Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:51 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times

Advertisements

I agree. I had the worst experience with them. I ended up firing my agent and rented out my property myself. Some of these folks would sell their young for a commission. I love real estate; I even took the real estate course and passed but I do not have the stomach to go out and hustle. It is a really competitive business that brings out the worst in people.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 AM

373 posts, read 589,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Most of the good agents whom I know have either college or graduate degrees. As with in any field, if you seek out someone with better education, training and experience you will likely have a better chance of finding a good agent. Of course, I've known a couple of scumbag agents, too, and a number that I would consider to be "trainees". But I've known more agents like those described below.
Geez, in Michigan, btw, I have encountered realtors mostly with a HS diploma, cheap suits, half illiterate speech skills, and a loaded Lexus. My story a few pages back, played out in SE MIchigan, including Ingham and Livingston county. Read it.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:25 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,528,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I agree. I had the worst experience with them. I ended up firing my agent and rented out my property myself. Some of these folks would sell their young for a commission. I love real estate; I even took the real estate course and passed but I do not have the stomach to go out and hustle. It is a really competitive business that brings out the worst in people.

Real Estate agent - the 2nd oldest profession

Most of my dealings with them over 20+ yrs have been negative. I find it hard to believe that in different states and decades apart I'd find the same behavior in those people. Focused on the commission and that was about the end of their focus. Once the deal is done, they don't even return phone calls.

You are only valued by them if you can make them money. Once the ink dries it's off to the next customer. "Oh, you have a question? Sorry, I got my money".

Old 11-12-2013, 10:44 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
The point that I think has gotten missed here is that real estate agents who behave such as those the OP and many others are describing will either not last long in the business, or always be just barely getting by.

The good agents, who stay in the business, busy, for a long time, are the ones who realize that most of their business after the first 5 years will come from referrals from past clients. My parents have been agents for 20+ years, and they don't even take on new clients anymore. Anyone who comes in off the street or calls in randomly off a sign is handed off to other agents in the office (my mom is the broker, so assigns business out to her agents regularly). They have more business from past clients and their referrals who specifically ask for them than they can keep up with, so only handle those listings/sales anymore.

The reason past clients come back to them, and refer people to them, is because they are good, honest people who try to do what is right for their clients, not necessarily what will make them the most money. You make more money in the long run by doing the right thing in the short run. Agents who get that are more successful.

It is just like any other service profession. You can go through a half a dozen dentists before finding a good one. Same with doctors, lawyers, etc. I have yet to find a car mechanic I'm happy with, after trying at least 10. The best way to find a good one is through a referral from someone who goes there.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:59 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
Geez, in Michigan, btw, I have encountered realtors mostly with a HS diploma, cheap suits, half illiterate speech skills, and a loaded Lexus. My story a few pages back, played out in SE MIchigan, including Ingham and Livingston county. Read it.
Cheap suits I can believe--but they should know better than to drive a Lexus.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:00 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
It's interesting how threads similar to this always have so many pages and this forum agents feel the need to proof they are above average agents just saying.... Somehow all good agents grouped on this forum and the rest of them we came across in real life are just a joke. I mean joke profession with joke people in it LOL

Old 11-12-2013, 02:18 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
It's interesting how threads similar to this always have so many pages and this forum agents feel the need to proof they are above average agents just saying.... Somehow all good agents grouped on this forum and the rest of them we came across in real life are just a joke. I mean joke profession with joke people in it LOL
most of "us" find threads like this humorous.. no one is tying to prove anything.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:05 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
most of "us" find threads like this humorous.. no one is tying to prove anything.
maybe all the real estate agents should just stay off the real estate forum and let everyone fend for themselves. they can ask their questions and get answers from the city data folks that know everything about everything.. I actually try to come on this forum to help, but it's exhausting reading the same garbage over and over from the same people. Oh well.. now I tend to read for curiosity and it makes me thankful for all the awesome people I get to work with in my area.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:19 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
A realtor who was a real windbag always came in the convenience store my daughter worked in during her college years.

He always put both hands on the counter (palms down) to show off his huge rings on every finger.

I'll bet he bought them at a dollar store.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:20 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcater View Post
maybe all the real estate agents should just stay off the real estate forum and let everyone fend for themselves. they can ask their questions and get answers from the city data folks that know everything about everything.. I actually try to come on this forum to help, but it's exhausting reading the same garbage over and over from the same people. Oh well.. now I tend to read for curiosity and it makes me thankful for all the awesome people I get to work with in my area.
Just keep helping people, and don't worry much about the trolls.
It really is sad that people come here with issues and questions, and the usual trolls will lie to them and mislead them for cheap entertainment, but you should maintain the role of offering good input.
I think that consumers deserve truth and help, and an honest counterpoint to trolling and lying is not a bad role to undertake.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 11-12-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate