Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:39 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
"Your taxes will be $x,xxx because this is how much current owner pays"
"Look at this beautiful lot, it's a true preserve" (according to county appraiser the land belongs to some builder and according to master plan this "true preserve view" will be converted to somebody's else backyard)
"Sure you can put a fence here!"
"You have an access to this lake and just imagine taking your boat and relax on the water" (lot ends 15 ft from the lake)

My point is - don't make any claims if you don't have full info.

What interesting is realtors prefer to answer all question in person or over the phone - and never via email. Why?

I am not sure what is better. I had a realtor who always answered "don't know" to any of our questions - "Where this lot ends? (subdivision) - I don't know, you need to hire a surveyor." "- can we place white plastic fence? - I don't know, you need to contact HOA", "What is cover by HOA fees? - Don't know - contact HOA management company yourself because they don't like to talk to realtors". That realtor was a major waste of time and was good to unlocking the door because there were multiple mistakes in the offer he put together for us starting with incorrect mortgage type and amount (!) and multiple misspellings.
Have you actually had these types of wrong information said to you in multiple situations by multiple agents? I mean, I can believe that it happens rarely but your use of "Realtors" implies that this is an across the board problem or, at the least, a problem you have had on multiple occasions. Then, on the other hand, you complain that "Realtors" never give answers and pass you off to other (more appropriate) sources of information. It's hard to see how both problems can exist at the same time.

I guess my point is that, had you said "I once had an agent who said..." it would be entirely different than defaming an entire profession. And, if you are going to suggest that agents not give wrong info, it makes no sense that you would also be upset if they suggest the best way to get the right info. OTOH, I would agree that YOUR agent should have said that he/she would check with the HOA or try to get a copy of the survey, etc. That's just good customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Have you actually had these types of wrong information said to you in multiple situations by multiple agents?
Yes. Many times. Used realtors through friends/family recommendations, through zillow rating (reviews are FAKE at Zillow!!!), randomly chosen, online... called listing agents/used listing agents from one property to search for other properties later... You name it.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:11 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Quote:
Yes. Many times. Used realtors through friends/family recommendations, through zillow rating (reviews are FAKE at Zillow!!!), randomly chosen, online... called listing agents/used listing agents from one property to search for other properties later... You name it.
LOL...well that's just sad.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
What kind of questions can you answer? Example please...
If I purchase a property which does not have a Principal Residence Exemption, how can I get the property exempt from the 18 mil state education tax? What forms do I need to file? Where do I need to file them? What are the deadlines to file?

If a property has a Taxable Value of $125,000 and a present tax bill of $2,000, yet the State Equalized Value is $360,000, what will my property taxes be next year if I purchase the property?

If the PRE and the Agriculural Exemption both exempt a property from paying 18 mils, what are the differences between the two exemptions and which is better to qualify under? Can I have an exemption under both?

Since the Taxable Value is automatically increased to State Equalized Value upon transfer of a property, are there ways to cap the assessments so my taxes aren't increased if I purchase the property? Are properties transferred between family members subject to having the assessment increased?

Are there any property tax implications as to whether I close by December 31st or January 1st?

If the local assessor doesn't agree to lower my assessment based upon my purchase price, what legal rights do I have to appeal the tax assessment? What are the deadlines for doing so and what is the process to appeal to the state if the local Board of Review doesn't adjust my assessment?

We're a nonprofit organization and we want to buy the property and be exempt from ad valorem property taxes. What are the legal requirements to qualify for property tax exemption and can you direct us to some case law for our attorney?

We're concerned about some hazardous waste that may have been dumped on the property. How can we purchase the property and not be held liable for the cost of cleaning up any prior contamination?

These are just a few examples of questions which I routinely answer. Oftentimes I will provide the information without being asked. It's just part of my role of being a Buyer's Broker. When in doubt, I will find the answer or direct them to the proper authorities who can give them correct information. I oftentimes will give information about regulations and state law, but I will also recommend that they confirm legal questions with their own legal counsel. A lot of attorneys don't know that much about real estate law, and if so, I will direct the attorneys to the proper sources of information so they can confirm what I've told their clients. For certain issues, I will suggest a few companies or attorneys who I know are qualified to handle their particular situations.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:55 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Your post makes zero sense. Work on complete sentences.
I thought I was going mad trying to make sense of it

Old 10-25-2013, 09:23 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
If I purchase a property which does not have a Principal Residence Exemption, how can I get the property exempt from the 18 mil state education tax? What forms do I need to file? Where do I need to file them? What are the deadlines to file?

If a property has a Taxable Value of $125,000 and a present tax bill of $2,000, yet the State Equalized Value is $360,000, what will my property taxes be next year if I purchase the property?

If the PRE and the Agriculural Exemption both exempt a property from paying 18 mils, what are the differences between the two exemptions and which is better to qualify under? Can I have an exemption under both?

Since the Taxable Value is automatically increased to State Equalized Value upon transfer of a property, are there ways to cap the assessments so my taxes aren't increased if I purchase the property? Are properties transferred between family members subject to having the assessment increased?

Are there any property tax implications as to whether I close by December 31st or January 1st?

If the local assessor doesn't agree to lower my assessment based upon my purchase price, what legal rights do I have to appeal the tax assessment? What are the deadlines for doing so and what is the process to appeal to the state if the local Board of Review doesn't adjust my assessment?

We're a nonprofit organization and we want to buy the property and be exempt from ad valorem property taxes. What are the legal requirements to qualify for property tax exemption and can you direct us to some case law for our attorney?

We're concerned about some hazardous waste that may have been dumped on the property. How can we purchase the property and not be held liable for the cost of cleaning up any prior contamination?

These are just a few examples of questions which I routinely answer. Oftentimes I will provide the information without being asked. It's just part of my role of being a Buyer's Broker. When in doubt, I will find the answer or direct them to the proper authorities who can give them correct information. I oftentimes will give information about regulations and state law, but I will also recommend that they confirm legal questions with their own legal counsel. A lot of attorneys don't know that much about real estate law, and if so, I will direct the attorneys to the proper sources of information so they can confirm what I've told their clients. For certain issues, I will suggest a few companies or attorneys who I know are qualified to handle their particular situations.
My experiences says not many realtors are as good as you

Old 10-25-2013, 10:32 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
My experiences says not many realtors are as good as you
That's my experience, too. But I'm not a Realtor--I'm a Real Estate Broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate