Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:46 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Totally impractical if you are looking to attract anyone with a job. I am never home before 6 with traffic, etc. And its unlikely I am going to use my vacation time to look at a house when there are lots of others readily available to see. My agent didn't even bother to set up appointments with people until 6:30 or 7 during the week. Parents of young children don't always understand the lifestyle of professional, single or coupled nonparents. Your goal is to make your house as appealing as possible to anyone with the money to buy it,
Are "professionals without kids" allergic to weekend showings?

Quote:
OP, the main thing you want is for people to be able to see your house. If they see it, they may love it and will buy it. Get a babysitter who can watch your kids on certain evenings. Do you have relatives or good friends in the area? How about a sleepover with them? Or, the first few weeks the house is on the market may be a perfect time to send the kids to see grandma for an extended visit.

And they can see it, if they really want to, on a weekend or leave work a little early. Sorry, kids come first, and anyone who REALLY wants to see a house with restrictions in place will find the time to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:38 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Totally impractical if you are looking to attract anyone with a job. I am never home before 6 with traffic, etc. And its unlikely I am going to use my vacation time to look at a house when there are lots of others readily available to see. My agent didn't even bother to set up appointments with people until 6:30 or 7 during the week. Parents of young children don't always understand the lifestyle of professional, single or coupled nonparents. Your goal is to make your house as appealing as possible to anyone with the money to buy it,

OP, the main thing you want is for people to be able to see your house. If they see it, they may love it and will buy it. Get a babysitter who can watch your kids on certain evenings. Do you have relatives or good friends in the area? How about a sleepover with them? Or, the first few weeks the house is on the market may be a perfect time to send the kids to see grandma for an extended visit.
As a buyer, I've put up with all kind of crap from sellers.

"Nonparents" and whoever else can look at houses on weekends.

If the market is THAT crazy, you take a weekday and see 8-10 houses. The last time we listed a house, the most consistent showing times were 9am and 1 pm - on a weekday.

The only nighttime showings we had were second showings from people who had been there earlier in the day.

"Nonparents" think "getting a babysitter" is SO easy. The OP's kids ages and bedtimes make getting a sitter very disruptive.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Are "professionals without kids" allergic to weekend showings?

And they can see it, if they really want to, on a weekend or leave work a little early. Sorry, kids come first, and anyone who REALLY wants to see a house with restrictions in place will find the time to do so.
Hey you are the one wanting to sell your house! Putting showing restrictions is annoying. There's no shortage of houses for sale. If I can't view it when I'm available, I'll move on to the next one.

Leave work early? You may have that luxury, but neither myself or my husband have that luxury.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
Quote:

I disagree. If someone is motivated to buy, they will take the time to see your house unless there are tons of similar houses for sale, which doesn't fit today's market condition. If someone is window shopping, they will not take time off work to look for a home. That has been my experience as an agent.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I disagree. If someone is motivated to buy, they will take the time to see your house unless there are tons of similar houses for sale, which doesn't fit today's market condition. If someone is window shopping, they will not take time off work to look for a home. That has been my experience as an agent.
Maybe where you are there are not a number of similar houses for sale, but in many areas there are. My last house was in a development of 197 houses. All except the 2 story houses were similar to mine. And there were less than 20 two story houses. While my house was on the market, the other 3 houses on my street with my floor plan hit the market. One of those houses was the exact same color on the exterior including siding, shutters, trim, etc. Oh and I just closed the sale in December. Took over a year to sell it!

Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Hey you are the one wanting to sell your house! Putting showing restrictions is annoying. There's no shortage of houses for sale. If I can't view it when I'm available, I'll move on to the next one.

Leave work early? You may have that luxury, but neither myself or my husband have that luxury.
That's what weekends are made for.

Feel free to find another house to look at between the hours of dinner and bed time for sellers with kids who aren't going to duct tape their kids mouths and shove them in a crawlspace/send them off to a neighbor/relative's house at a moments notice b/c a looky loo doesn't CARE enough to leave work an hour early, or can't wait until the weekend. Or, you could deal with hungry/tired kids annoying you while you look through their bedrooms sniffing around for dirty diapers and bed sheets full of stale pee.

Neither would work for the childless "professionals".

So move on.

Don't bother.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
That's what weekends are made for.

Feel free to find another house to look at between the hours of dinner and bed time for sellers with kids who aren't going to duct tape their kids mouths and shove them in a crawlspace/send them off to a neighbor/relative's house at a moments notice b/c a looky loo doesn't CARE enough to leave work an hour early, or can't wait until the weekend. Or, you could deal with hungry/tired kids annoying you while you look through their bedrooms sniffing around for dirty diapers and bed sheets full of stale pee.

Neither would work for the childless "professionals".

So move on.

Don't bother.
You do realize that not everyone has weekends off from work, right?

Who said anything about duct taping anyone? Or shoving anyone in a crawlspace? Exaggerate much?

I refuse to look at houses with the owner there. If they won't leave, I won't look at their house. I've walked away from a few in the past and would do so again. No, I don't want to deal with your kids or dog. Got plenty of my own. I don't bring them with me either.

You're making all this personal. Selling a house is not personal. It's business. This is a business transaction. Sounds harsh, but this is the reality of the situation. Selling a house is the business of selling. Nothing more. Nothing less. Personal attachments get in the way and cause problems for the transaction.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:28 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,264 times
Quote:
I don't think Sawdustmaker is the one selling his house, you apparently missed that.

Quote:
And people who have young children do not have the luxury of keeping their young children up until whenever it best suits your adult weeknight schedule.

As you were already told, you can view properties on weekends. If you are afraid of loosing a house because your work hours are not luxurious enough that you can leave an hour early one day out of the year, that is your problem. Not the sellers, and you SHOULD move on to only viewing homes during the weekdays with no cut-off times.

Those who have serious interest in the OPs home will make the time during the week or view the property on the weekend.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:32 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,264 times
Quote:
You do realize that not everyone has weekends off from work, right?

Who said anything about duct taping anyone? Or shoving anyone in a crawlspace? Exaggerate much?

I refuse to look at houses with the owner there. If they won't leave, I won't look at their house. I've walked away from a few in the past and would do so again. No, I don't want to deal with your kids or dog. Got plenty of my own. I don't bring them with me either.

You're making all this personal. Selling a house is not personal. It's business. This is a business transaction. Sounds harsh, but this is the reality of the situation. Selling a house is the business of selling. Nothing more. Nothing less. Personal attachments get in the way and cause problems for the transaction.
From the one saying she ISN'T making it personal.....

You are quite amusing.

With how personal you've been making it all and since your first post on this thread and poor you and your work schedule.

Now, you refuse to look at houses if an owner is present?

You are QUITE the Queen Bee, aren't you?

Old 02-06-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
I don't think Sawdustmaker is the one selling his house, you apparently missed that.

And people who have young children do not have the luxury of keeping their young children up until whenever it best suits your adult weeknight schedule.

As you were already told, you can view properties on weekends. If you are afraid of loosing a house because your work hours are not luxurious enough that you can leave an hour early one day out of the year, that is your problem. Not the sellers, and you SHOULD move on to only viewing homes during the weekdays with no cut-off times.

Those who have serious interest in the OPs home will make the time during the week or view the property on the weekend.
I know sawdust isn't the one selling! She/he is the one complaining!

Did I ever say keep your kid up for my schedule? Nope. Did I say I was afraid of losing a house because of my work hours? Nope. I did say I wouldn't bother to look at it if it wasn't available when I was. Read comprehension could be your friend!

I bought a house last year and every house I looked at was on my schedule. If the seller couldn't wouldn't accommodate, I simply moved on. That didn't work too well for one seller. I was ready to buy their house sight unseen and they wouldn't call our realtor back. We actually called 3 times and finally said screw them. A month later, the house was still on the market and they dropped the price by $30K. It took them over 2 years to sell the house and it finally sold for less than half of their original asking price. You show houses when buyers want to see them! That's how they sell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate