Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 01:20 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,183 times

Advertisements

A wording I've been seeing in ads in an area of my state (not sure if it's a local thing or if it's happening in your charming, pet-friendly, conveniently located, ready-for-your-own-personal-touches, water-view-in-rainy-season, bank-owned, as-is backyard with "unique" landscaping and "friendly" neighbors, too ) is that the property has "updated" (the word "new" is not used) roof and/or AC.

I wonder if this is simply a synonym for "new" or is a euphemism meant to give the impression of a new roof or AC when it actually isn't?

Anyone come across this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 01:36 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
You would have to ask the specific listing agent or seller. However, in my neck of the woods, " updated"
means not brand new, but newer.

A roof might 2-5 years old and be considered updated as the house is 30 years old. the Same with the A/C.
The gist of it seems to be that the item is not the original and should not need replacing soon.

I also see a lot of " updated" kitchens, which around here is taken to mean not a full remodel but maybe new counter tops, appliances or flooring.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:08 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
You would have to ask the specific listing agent or seller. However, in my neck of the woods, " updated"
means not brand new, but newer.

A roof might 2-5 years old and be considered updated as the house is 30 years old. the Same with the A/C.
The gist of it seems to be that the item is not the original and should not need replacing soon.

I also see a lot of " updated" kitchens, which around here is taken to mean not a full remodel but maybe new counter tops, appliances or flooring.

Good to know, thank you!

I had been thinking if "updated" didn't mean new, then all I could think of was it would mean something was repaired or serviced rather than replaced, but now that you say it, that makes sense and is more straightforward than I'd thought, updated meaning "not original to the home." (But, like you suggested, I'd ask the agent or seller for details, just to make sure in a particular case the term isn't being used in the more euphemistic sense I'd originally thought of.)

Old 12-23-2013, 04:38 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think you need to pay less attention to the copy, and more attention to the photos. Of course, you don't see any photos of a financially distressed property. In that case I'd let my realtor call for more info.
I learned during my most recent house hunting that
1) No photos = Property is throughly trashed
2) No interior photos = Interior is a disaster.
3) Photos all of a particular area (e.g. shiny new kitchen) = rest of house is run down

In general, anything not photographed could be assumed to have a problem.
"Subject to bank approval" = don't bother if you want to move within the year.

Here's a few from the house I bought:
"Updated" -- 1960s decor partially covered with 1980s decor.
"Beautiful wooded lot" -- Some trees at the margin of the property, plus a couple of maples.

And from one I ended up rejecting:
"CHARM galore with modern updates, like the 1st flr Bath": The charm was you had to go through the 1st floor bath to get to one of the bedrooms.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:50 AM

501 posts, read 1,463,021 times
"Bring your decorating ideas" is one that seems to be used pretty regularly around here. The last one I looked at that said that featured harvest gold appliances, butcher block patterned formica counter tops, peeling drywall seams & mouse droppings in plain sight.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:56 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quaint--ugly
Unique--uglier than hel*
One of a kind--uglier than hel* times 10

Old 01-02-2014, 04:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
A wording I've been seeing in ads in an area of my state (not sure if it's a local thing or if it's happening in your charming, pet-friendly, conveniently located, ready-for-your-own-personal-touches, water-view-in-rainy-season, bank-owned, as-is backyard with "unique" landscaping and "friendly" neighbors, too ) is that the property has "updated" (the word "new" is not used) roof and/or AC.

I wonder if this is simply a synonym for "new" or is a euphemism meant to give the impression of a new roof or AC when it actually isn't?

Anyone come across this?
Updated probably means that they have replaced appliances or perhaps other components to the house. I don't interpret it to mean they have redecorated or remodeled. If they had, the copy would indicate that. However I have encountered badly written descriptions when the realtor doesn't pick up on pertinent information. The realtor at the other end of our house purchase wrote lousy, uninformative copy and didn't include more than 4 photos. If he had done a better job, we might have had competition for this house.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Here's word much in use in this area:

cosy

I think it means small.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:50 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
Around here, 'updated' tends to mean 'destroyed the original high-quality [kitchen/woodwork/floors/whatever] and replaced with lowest-end builder-grade stuff with no thought to functionality or aesthetics'.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:13 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
"Quiet area" = if a black bear breaks into your home and mauls you, the police will respond in about 45 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate