Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

I also wanted to add a few of the houses we looked at in some cases was the realtor not really comprehending that unless the house has a few specific must haves ( nothing out of the ordinary) I don't wanna look at them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:08 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
I recall looking at around 10 to 15 before I bought the one I am currently in.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 AM

505 posts, read 940,792 times
my first house, I wasn't even looking to buy, but when some people we had just met asked us if we wanted to check out their renovation project (they buy foreclosures, and spend a year or two renovating, and flip) we loved it and put an offer on two weeks later.

My second house we relocated out-of-state. We looked at 25(ish) houses, I think. Our realtor was awesome, and very accommodating.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:24 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,812 times
I looked at about 20 homes. I made a total of two offers. (The first offer I lost out to a cash buyer.) I guess that's an average of 10/offer for me.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
It takes what it takes.

The more houses you look at, the more secure you feel when you see "the one".

We bought the first house we looked at once we decided to buy, but we had looked at homes and neighborhoods for years. We knew which neighborhood we wanted to live in and that houses seldom went on the market there. The house was easy to like and the neighborhood is awesome. No regrets.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:19 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Its kind of an odd question. Its like asking how many women you dated until you found "the one" Its different for everyone.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:29 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Its kind of an odd question. Its like asking how many women you dated until you found "the one" Its different for everyone.
It is a common and reasonable question.
If it was really an odd question, agents wouldn't hear it so often.
People exploring the house buying process shouldn't shy away from asking sincere questions.

"The only dumb question is the one you don't ask."

Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Default Best answer so far is 5.91 (FalconheadWest)

I used an Exclusive Buyers Agent. She didn't try to steer me to any particular homes or areas, and of her other clients, only one was looking for anything like the same criteria as mine, so minimal conflict of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmy3dogs View Post
In the 1 1/2 years we've been looking, we have looked at around 9-10 houses. I absolutely LOVE aerial views because before bothering my realtor I can get a lot of information on the yard and neighborhood to help me make my decision to look or not.
Aerial views are great, especially if you're reviewing listings from a thousand miles away and trying to narrow down the number of houses to see on trip.

I found Bing maps' "Birds Eye View" to be the most helpful. Sometimes if you use the "rotate left/right" button you'll get a different set of images from another year, or at least another season. e.g. Left for Winter, Right for summer

I looked at about 5 houses before putting in an offer, and closer to twenty-five before closing.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:19 AM

192 posts, read 403,696 times
We didn't use a Buyers Agent, instead we scoured the internet for several years and did a lot of drive-bys then contacted the Listing Agent when we found something we liked. In the case of our current purchase, we had put an offer in on different house in 2012 but backed out after realizing it had many more issues than originally realized, then we found this one in 2013. So we saw two and put offers on both. I should add, in addition to the standard list (X bedrooms, Y baths, 1+ car garage, enough property for kids to run around, and good school district) we also wanted to avoid a particular house style that is very prevalent around here so the internet made it really easy to do that without involving a realtor.

For our first house we did something similar, we put an offer in on the first house we toured. That time though we were less picky as our budget was much smaller, we just wanted something that was bigger than our apartment, needed a reasonable amount of work, and had potential for resale later as we knew we probably would not stay more than 3-5 years.

By contrast, when my parents bought their house in the last 1980s I can't remember how many properties we saw, both in total and after they narrowed down what state and county they wanted to be in (all were within an hour of their work but required different realtors). Had to be at least 20 in the county they settled on. I think the internet would have made a huge difference in that as they could have seen a lot in pictures, also having had addresses they could have vetted properties better without waiting for a realtor to show them something that was inconveniently located.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:22 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Until you find the one that fits your expectations, compared to the others you've looked at. It often takes a while to size up the market you are in and to be able to communicate effectively with your agent. Experience gained in the past certainly makes one's housing search more efficient. I learned quickly that i didn't want a "unique" property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate