Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 AM

104 posts, read 289,650 times

Advertisements

my current listing is about to expire in a couple of weeks. i definitely will not be re listing with the same company. i have started interviewing other agents, several in fact. they are all surprised as to why my house hasn't sold, priced right, good size, lots of showings no offers. not even suggesting to lower the price and they all seem confident they can sell and market the house better than it has been. none of the agents that i am interviewing brought clients to my house in the past 5 months, and not sure why?
so what went wrong here? is one agent or company (well known) really going to make the difference? another home in my area that was priced higher and had less square footage and amenities just got sold, not sure if the agent has anything to do with it or if a buyer just really wanted that one. not sure if the buyers looked at mine too or wasn't shown mine at all. i am not looking to make an excuse as to why my house isn't sold, nor place blame, and i am told it is not overpriced. so can your agent be the issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 09:57 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,557,036 times
You could contact the agent your mention who sold the house with les square footage and see what she has to say about yours and about comparison.

You could also contact the top selling realtors in your area.

Did you take a look at the house that sold with less square footage at an open house or something? Was there a certain impression it created on entry?

Do you have a friend or acquaintance you can ask who looks at homes occasionally at open houses...how yours compared?

Sometimes we just don't think of things in our own homes that others notice.

You should also try to get feedback from your current listing agent. What were the comments he/she learned from the agents who showed your home all along....from the agent's point of view but also what did their clients say?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 AM

1,759 posts, read 5,120,152 times
This always bothered me when I listed properties that didn't sell. New agent comes along, says no problem we'll get this sold asap, yet this person never brought a buyer along or made an offer. It's all hubris.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:20 AM

542 posts, read 1,542,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luluwas View Post
my current listing is about to expire in a couple of weeks. i definitely will not be re listing with the same company. i have started interviewing other agents, several in fact. they are all surprised as to why my house hasn't sold, priced right, good size, lots of showings no offers. not even suggesting to lower the price and they all seem confident they can sell and market the house better than it has been. none of the agents that i am interviewing brought clients to my house in the past 5 months, and not sure why?
so what went wrong here? is one agent or company (well known) really going to make the difference? another home in my area that was priced higher and had less square footage and amenities just got sold, not sure if the agent has anything to do with it or if a buyer just really wanted that one. not sure if the buyers looked at mine too or wasn't shown mine at all. i am not looking to make an excuse as to why my house isn't sold, nor place blame, and i am told it is not overpriced. so can your agent be the issue?
It could be the agent. Perhaps your listing agent was too slow in responding to buyers' agents who tried to contact them about the house, so the buyers moved on to other properties with responsive listing agents. Or maybe your agent didn't market your house well.

It might not be the agent, though. Maybe your house is not in a good location (on a busy corner, just outside the "good" school area, etc.), or maybe you didn't keep it clean/presentable for showings (I haven't seen your house, so I'm not accusing you, I just don't know).

If you got lots of showings but no offers, then it's probably not a marketing issue. As someone else suggested, see if you can have a friend give you some honest feedback on your house, perhaps there's something they will notice that you don't because you live there. I'm sure the agents you're interviewing all want to sound confident they can sell your house fast because they want your business (and commission), so take it with a grain of salt; however, since they're all saying the same thing about the price and everything being good, there's probably some truth to it.

Good luck, hope it works out!

Old 10-22-2013, 10:20 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,517,928 times
Quote:
could one agent be better than another?
...is one agent or company (well known) really going to make the difference?
What do YOU do for a living?
Are there differences between the others who do the same thing?

Quote:
...all surprised as to why my house hasn't sold, priced right, good size, lots of showings no offers.
How many OTHER similar houses have sold in the same period?
How were they priced?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 AM

15,505 posts, read 40,215,771 times
The only time I have seen homes get a lot of showings and no offers is when there is something funky about it. Slightly odd floor plan type of stuff. What did the agents that you interviewed say were the negatives about your house?

Old 10-22-2013, 11:17 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,722,196 times
The person I bought my house from had switched realty companies before I bought.

He said after his experience with the first company ( most agents were older women ) he asked the new female agent................." Do you do this for a living or do you do this just because you are bored at home and want an activity to do "?

He said new agent ( younger) assured him this was her lively hood and she is ambitious.

We live in a retirement area and thus that first company had a lot of female agents who appeared to be semi-retired and didn't really need the money.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:01 PM

2,150 posts, read 5,142,354 times
The question that I have to ask is "What did your current agent do to market and sell the property?"

If they made a diligent effort, advertised it, helped you stage it, held open houses, etc. Then I would have to look elsewhere for the reason it did not sell. Like something objectionable about the home.

However, if all your agent did was put up a sign and put it in the MLS and wait for a buyer, then look for another agent. I know there are people who do not believe that you can market a home, but I disagree.

When I sold my last home, my agent, did a great job of marketing the home. We had buyers from every end of the metro area and the home sold quickly. I am totally convinced that her hard work was the difference.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:46 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,178,011 times
Quote:
i am not looking to make an excuse as to why my house isn't sold, nor place blame, and i am told it is not overpriced. so can your agent be the issue?
First of all, all real estate is local. You didn't tell us about your market, how hot it is, the supply and demand, how fast houses are sold, how is your house compared to others, is it staged, is the photos appealing, etc, etc. So it's impossible for me to tell if your agent is the problem.

Second, I'm speaking as a seller, not an agent - most homes sell themselves. I know that agents like to think they have something to do with it but 99.9% of the time, houses are sold because the buyers walked into the house, liked what they saw and made offers. If your houses isn't sold and it had a lot of showings, it's probably the house or the price that's the problem; it meant no one walked into the house and liked it enough to meet your price.

Third, just like every NBA team runs the pick and roll, every agent has the same marketing plan. They may call it differently, but it's the same plan. The devils in the detail, it's not the plan it's how well they execute it. That's why I don't interview agents, I observe them - I evaluate their listings, their sold properties, I go to their open homes, talk to them, get a feel for how they work the field, etc, etc.

Fourth: no agent is perfect. Everyone has his/her strength and weakness. Some agents are better at engaging buyers, some are better at presenting a home, some are better at being thorough and reachable, etc. You have to decide which type of agent you need and usually it is driven by how hot the market is. In a buyer's market, you need someone who is good at presenting your house, in a dead-slow market you need an agent who charms the buyers, and in a hot market you probably just need someone who is thorough and stay on top of things.

And lastly, here is this:
In Real Estate, Looks Can Sell

Remember, I'm just the messenger.

Last edited by beb0p; 10-22-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 01:33 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,601,144 times
Quote:
i am not looking to make an excuse as to why my house isn't sold, nor place blame, and i am told it is not overpriced. so can your agent be the issue?
Buyers don't care about agents, if they want the house, they will place an offer. Ask yourself, what is wrong with my house? (location, next to something undesirable, etc) Next, look online for houses in your area and price range. Is your house much worse for the same price? Investigate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate