Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 02:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,480,896 times

Advertisements

My dad died in 2003. He had a second wife. She died a few months after him.
My dad made a will leaving basically all his assets to her except for the mortgage he was carrying for house he and my mom owned outright. He sold it to son of neighbor when he intended to marry my stepmother and the ongoing note was the only part of his estate that came to my sister and myself when he died.

After his marriage to stepmother, he moved into house she owned from prior marriage. Kept in her name only.
Several years later that house was flooded and my stepmother sold it. They then moved into a mobile home they bought in both their names and had put on private land--not owned by either one of them.
The county where the mobile home is located still sends a tax bill to my dad and stepmother even though they have been dead for 9-10 yrs.

They were entitled to tax discounts because of their age--
when my stepmother's daughter became her heir, she never changed the title apparently and while she pays the taxes they are based on erroneous information.

Is there a law being broken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 03:21 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,220,806 times
When caught, she'll probably get a hefty tax bill. When my mom passed, and she had prop 13, we had to pay the difference from the date she passed till sold. I cant believe the daughter is taking such a risk.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:16 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,931,456 times
Huh? If they didn't own the land upon which the mobile home is located, why would the tax bills be in their name?

Old 01-27-2014, 04:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Huh? If they didn't own the land upon which the mobile home is located, why would the tax bills be in their name?
Good question. The discounts that I know of are based on ownership of the land.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:49 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,696,197 times
I don't care much for my in-laws, so when the stepfather inlaw's mother died, I called the appraisal district to see if the over 65 exemption should be taken off the house as I wanted their taxes to go up, and the CAD said the exemption would go to the heirs if they're living in the house. I was flabbergasted. I had no idea! She said it happens all the time, and as long as the house was her primary residence, the exemption can remain for her son, my in-laws.

I also agree with the above that there is only tax on land if you own the land. Are they paying a personal property tax for the mobile home? That can't be very much if they are.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:53 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,480,896 times
the tax roll shows that it is just the mobile home--and the daughter of my stepmother does not live in it at all--
as far as I can tell there is no tax actually being charged---but can't tell if that is because of the exemptions like DV and OA--disabled veteran and old age which the daughter is not entitled to claim since she isn't a DV and at the time was not over 65--against the low value of the mobile home maybe those exemptions mean no tax is owed...
long story short--
my stepmother targeted my dad and married him a few years after my mom died to skim his money (not that he had much) and take what she could when he died...
she and her daughter were very mercenary although acted like butter wouldn't melt in their mouths...they fooled us for long time...
and probably the daughter is still fooling people about her "generous" heart...
when really she is very narcississitc and borderline psycho...

it is not that she is getting away with not paying a minimal amount of tax--
it is just that she is getting away with anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate