Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am on my 6th HOA and the property owner is responsible for HOA fees and will be the one the HOA goes after to collect payment. The arrangement the owner has with the renter is of no interest to the HOA.

In some states the HOA can go after the renter (as in pay the rent to the HOA) if the owner has not paid HOA dues. The HOA will deduct the HOA dues and forward the rest to the owner along with a service charge of course. While uncommon, it is becoming more common and I say it is a good idea.
A court order to compel the renter to make his lease payment to the HOA has indeed become more common in my neck of the woods. It should not make a difference to the renter beyond a serious heads up, that the owner has financial problems that may include a default on mortgage payments and/ or property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 06:47 AM

336 posts, read 591,987 times
I pay the HOA fee as a landlord. I bump the rent up 2/3 of the HOA monthly dues and claim the dues as rental expense in my tax return. The end result is about even.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:27 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
They even dictate what color curtains I can have.
Have you considered choosing whatever color you like and lining the curtains with the color they want? All they and your neighbors really care about is what it looks like from the outside looking in.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:14 PM

13 posts, read 16,032 times
I had a rental where the HOA monthly fee bundled the water/sewer and trash collection. At first I paid it to ensure that it was up to date, but the fees varied so much each month it was a big hassle. I changed it so the tenants paid it directly. If they did not pay the bill by the 15th of the month, the association cut off the water. This provided the necessary incentive for them to pay the bill.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property.

In the case of an HOA, the renter effectively pays the HOA fee indirectly (embedded in rent) while getting zero representation.

No taxation without representation? That's for property owners.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:18 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I hope this is the right place to ask. We're considering renting out our house, and I was wondering if the renter usually pays the HOA fee?
The owner is responsible for HOA payments and if missed, you will be the one they go after. I say include them in the rent and you pay them to be sure they get paid.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:32 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The owner is responsible for HOA payments and if missed, you will be the one they go after.
The owner is responsible for taxes and insurance and a new furnace when the time comes too.
Should a tenants rent bill itemize for these things as well? Of course not.

Quote:
I say include them in the rent and you pay them to be sure they get paid.
And if some of the amounts truly reflect the TENANT's usage patterns (like water)...
then do a periodic accounting to rebate the overage they were charged.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:50 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
I am the president of the board directors of a 26-unit town house association in California. While I am not privy to the arrangements between the owners who rent their units (currently four out of 26) and their tenants, I have never heard of the tenants paying the HOA fee directly. Our management company bills the property owners for that fee, whether they live in their own units or not. Our water is not invidually metered, although the gas and electricity are. The HOA pays for the water/sewer, trash collection, weekly gardening and pool maintenance services, and all exterior maintenance on the buildings.

It makes no sense to me for the owner to charge separately for the HOA fee or for the tenant to pay that fee directly, for reasons given by others in this thread. Isn't it normal for owners to pay for the exterior maintenance such as painting and roofing? Well, that is a hefty chunk of our HOA fee.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:29 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
My neighbor rents out her house and we're in an hoa. She always pays the hoa directly. However, she offers a discount equal to the hoa fee if the tenant doesn't want to use the amenities, like pool, tennis, and basketball courts. She actually uses those amenities for her family.

All of these amenities require passes for entry. If the tenant would like to use those amenities, the rent is increased to cover the hoa fee. Then tenant gets passes and my neighbor can't.

Her contract covers hoa violations. If renter violates them, renter pays. Worth noting that our hoa always goes after property owner. She did have a situation where the renter parked on the grass and my neighbor was fined under threat of lien. She kept getting fined since renters wouldn't stop. She attempted to fine renter, and get them to stop, but it was a nightmare for her.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:18 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
My neighbor rents out her house and we're in an hoa. She always pays the hoa directly. However, she offers a discount equal to the hoa fee if the tenant doesn't want to use the amenities, like pool, tennis, and basketball courts. She actually uses those amenities for her family.

All of these amenities require passes for entry. If the tenant would like to use those amenities, the rent is increased to cover the hoa fee. Then tenant gets passes and my neighbor can't.

Her contract covers hoa violations. If renter violates them, renter pays. Worth noting that our hoa always goes after property owner. She did have a situation where the renter parked on the grass and my neighbor was fined under threat of lien. She kept getting fined since renters wouldn't stop. She attempted to fine renter, and get them to stop, but it was a nightmare for her.
It is a strange little dance, isn't it? We had a situation where a unit owner hired a management company to rent out his unit and manage it; that company advertised the unit, selected the tenant, and I suppose collected the rent for the owner. His management company didn't give a hoot about the HOA or its rules, but the owner was still responsible for the tenant's compliance with them. Problem is, he didn't deal directly with the tenant, who had alcohol and glass bottles at the pool (both in violation). That was sort of a mess, but it didn't last more than a year or so because the owner decided to sell and the buyer became the occupant. Ah, what a relief for us (the HOA). It never did get to the point of fines, which are a lot of trouble for us because our management company has to write the owner a formal notice summoning him to a hearing before the board, blah, blah, blah.

Talk about odd and confused lines of responsibility and communication! I hope that situation never repeats itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate