Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:29 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,585,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Here's the funny part: we have had a number of Asians look at our home. So I doubt oriental rugs would offend them...
They will often spread the word within their community. How is the feng shui in your home (not into it myself but it seems intriquing). It may suit them without your even realizing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 08:57 AM

9,471 posts, read 9,345,383 times
Feng Shui

After your post, I read a little about feng shui. Apparently, our house has some good elements, especially in the garden--wind chime, garden bench, and stepping stones. Our front steps do not face the front door directly, which is fortuitious. And we have some oriental furniture, as well. So maybe we'll have more Asian visitors!!

Old 12-08-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Feng Shui

After your post, I read a little about feng shui. Apparently, our house has some good elements, especially in the garden--wind chime, garden bench, and stepping stones. Our front steps do not face the front door directly, which is fortuitious. And we have some oriental furniture, as well. So maybe we'll have more Asian visitors!!

I recall when one enters the front door one should not look at a window (I have a whole wall of windows across the living room) nor a fireplace (I'm out on that one too). The luck goes out I hear. However, some are willing to correct that with a wall if possible.

Good for you on the front steps. It is unusual that your steps don't face the front door directly. Seems like most do.

I remember Asian people saying something on every step they walked up. It was gold silver death. I looked it up and it starts with gold. They were looking for gold or silver to trump by the time they get to the top.

And I recall their happy surprise when they saw closets and storage/hidden sort of areas well organized and even pretty.

If I remember correctly an East facing front door is best.

The master bedroom should be over a peaceful area. Easiest for the Westerner to accomplish with our Western design is the first floor bedroom. Feng shui says over a garage or kitchen or again facing that front door is not good for deep sleep.

It seems the Western kitchen design in our single family homes are pretty easy to work with.

Your bringing this up is fascinating me once again. I want to spend a little more time looking into it.

Last edited by cully; 12-08-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 01:33 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,999,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I recall when one enters the front door one should not look at a window (I have a whole wall of windows across the living room) nor a fireplace (I'm out on that one too). The luck goes out I hear. However, some are willing to correct that with a wall if possible.

Good for you on the front steps. It is unusual that your steps don't face the front door directly. Seems like most do.

I remember Asian people saying something on every step they walked up. It was gold silver death. I looked it up and it starts with gold. They were looking for gold or silver to trump by the time they get to the top.

And I recall their happy surprise when they saw closets and storage/hidden sort of areas well organized and even pretty.

If I remember correctly an East facing front door is best.

The master bedroom should be over a peaceful area. Easiest for the Westerner to accomplish with our Western design is the first floor bedroom. Feng shui says over a garage or kitchen or again facing that front door is not good for deep sleep.

It seems the Western kitchen design in our single family homes are pretty easy to work with.

Your bringing this up is fascinating me once again. I want to spend a little more time looking into it.
Well, I'm screwed on all counts: front steps, FP, windows, etc... My backyard neighbor has the same house I have and she's directly from China - she seems to be managing just fine. I'll have to ask if she believes in this.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Well, I'm screwed on all counts: front steps, FP, windows, etc... My backyard neighbor has the same house I have and she's directly from China - she seems to be managing just fine. I'll have to ask if she believes in this.
There are ways to amend things when not in perfect line with feng shui principles. And I guess one shouldn't assume all Asians adhere to this, particularly if they are younger, more modern, and have grown up here.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:04 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,999,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
There are ways to amend things when not in perfect line with feng shui principles. And I guess one shouldn't assume all Asians adhere to this, particularly if they are younger, more modern, and have grown up here.
My neighbor has only been in the US for about 8 years. She's probably 40 or so.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Classical Feng Shui is fascinating stuff.
Like Mozart, Bach, and Hadyn.

Pop feng shui can be painful, like a stone in your shoe.
Like twerking...

Old 12-08-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Classical Feng Shui is fascinating stuff.
Like Mozart, Bach, and Hadyn.

Pop feng shui can be painful, like a stone in your shoe.
Like twerking...
Yes, the people I knew were recently over to a few years over. A lovely flow to it all.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:33 PM

1,579 posts, read 938,541 times
I found this while searching, is this still the rule?

I have two wool, machine woven, oriental rugs that I've removed because I am having the hardwood floors refinished to fix really bad sun bleaching and peeling. I posted about this before. I got a decent price on refinishing and, to me, faded peeling hardwood floors look unkempt. I decided to get them done now so I can enjoy them a bit before I move. They can be refinished a few more times according to the flooring guy, so I am not ruining anything for any potential buyer who wants to re-stain them later.

I am glad too, when I removed the non-slip underlay/rug gripper under the rugs, I saw where the underlay had stuck to the floor and it damaged it a little (looks like dots with the pattern of the underlay in the polyurethane layer).

The rugs are due to be professionally cleaned (I have a dog, so they get doggy over time). But I am not taking the rugs when I move, so I figured I would just get rid since I don't want to spend $240 on rugs to be cleaned and deodorized if I am getting rid of them in six months.

The rooms the rugs were in seem bigger now, which is weird but also good since I have a small townhouse. But it also feels hollow, like there isn't enough furniture. And it looks "weird" to see the wood floors. But maybe that's because I am used to seeing the rugs. Maybe no one else would care. I wondered, for selling, if it was better to have them or not which is how I found this old thread. It looks like getting rid of them is still best. But before I get rid of them, I wanted to be sure. Are bare, refinished hardwood floors are best? Or does it look more inviting to have rugs on the floors?

Old 11-17-2021, 07:05 AM

8,541 posts, read 13,961,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I found this while searching, is this still the rule?

I have two wool, machine woven, oriental rugs that I've removed because I am having the hardwood floors refinished to fix really bad sun bleaching and peeling. I posted about this before. I got a decent price on refinishing and, to me, faded peeling hardwood floors look unkempt. I decided to get them done now so I can enjoy them a bit before I move. They can be refinished a few more times according to the flooring guy, so I am not ruining anything for any potential buyer who wants to re-stain them later.

I am glad too, when I removed the non-slip underlay/rug gripper under the rugs, I saw where the underlay had stuck to the floor and it damaged it a little (looks like dots with the pattern of the underlay in the polyurethane layer).

The rugs are due to be professionally cleaned (I have a dog, so they get doggy over time). But I am not taking the rugs when I move, so I figured I would just get rid since I don't want to spend $240 on rugs to be cleaned and deodorized if I am getting rid of them in six months.

The rooms the rugs were in seem bigger now, which is weird but also good since I have a small townhouse. But it also feels hollow, like there isn't enough furniture. And it looks "weird" to see the wood floors. But maybe that's because I am used to seeing the rugs. Maybe no one else would care. I wondered, for selling, if it was better to have them or not which is how I found this old thread. It looks like getting rid of them is still best. But before I get rid of them, I wanted to be sure. Are bare, refinished hardwood floors are best? Or does it look more inviting to have rugs on the floors?
I don't have an issue with area rugs when I'm selling a house so long as they are appropriately sized. Area rugs should cover . . . well an area and not the whole room. The OP of this thread was talking about rugs that covered almost the entire room. The rugs don't come with the house. The hardwood floors do. So, I want to show buyers your floors and not just a tiny strip of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate