisture spots in the walls and/or ceiling because those could potentially make ALL of us sick, not just the kids.

Kids look out for themselves, PARENTS look out for the family as a whole
Quote:
I guess not, otherwise you wouldn't be making such comments!
One could also surmise that your kid may be one of those who is smarter than their parent.

See why you shouldn't go on a forum and insult people? Because someone like me may come right back and insult you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:46 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Oh,YEAH!

We are Cooking with Gas, People!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Why would you look at houses for 6 1/2 hours? that is not good time management on your part. Obviously if you subject them to 5 houses in a day they'll have enough! Hell I would never ever go see more than one house per day...I need to chew all the details about it, and not have it mixed with the others.

Did I say my 6 year old signed the mortgage docs? I don't think so.

So you think only kids in Tv shows are smart!?? WOW...OK!!! Dream on.
Are you seriously arguing the difference between an adult and a child with me?

I didn't know they allowed pets on military basis, nor that every military person is told where to live, and not given a choice. Matter of fact, I watched an episode of House Hunters about a military family relocated to Japan who was given 3+ homes to choose from.

I wouldn't want to be your child for sure! I did not insult anyone! But if you don't think you're smart that's not my problem.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Why would you look at houses for 6 1/2 hours?
Because between my schedule, my husband's schedule and the agent's schedule... we decided to knock out as many houses on the list in one day as possible - and we did, WITHOUT KIDS IN TOW.
Quote:
Hell I would never ever go see more than one house per day...I need to chew all the details about it, and not have it mixed with the others.
We've already established you can't handle much. We had notebooks, cameras and video. We were EXTREMELY efficient.

Quote:
So you think only kids in Tv shows are smart!?? WOW...OK!!! Dream on.
You're dense.... that's not what I said at all. I said it was a TV show, so not only are you dense, but you're obviously young which would explain everything.
Quote:
I didn't know they allowed pets on military basis, nor that every military person is told where to live, and not given a choice. Matter of fact, I watched an episode of House Hunters about a military family relocated to Japan who was given 3+ homes to choose from.
Oh.... so what you know about life, you learned on TV. Explains everything.
Quote:
I wouldn't want to be your child for sure!
Worry not, I wouldn't want you as my child

Old 10-16-2013, 08:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
The average number of houses that my buyers see in one day is six. I've found that many more than that and the houses start running together in their heads. Up to six, it doesn't appear to be a problem for most people. Viewing one house a day unless the requirements are VERY stringent (and in that case they're going to be looking for months, if not years) or the market is so tight that there just isn't any inventory is not a good use of anyone's time, including the buyer's.

If clients are from out of town this becomes even more important - they need to see as many possibilities on their trip as they can, and this can include not just houses but neighborhoods. So 6-1/2 hours is not at all unreasonable in certain situations. I have no problem with kids coming along on house hunting trips, as long as they're supervised by their parents, but it can be difficult for the kids, never mind the parents, sometimes, even the most well-behaved ones. If a house hunt is extended, it's my observation that the wisest of the parents who want to include their children in the decision bring them along for second viewings after the parents have eliminated the ones that won't work for them, much like one spouse will often do the initial viewings that are intended to eliminate possibilities and then both will come for second viewings.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Oh,YEAH!

We are Cooking with Gas, People!

Watch it, she may think you're carrying gas with you

Old 10-16-2013, 08:12 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
Watch it, she may think you're carrying gas with you
I will neither confirm nor deny....

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 10-16-2013 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Forgot the :D

Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 AM

189 posts, read 643,261 times
I wish I could rep you up more, dmk31088.

This whole exchange underscores what drives some of us crazy on this subject. It's not the kids - it's their over the top parents!

Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
Because between my schedule, my husband's schedule and the agent's schedule... we decided to knock out as many houses on the list in one day as possible - and we did, WITHOUT KIDS IN TOW.
When I was an agent I showed up to 8-10 houses in one day to couples with multiple kids, many times we went back the next day to take a second look at a couple of houses and then went back to the office to make an offer.
The family then got in the car to head to Disney for a couple of days since they were on vacation.
I did this many times.

Some people do the house hunting with kids and some don't, anyone that says either is wrong is in error as it is just a personal choice. The seller or agent who does not want kids around is just making a business decision as to what is best for them.

As far as only looking at one house a day as some say they do, I would say that person may have ADHD. I would have never made enough money to surivive only showing one house a day.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
When I was an agent I showed up to 8-10 houses in one day to couples with multiple kids, many times we went back the next day to take a second look at a couple of houses and then went back to the office to make an offer.
The family then got in the car to head to Disney for a couple of days since they were on vacation.
I did this many times.

Some people do the house hunting with kids and some don't, anyone that says either is wrong is in error as it is just a personal choice. The seller or agent who does not want kids around is just making a business decision as to what is best for them.

As far as only looking at one house a day as some say they do, I would say that person may have ADHD. I would have never made enough money to survive only showing one house a day.
One house a day would be the best way for me to get things to run together and forget what I saw, especialy since chances are we're not going to be looking once a day every day of the week. We basically had a Saturday. Monday is just bad because it's Monday, Tue - Thurs. my husband has an evening commitment after work at church, Friday is family day, Sunday is church, which only leaves SATURDAY.

We actually went through house hunting (actual, not the show) very methodically. We had a video camera, still camera, both of us had check lists, notebooks and somewhere to write misc. notes. Both of us work in professions where detail is key, so we were very used to this. Once the agent saw us break out all the supplies, he said... oh yeah, you guys can look at as many houses as you want. You're organized.

We went home, he actually created a spreadsheet that scored the properties, they had weighted and unweighted scores too! We discussed each property, referred to pictures and videos as necessary and it looks like tomorrow we're closing on our #2 choice (#1 has unreasonable sellers that only wanted asking price even though it was HORRIBLY overpriced). We ended up with the bigger property DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET for less than their asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate