Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times

Advertisements

The offer contract I use is worded in such a way that the buyer has an inspection "period" (7 business days from acceptance of the offer for example) and according to the contract they don't have to respond to the seller until 48 hours after the inspection period ends. So, the actual date of the inspection is irrelevant. However, I strongly encourage my clients to respond within 24 hours of the inspection so as not to incur any ill will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 AM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,148,435 times
Great post Mike! This is generally what I see as well. The home inspection is considered general which may lead to investigations by other experts: all of that is supposed to be done within the inspection period unless there are unforeseen delays that require renegotiation of that time frame. Then the buyers have three days (in your case)to present any relevant findings or whatever.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:10 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Don't forget that the buyer does not have to share the full details of the inspection report with the seller.
Item 10.B.(ii) in the CA Real Estate Purchase Agreement says;

Buyer SHALL "Give Seller, at no cost, complete Copies of all Investigation reports obtained by Buyer, which obligation shall survive the termination of this agreement".

It's a commonly held myth that the buyer doesn't have to share reports.

Edit: LOL I had just been looking through a CA forum where a similar question was asked. Obviously my post only pertains to CA law.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
Thank you both for your replies.

Per the contract, they have to perform the home inspection within 10 days of ratified contract, and deliver the repair request addendum within three days of performing the home inspection. If the day of inspection doesn't count, technically I guess they don't have to get back to us until tomorrow (Wednesday) so I guess I'll just sit tight. They have a buyers realtor so I'm assuming that she is advising them properly as to their timeframe.

Is it normal for it to take this long to get a report back? For some reason I thought they'd get back to us right away. Now I'm wondering if their is some catastrophic failure that I don't know about and my house is about to cave in and disappear to the center of the earth. LOL
It is important to understand that the buyer has 10 days to do ALL inspections. If the home inspection uncovered something like "roof at end of life, need additional inspection by qualified roofer", they will need extra time. Or perhaps they want to speak with the neighbors who were not home at the time. Or maybe they have a call in for the water department and are waiting for a return call.

When ALL inspections are done then they will share the results. If they share the results on day 6 then they cannot come back to you a second time on day 8. "One bite of the apple" is all they get.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:35 AM

324 posts, read 837,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
It is important to understand that the buyer has 10 days to do ALL inspections. If the home inspection uncovered something like "roof at end of life, need additional inspection by qualified roofer", they will need extra time. Or perhaps they want to speak with the neighbors who were not home at the time. Or maybe they have a call in for the water department and are waiting for a return call.

When ALL inspections are done then they will share the results. If they share the results on day 6 then they cannot come back to you a second time on day 8. "One bite of the apple" is all they get.
Thank you. They haven't said anything about wanting additional inspections and day 10 would be Thursday.

ETA: Though I guess that really doesn't mean anything. As part of the inspection addendum, they may request inspection by roofer, HVAC technician, or whatever else. Not a big deal, I have nothing to hide. Just more hoops.

Last edited by OnlyWhnChasd; 02-04-2014 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Additional thoughts

Old 02-04-2014, 12:09 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Obviously my post only pertains to CA law.
I suppose I should have mentioned that my prior post only pertains to FL, and not the entire country. My error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate