Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:57 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Realtors are people and with that come the good and the not so good.

To make a blanket statement is naive...
The industry is saturated, there are more 'not so good' than 'good'. I've been involved in more than a handful of real estate transactions and haven't had any luck finding a competent honest one. They work for their commission not for the client.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:02 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Just keep helping people, and don't worry much about the trolls.
It really is sad that people come here with issues and questions, and the usual trolls will lie to them and mislead them for cheap entertainment, but you should maintain the role of offering good input.
I think that consumers deserve truth and help, and an honest counterpoint to trolling and lying is not a bad role to undertake.
so true, so true!

Old 11-12-2013, 05:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
The industry is saturated, there are more 'not so good' than 'good'. I've been involved in more than a handful of real estate transactions and haven't had any luck finding a competent honest one. They work for their commission not for the client.
I guess that I have been very fortunate in finding the good ones...

The one thing they all have in common is decades in the business and in the same area...

My first agent really taught me the ropes and prevented me from making some dumb buys... almost counter intuitive because she lost out on a commission.

On the other hand she had a wall of awards, was very active in the local community and was the go to Real Estate lady... she never marketed... only word of mouth from satisfied clients.

My advice is find someone that is full time, has lots of local experience and references...

My Grandfather was in the car business all his life... friends would go and see him to buy their first car... he would always say a person is looking at too much car if they couldn't pay for it in 3 years new or 2 years used... lost sales... built up a client base.

Also always had his home phone and address on his business cards...

Old 11-12-2013, 07:10 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
so why don't you get it then? most real estate agents can get into the business by having a high school diploma or ged, taking 3 short (one term of junior college) RE courses and passing a state test. That is a very minimal education. yes it has to be occasionally updated, not massively though. Your masters degree is beside the point. That is simply not required for real estate professionals to operate.
This is true, but the average age of a REALTOR® is 57. Most real estate agents have done other things in their work life before real estate. They are very few agents, at least in my area, that go right into real estate from high school. If they do, they usually work as assistants for busier agents because pretty much no one wants to have an 18 year old representing them in a transaction.

There are a lot of former teachers, social workers, paralegals, construction, military, business degrees, etc. While it isn't required, the top agents in my area almost all have a bachelor's degree or higher. So yes, they can enter the profession with little education, but I think you'd be surprised at how many agents in Oregon have some kind of degree or associates degree.

I haven't yet seen a real estate agent with no degree in my area that I thought was awesome. They were typically crazy nice people, but that was about it. I think that was azcater's point.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
i thought i read somewhere, around 85% of newly licensed agents drop out within 2 years...
what looks so easy from the outside, isnt so easy, on the inside.

for the nose-pickers and leg humpers that put down realtors, get a life- until you've been one,,, you cannot judge fairly,,,walk a mile in their shoes.....

Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
for the nose-pickers and leg humpers that put down realtors, get a life- until you've been one,,, you cannot judge fairly,,,walk a mile in their shoes.....
So if I've purchased and sold several homes over the years, all using realtors, I can't comment since I haven't done that work?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:54 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
I worked for one realtor before like 7 years. After that experience I say never more. I forget it and worked for a realtor again. I say again never more. Realtors do not have moral at all. They lie like it is not tomorrow. I warn other tradesman to not have any business with realtors whatsoever. I do not know what is purpose of realtors, they should not exist at all.
Sorry about your apparently bad experience with realtors ( or perhaps with your perception of realtors as a group- I'm sure there is more than one side of a story here).

I couldn't have had a better experience with a realtor than the one we had to sell our house earlier this year. She was helpful, professional, knowledgeable, and as honest as the day is long...and, she brought us three solid offers (one for the asking price) the first day it was on the market.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:01 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, there ain't an empty seat in the short bus today!

Sheesh.
ROFL!!!!! Got me at an inopportune time, now I've got coffee coming out of my nose.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:27 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monello View Post
So if I've purchased and sold several homes over the years, all using realtors, I can't comment since I haven't done that work?
Why on earth have you continued to use real estate agents? No one is forcing you to do so. Wouldn't you be better off handling all of the transactions yourself?

I know that I would usually prefer to work directly with owners (when I buy)...but sometimes an agent can actually be helpful in getting an owner to come to terms.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:18 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Reminds me of a female realtor near us.
Even with the housing market tanking she always said,,,,,,," It may be slow elsewhere in the country but I am soooo busy I don't know where to turn "

Another of her favorite expressions was............." the good realtors are ALWAYS BUSY "

Yup, she said that up until the night they moved out of their nice house and let it sit vacant.

She is probably flipping burgers someplace now.
What does being female have to do with anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate