Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times

Advertisements

I can understand how it might cost more to have all of the sensors installed in the first place, but after that, how could monitoring it cost any more then a normal set up?

I'm in a similar size house with 10 doors and I believe the cost to monitor the whole thing is around $35 a month. It's not ADT, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:12 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
The 'price' you got was to 'set up' the security system: door and window switches, motion detectors, glass breakage detectors, smoke, fire, obnoxious gasses, etc, plus installing the keypads and central monitoring system inside of the house. It was WAY low for that house.

The cost to monitor the system is the same regardless of whether you have two doors or ten doors. It goes by the number of monitoring stations, of which you would have one--just the same as a one bedroom bungalow.

Stay away from the 'big guys' like ADT. Everyone else does the monitoring for $25 a month or so. Max.

BTW, could they have spent any less on finish and fixtures inside that house? It doesn't look like it has been updated since the 70's/80's. And who builds a house like that and doesn't install a security system? Makes you wonder where else they skimped.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
You can get a DIY system with wireless sensors you can self program and have it call your cell. You can also install some cameras that will send video. Self monitor from anywhere in the world.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:28 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Would one panel be able to handle all those zones? I admit i don't know much about alarms, except if i was starting from scratch, I'd go with a local provider. It seems like ADT is always raising my monthly rate by a dollar or two. All of a sudden my $32/month is now $46/month.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 PM

There are panels that can handle a lot of doors and windows. Upwards of 50 or more. DSC is a professional brand but can be bought online by. Consumers without going through a vendor. I would try and stay away from proprietary systems like Brinks or ADT because. In order to get parts, program new sensors or. Monitoring you have to go through them.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:03 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,886 times
They don't need to alarm every door and window - looks like not too many different hallways so a motion sensor in each common hall would quickly catch someone coming in.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It's apparently very pretty inside, but started decaying.
Seriously? The house looked pretty good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
It doesn't look like it has been updated since the 70's/80's.
The house was built in 1992. You do the math.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I've never heard of a security company that charged by the number of doors or windows. All three companies we've used over the years have charged a flat fee per month. It's all connected so it should not matter how many doors or windows.
Same here. It's all hooked up to a central box so I don't see why there would be any difference in the monitoring costs. I can see where they might charge more if you had another location added.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Ok, thank you all. My Q answered.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
They don't need to alarm every door and window - looks like not too many different hallways so a motion sensor in each common hall would quickly catch someone coming in.

Personal preference. I rather get the alarm signal out from the earliest time of intrusion. I suggest to all my customers to alarm EVERY entry point. On my commercial accounts we do security every access point gets monitored. Back when I did residential we did every access point. Garage included. Yes the big roll up door too. Key fob for the security system and LED light showing armed disarmed status as you drive up.
Most if my customers loved it. Complete security. Motions do a good job of covering but they depend on the intruder bring in the house. I want them gone ASAP. Before they get in preferably. Customers want alarm on at night also. Motions don't help at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Same here. It's all hooked up to a central box so I don't see why there would be any difference in the monitoring costs. I can see where they might charge more if you had another location added.
There isn't any difference. Lots of these alarm companies charge bs charges. They " give " you 4 free points and charge for the rest. Even though it makes absolutely zero difference to the receiver or the operator how many signals come in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate