Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:17 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
The realtors here always tell people they are wrong, yet the real estate section is overflowing with stories of the same bad experiences from actual consumers. They all tell variations of the same bad stories, and of being taken to the cleaners.

I agree with you that realtors who want to stay in business for the long-haul need to step it up a notch, however, the requirements for becoming a realtor are too low and they allow too many new realtors through the revolving door of the industry. In 5 years they are gone and the national association has profited by collecting 5 years of their dues.

Who is the #2 largest lobbyist organization in the USA?

Educational and ethical requirements need kicked up a few notches to attract quality and accountability, not quantity.
There are bad plumbers, attorneys, garbage collectors, doctors, astronauts, etc, etc, etc. You can find people who are bad at their job in all walks of life. Your inference that the real estate industry is overflowing with bad practitioners is quite overblown. There are definitely plenty of stories about bad real estate deals on this forum, but you have to remember happy customers tell a few people and unhappy customers tell everyone. How many threads are there on here where a person said their agent was awesome? My bet is very few and it's not because there aren't any great agents out there.

I would absolutely agree with you though that in many states it's entirely too easy to become a real estate agent and even to stay a real estate agent. Here in MA, if you're a member of the bar you just have to fill out a form and send in a check and you get a broker's license. Even attorneys I know who got their license this way think it's a joke and it absolutely is. They don't have to perform continuing education to maintain a license either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 789 times
We just purchased a HUD foreclosed home through a top real estate agent. The land adjacent to it the
former home owner purchased before letting the home go into foreclosure.
A few days in our home and neighbor tells us our bedroom is not on our property, now is are driveway,
it is on the former home owners land. She p[purchased this land for $5000 a year before, now is asking 25000 for it.
We did not get a survey before purchase, was assured not necessary, title agency OK'd everything with slight
adjustment to the plat. Now everyone does not want to know us, all our fault.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:37 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
pelzer jim, start a topic on this. You could get answers.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I have never had a good experience with home inspectors or realtors. Most of them have cozy relationships with each other, and their income depends on selling that house to you. If inspectors consistently disclose issues with a home, the realtors will no longer use them because they wont be able to sell the homes.

I would go with a home warranty in the future.

Bs. I had hired my own inspector who CRAWLED through the whole house. Was there for about 5.5 hrs to the point where MY agent was whining about the guy being too thorough. Lol. I knew everything wrong with the house and it helped me make the decision on knowing exactly what the house needed in repairs and if I was willing to buy such house. I would have no problem using the guy again.
And his report was a deciding factor in my not purchasing the house.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:57 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelzer jim View Post
We just purchased a HUD foreclosed home through a top real estate agent. The land adjacent to it the
former home owner purchased before letting the home go into foreclosure.
A few days in our home and neighbor tells us our bedroom is not on our property, now is are driveway,
it is on the former home owners land. She p[purchased this land for $5000 a year before, now is asking 25000 for it.
We did not get a survey before purchase, was assured not necessary, title agency OK'd everything with slight
Get a survey.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:11 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelzer jim View Post
Did the title agency issue a title insurance policy? If so, you may need an attorney to review the title policy to see what it covers and what exceptions are noted in the policy. (Did you have one to review it when you purchased?) Unfortunately, sometimes title companies need to be sued in order for them to live up to their insurance policies.

At least in my area, a typical title policy would cover boundary issues unless there were a specific exception.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Did the title agency issue a title insurance policy? If so, you may need an attorney to review the title policy to see what it covers and what exceptions are noted in the policy. (Did you have one to review it when you purchased?) Unfortunately, sometimes title companies need to be sued in order for them to live up to their insurance policies.

At least in my area, a typical title policy would cover boundary issues unless there were a specific exception.
I would expect an exception specifically for boundary issues in the absence of a current survey.
OP needs to survey now.
Maybe the neighbor is right, or wrong. OP needs to have clarity.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 AM

480 posts, read 1,183,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I would absolutely agree with you though that in many states it's entirely too easy to become a real estate agent and even to stay a real estate agent. Here in MA, if you're a member of the bar you just have to fill out a form and send in a check and you get a broker's license. Even attorneys I know who got their license this way think it's a joke and it absolutely is. They don't have to perform continuing education to maintain a license either.
This could be a thread topic all by itself. And probably should be. I'd love to read the comments posted to that thread.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Too many disparate issues in this thread. Each "OP" needs to start a new thread, IMO.

Issue of boundaries;
R/E licensing;
Inspections/inspectors

No one can keep track of it all.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:03 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I would expect an exception specifically for boundary issues in the absence of a current survey.
I would expect that, too. It's just that I have no idea what he meant by "title agency OK'd everything with slight adjustment to the plat".

And I agree with all who proclaim that each topic needs it's own thread!!
(First timers can be excused--but only once.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate