Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:24 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,699,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Mine is clearly and obviously tacked on to my rent. Landlords are pretty blase' about passing the expense on to us, the tenants.

I also got a copy of the HOA rules when I moved in. Most are common sense and it's sort of insulting to have to be TOLD not to leave garbage lying around...not to play loud music or have the TV turned up after a certain hour...not to use my garage as a repair shop...etc.

They even dictate what color curtains I can have. I hate HOAs like that.
They are not dictating the color of your curtains. They are dictating that the backs of the curtains must be white. I totally agree with this. Who wants to live in a nice neigborhood where the neighbors are to cheap to put up decent window coverings? I have seen some houses with beach towels covering the windows of unused bedrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 08:35 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,130,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
They are not dictating the color of your curtains. They are dictating that the backs of the curtains must be white. I totally agree with this. Who wants to live in a nice neigborhood where the neighbors are to cheap to put up decent window coverings? I have seen some houses with beach towels covering the windows of unused bedrooms.
No...I can read. They are dictating the color of the curtains. It did not say the backs had to be white. It said curtains must be white, off-white, or another pale neutral color.

I don't like pale curtains; I like dark ones that block out more light, but because of narrow-minded people in the HOA, I'm being dictated to. Obviously I don't want people to pin up beach towels or aluminum foil, but why only pale curtains? It's stupid.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 AM

403 posts, read 1,168,455 times
A lot of people have no problem with beach towels or with aluminum foil, yet you would have no problem dictating to them.

If you don't like the rules, HOAs are pretty democratic - and a heck of a lot easier to reach than your local state legislator. Go to the meetings and spend your time working to improve things, rather than complaining.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Young View Post
A lot of people have no problem with beach towels or with aluminum foil, yet you would have no problem dictating to them.

If you don't like the rules, HOAs are pretty democratic - and a heck of a lot easier to reach than your local state legislator. Go to the meetings and spend your time working to improve things, rather than complaining.
I'm not a member of the HOA; the person who owns the property where I live is, even though I'm paying their dues for them. I don't get a vote...I'm just a scummy tenant.

I can't wait to buy another house. I owned my own home in the UK and it was a relief to not be dictated to in my own home. I don't want to have anything to do with an HOA that dictates everything to me.

As for beach towels and aluminum foil...people have a legitimate gripe that it brings down the neighborhood because it looks cheap. Dark curtains, however, do NOT...and they don't show near as much dirt as pale curtains. I think my HOA's rules are reasonable for the most part, though it is insulting that they feel they must TELL me not to blast my stereo, not to dump garbage, not to use my garage as an auto repair shop, etc.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:03 AM

335 posts, read 1,179,057 times
Say what you want about HOA's. But they were there when you moved in, bought or rented. You CAN get out! I am on the HOA Board in our neighborhood, and am so sick of hearing from whining people in the community that gripe about the HOA. Just follow the rules, pay your dues, and you will have no problems. Seems that the ones who complain the most, are usually the ones who don't pay.

Back to the OP, I would say that you as the owner of the home , are responsible for paying your HOA dues. We come after the homeowner, not the renter. I would not trust my finances to a renter. Now, that does not mean the renter does not have to pay the HOA dues. They are living there and enjoying the ammenites, in my neighborhood, that includes the pool and streetlights, among other things. So, they should have to pay, but I would say to add it to the rent.

Liz

Old 11-26-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffandliz View Post
Say what you want about HOA's. But they were there when you moved in, bought or rented. You CAN get out! I am on the HOA Board in our neighborhood, and am so sick of hearing from whining people in the community that gripe about the HOA. Just follow the rules, pay your dues, and you will have no problems. Seems that the ones who complain the most, are usually the ones who don't pay.
*shrug* I didn't get a copy of the HOA rules until I'd already signed the lease and wasn't aware that there was even an HOA until the property manager thrust the rules sheet into my hand...so there goes that argument. My landlord tacked the HOA dues onto my rent, so I'm not a deadbeat either and frankly, I resent the implication.

Had I known it would not have changed anything; I'd have still rented my place. I just don't like being dictated to and I find the rules kind of condescending.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,504 times
Default Hoa Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
not usually - you would have to figure your rent based on your housing expenses including HOA dues. You also need to make sure your association allows you to rent the house (sometimes it's required to be owner occupied). You also need to provide your prospective tenants with any rules & regulations of the HOA because you'll be fined if they don't cooperate with covenants. I went through this about 10 years ago with some bad tenants who didn't like following rules. Luckily we got them moved out before the association fined us as owners. Be very careful about choosing tenants!

I was Curious, i am planning on buying a apartment in San Diego CA. But the HOA is $250. Since i am paying the HOA Fees is this including the Property Tax? Or will i have to pay Property tax later at the end of the year.? Im guessing the property tax will a separate payment, but i just wanted to check. Thanks..Rock

Old 01-14-2008, 11:38 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,090,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I wonder what they would think of tinted windows. I actually saw that on a house in West Oakland..

Old 01-15-2008, 10:50 AM

3,080 posts, read 11,042,315 times
Be sure to get their signature on a document that includes the HOA rules and requires them to pay the fines. The HOA agreement is a document that legally binds the OWNER, NOT the renter. You have to write any HOA requirements you want the renter to follow into the lease. Or write that they must follow the HOA and include a copy with the lease. Also, just add the HOA fees into the rent.

If I rented a place with a standard lease agreement with no mention of the HOA or their rules, then had the HOA come by to tell me to change my curtains or mow the lawn, I'd just smile and direct them to fine my landlord if they didn't like it.

Well, I'd probably be nicer and more reasonable than that, but I wouldn't be legally obligated to fulfill the HOA requirements, that burden would be on the owner.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,178,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss4fusion View Post

I was Curious, i am planning on buying a apartment in San Diego CA. But the HOA is $250. Since i am paying the HOA Fees is this including the Property Tax? Or will i have to pay Property tax later at the end of the year.? Im guessing the property tax will a separate payment, but i just wanted to check. Thanks..Rock
HOA fees are seperate from any property tax.

BTW, you get a property tax statement once a year - in California, you have to option of paying it in increments - you don't have to pay it all at one time.

Also, if you are financing your home purchase, your lender may require an "impound" account. In this case, you would pay your loan payment PLUS (usually) 1/12 of the property taxes and 1/12 of the hazard insurance, to the lender. Then the lender pays the taxes and hazard insurance premiums when they come due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate