Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:47 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,385 times

Advertisements

This last go around, I looked at about 30 homes. My realtor was with me every step of the way. It was like a part time job for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 02:53 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,519 times
I looked at probably 30. But for a lot of those, I went to open houses and scouted stuff prior to even signing with an agent.

I had two agents take me on a preliminary tour, 5-6 properties on each. I signed with the second agent.

I looked at about 6 properties on my second tour before I made an offer.

I did sometimes get the sense that my agent was eager for me to make an offer. I walked away from two places due to seller dishonesty or multiple bids that were driving the place over asking, but the third place was the winner.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:59 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,247 times
Everyone is different, but in my experience, the average is about 10.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
I think the more houses you have purchased in your life, the numbers of houses you look at each time decreases. With the internet, zillions of pictures and virtual tours, and Google Earth (so you can eliminate that house that backs to the used car lot) you can eliminate a LOT of houses without setting foot in them.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I think the more houses you have purchased in your life, the numbers of houses you look at each time decreases. With the internet, zillions of pictures and virtual tours, and Google Earth (so you can eliminate that house that backs to the used car lot) you can eliminate a LOT of houses without setting foot in them.
This is true. The last time we looked (last year) we zeroed in on ONE house.

But we have lived here for years and knew exactly where we wanted to be.

If you know what you want, and your agent is doing what s/he should, it should be like teamwork.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
It takes what it takes. We looked at 14 homes before we found the one we wanted ( which turned into a disaster) after that we looked at 5 more found another. We did not get it. Other than that I will not be forced to just pick one because the realtor wants me to. I will only buy the house that fits my needs.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:21 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
It is not a number.
I tell folks, "Most people look at enough homes to be certain that they have a good grasp of the market offerings in their price range. That may be 3, or it may be 43, but when they get to that point they usually make a selection from among the homes that they like the most."
I have shown 1 home and had buyers buy it. I have shown over 40.
I once showed a client 42 homes (She counted, not me.) And, she asked what I thought. I said my spiel, and also, "You haven't liked anything as much as the first one." She agreed and we went back and got a deal done on #1.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Every buyer is different. I started keeping track a couple of years ago. In my last 55 buyers, the average is 5.91 houses. That's with several buying within the first 1-2 houses they see and several buying after seeing 12-15 houses.

I like the average because it helps people understand that they don't need to look at everything on the market unless they're just looking for the next best thing. If you like a house, and can picture your family living there, there is nothing wrong with buying it. If you just feel the need to keep looking and you don't know why, you're not a buyer. If you truly feel you haven't found a house you can picture your family in, then by all means, keep looking.

My 4 closings for next month are 2 buyers bought the very first house, the next one took 16 houses and the next took 6. Funny that is still fits in my average of 6 houses!!

Old 01-28-2014, 05:55 PM

120 posts, read 215,182 times
In the 1 1/2 years we've been looking, we have looked at around 9-10 houses. I absolutely LOVE aerial views because before bothering my realtor I can get a lot of information on the yard and neighborhood to help me make my decision to look or not. I found a house that isn't perfect but checked all my main 3 criteria and we put in an offer. The house is a short sale and we are still in the process of working with the lender. I didn't want a short sale but this was the first house walking into that felt like it was the one we could live comfortably in. Now I just have to hope it works out. If it falls through I may look for a new buyers agent. Sometimes I feel like I am inconveniencing them.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:58 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
I'd say 15-20 for first time home buyers and more like 5-10 for experienced home buyers. I actually tell my first timers that they should look at 10-15 before even considering writing an offer because they have zero house knowledge. They just don't even know what kind of options they have in their price range. Most heed that advice and it works to their benefit. I had one young family that was thinking they wanted a certain house, but I didn't think it was going to sell fast because it was weird so I asked them to get through our 10. We went on two more days of home searching and went into a house that would have given the wife a sewing room. Something they didn't think they could have. Now she has a sewing business and makes a decent salary staying at home with the kids. All because they waited.

My favorite words as an agent are "this seems overpriced" or "this is well priced." Then I know my clients have the basics for the current market. Every agent is different, but I would rather show more houses and clients be solid on that house, rather than showing fewer and writing a bunch of offers on homes that fail.

5 is nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate