Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:12 AM

926 posts, read 978,544 times

Advertisements

I am purchasing condo and closing completing around Jan 2014 this month. However in escrow doc shows property tax for 2013-2014 is incurred to me during which I did not own the property. Does it sound right??? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:49 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Check that carefully.
Taxes are paid ahead of time and during closing the seller is given credit back for the portion that will cover when you do own the house

Old 01-12-2014, 04:31 AM

517 posts, read 1,091,864 times
I guess it would be important to look into exactly how taxes are paid wherever a person is doing a transaction, because in my case, taxes are paid in arrears, and, because (when I bought) the title company underestimated what the taxes would turn out to be (they used the previous year's taxes to estimate what taxes would be for the year in which the sale took place, and this estimate turned out not to be high enough because values were rising at that time), I wound up paying more than I should have. (When taxes came due after I took possession, the amount the seller had credited to me at closing was not enough to cover what taxes for his portion of the year turned out to be, and so--by paying the tax bill in full--I wound up paying not only what I had been credited but also the difference between what I'd been credited and what was owed for his portion, as well as of course paying for my portion of the year.)

Last edited by City__Datarer; 01-12-2014 at 05:22 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 05:57 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
OP, check the closing statement to see if there is a corresponding amount in one of the columns on the seller's side. Closing statements can be tricky to figure out if the amounts being credited aren't in side-by-side columns.

CDer, in Florida, both parties usually sign a statement at closing stating that if the amount estimated is incorrect they agree to pay the difference to the other party when the tax bill arrives. For closings early in the year the amount of difference is usually insignificant but for a summer to early fall closing, it can amount to a chunk of change. It's up to the shorted party to go after it. I think a lot of people forget to check by the time the tax bill arrives in November (in Florida).

Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 AM

517 posts, read 1,091,864 times
Thanks, 1Insider.

This is all years back that I bought and sold that condo, and I understand a bit more now (just a bit ) than I did then. Hopefully what you've posted can help others who are buying now. (I also know enough now, but not then, to wonder why they were even using previous year's taxes when by the time of year when the closing took place, even though the actual bill would not yet have been mailed out, the TRIM notice stating at least the possible range of taxes--and making clear that there would be a notable increase, even if the exact amount was in question--would have already been received by the seller and have been a matter of public record...)

Little things like this (and unfortunately by no means limited to this) are why I pester you guys on City-Data with questions to try to understand as much as I can, and do appreciate all the great info people provide here!

Old 01-12-2014, 07:37 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyencd000 View Post
I am purchasing condo and closing completing around Jan 2014 this month. However in escrow doc shows property tax for 2013-2014 is incurred to me during which I did not own the property. Does it sound right??? Why?
It sounds right, generally you pay for your taxes in advance and if you bought it for more than the last guy, you might have to pay more later if they used the last guy's taxes as an estimate. Your loan person should have explained this to you, unless they they tried to avoid talking about it so they can make their closing cost sound lower and not scare you away since you are a first time buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
why
It is not rocket science, "they" could easily figure out what your taxes would be, but they are probably working with an old computer system from the 70s that no one knows how to change.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,425,536 times
In Colorado, taxes are paid in arrears. Buyer get a credit for last years taxes if not confirmed paid. Seller gets a debit.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 AM

926 posts, read 978,544 times
i also posted same question in zillows and it appears 2013-2014 period covers 2013 July to 2014 July. Since I am the owner starting 2014 Jan, this seem to be the reason. I looked through bill and that is what the exact tax period says. If that is so, it seems reasonable to me. What do you think? Thanks,

Old 01-12-2014, 10:39 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Who prepared the closing docs? Go over them carefully. People can make mistakes.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,398,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyencd000 View Post
i also posted same question in zillows and it appears 2013-2014 period covers 2013 July to 2014 July. Since I am the owner starting 2014 Jan, this seem to be the reason. I looked through bill and that is what the exact tax period says. If that is so, it seems reasonable to me. What do you think? Thanks,
That's the same time period covered by Summer tax bills in Michigan (July 1 to June 30). Tax proration is an easy thing to do and you should always check what's on the closing statement. Simply divide the tax bill by 365 to get the daily tax. Multiply that by the number of days (in your case) between your closing date and June 30. That will give you the amount of prorated tax that you will owe.

Note: Some closing agents prorate taxes based upon a 30-day month. I hate that way because I like to be precise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate