Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:03 PM
AVA AVA started this thread

129 posts, read 321,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Do not borrow against your 401k. That is a horrible idea. I would do the short sale route. As a last resort, rent it. I think your credit is the least of your worries at this point.

Walking away is always an option, too. Unfortunately with the housing market the way it is a lot of houses are worth 100k+ LESS than what the owners owe on them. Sometimes letting a house go into foreclosure is the ONLY option.
We really don't want to do that, we've taken that idea off the table for now. I'd hate to let the house go and ruin our credit, these next few months will be the most stressful we've ever experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Then ask $199... and be prepared to go as low as your LENDER will accept.
You HAVE had that conversation with your lender... right?

Objective HAS TO BE to sell promptly so you can move on with your lives.
I have only had the conversation with the 2nd mortgage holder. I was thinking of asking $199k as well. And have the realtor put in the listing it's a relocation and sellers are motivated. Would that help?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 997 times
We have found ourselfs in a similar situation, except we are almost 2 years down the line. My husband was offered an excellent opportunity in a different state 450 miles away in 8/12. At that point, we rented him a small apartment in the new town, while I stayed with our child in our home. A year later, 9/13, I was offered a great job in the same area as DH. So we rented a condo in the new town for our family and put the home for rent since it was underwater. The rent did not cover the full amount of our expenses (mortgage, 2nd mortgage, taxes, HOA), so each month we are coming under by about $300 dollars.
The house was purchased for $325K (250K first mortgage, 70K second mortgage) in 2006 ... homes similar to ours are currently going for $200K.

Our initial tenants have now moved. And we are once again scrambling to get the house rented. Again still at a loss of about $300-400 dollars a month. We are still renitng in the new state. In the meantime, we are considering taking out a loan on the 401K to pay for a couple of months of mortgage should the house sit without new tenants as we cant afford both the mortgage and our current rental condo.

I dont see the point of renting it out anymore or keeping the house (no financial or tax benefit). But my husband is afraid of the hit on our credit.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:49 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
If you want to sell quickly, be the lowest priced home in the area. You mentioned other homes are listed at $220K and you owe $167K. Make your selling price be right where you pay off any realtor and closing fees and walk away with nothing.

If you can wait a few months, do as another poster said. Pay for an appraisal and sell it for 5 percent or a bit more less.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorfian View Post
The house was purchased (at the TOP of the pre-crash market) for $325K in 2006
... homes similar to ours are currently going for $200K.

I don't see the point of renting it out anymore or keeping the house.
...still at a loss of about $300-400 dollars a month.
I agree. But I'd have said that two years (and $10,000) ago as well.
Sell the albatross. Take the hit. Move on. Unencumbered.

Quote:
But my husband is afraid of the hit on our credit.
...we are considering taking out a loan on the 401K...
Sit down with the CPA. Run the numbers. Contact the lenders.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorfian View Post
We have found ourselfs in a similar situation, except we are almost 2 years down the line. My husband was offered an excellent opportunity in a different state 450 miles away in 8/12. At that point, we rented him a small apartment in the new town, while I stayed with our child in our home. A year later, 9/13, I was offered a great job in the same area as DH. So we rented a condo in the new town for our family and put the home for rent since it was underwater. The rent did not cover the full amount of our expenses (mortgage, 2nd mortgage, taxes, HOA), so each month we are coming under by about $300 dollars.
The house was purchased for $325K (250K first mortgage, 70K second mortgage) in 2006 ... homes similar to ours are currently going for $200K.

Our initial tenants have now moved. And we are once again scrambling to get the house rented. Again still at a loss of about $300-400 dollars a month. We are still renitng in the new state. In the meantime, we are considering taking out a loan on the 401K to pay for a couple of months of mortgage should the house sit without new tenants as we cant afford both the mortgage and our current rental condo.

I dont see the point of renting it out anymore or keeping the house (no financial or tax benefit). But my husband is afraid of the hit on our credit.

So sorry about this. I know the frustration. We now have our home listed with a rental agency. No hits yet so that's been 2k out per month for the past 6 months (the 6 months before that we were able to expense it with my husband's company as part of the relocation)
Please keep me posted! Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate