Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:49 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think this is always the case. Many builders have their own contract that is signed, and a state contract is not written. Besides, a suit for specific performance would be very time consuming, and costly.
1. All builders have their own contract.
2. I would guesstimate that 99.9% do NOT have a specific performance clause.
3. The buyer should have had their lawyer insert such a clause before signing.
4. A suit would be costly. But, the buyer's position would be stronger with a specific performance clause.

IANAL.

However, I did get screwed by a builder in 1983 when they unilaterally cancelled the contract. That is when I learned my lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 05:18 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. All builders have their own contract.
Actually almost all builders here use the state contract. We don't have large builders here though.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:45 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Button

You are 10 months into this, close to closing, and you are now hung up on some type of tile. Me thinks you are wanting out or trying to achieve something that has little to do with the tile.

What do you want?

Old 02-07-2014, 06:40 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Button

You are 10 months into this, close to closing, and you are now hung up on some type of tile. Me thinks you are wanting out or trying to achieve something that has little to do with the tile.

What do you want?
I think the OP wants natural stone. That seemed clear.

Bottom line though is this-you agreed to the change, yes you may have made a mistake, but its unclear if the builder intentionally deceived you.

My advice-if you don't like it, and its a big issue, ask the builder how much it would take to change it to natural stone now. If thats less then the cost of a lawsuit you might lose, pay the extra money. On the other hand, if its not worth fighting about...just ignore it and focus on other more important things.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,251 times
What percentage of the house flooring is this man made tile? The whole thing or just a room or two?

Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 PM

373 posts, read 589,468 times
Natural stone can be ugly, or can be pretty but if you search enough, the same is true for man made. Get over that part of it. Natural stone by the way is easier to damage and more difficult to repair / match than the other types. They don't call it natural for nothing.

But my question is, did you ever see a sample of the replacement, like, before you signed any papers? And if so, what did you say? You don't mention that anywhere that I can see.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:33 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Actually almost all builders here use the state contract. We don't have large builders here though.
The smaller developers use state contracts in our market, but the big box developers (DR Horton, Armadillo, KB, David Weekly, etc.) usually use their own contracts.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Default What's the COST of this issue??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonHouse View Post
Since I was told that the replacement is very similar to the one I chose when i signed contract and i was stupid enough to trust the sales representative..... Until I walked into the house when it was being installed, I found out it is ugly and I let the builder know it is not natural stone and asked for stop the installation. The builder ignored my request and completed the installation. Now...
What's the cost represented here? You use the word "tile" but what is the size of the job?
Tear it out.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:15 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
How much do you stand to lose if you don't buy it? How much will it cost to replace the tile? Is the difference worth it to you? There's your answer.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:14 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Very few here do, they have their own.

Each builder I deal with has a clause that says if they cannot make you happy they can terminate the contract and refund your Deposit.

I'll bet your Builder has that clause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate