Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:51 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,613,477 times

Advertisements

So, like a lot of people I window shop homes through the various real estate web sites. Of course, I received an email from my "new" broker from an out of state (outside Massachusetts) area I am looking at. Throwing caution to the wind, I sent them back a friendly email mentioning I might be in the area for a first look in the Spring. Soon our exchange was followed up with a phone call.

I bookmarked particular unique small homes. Interesting features would include fireplaces, solar panels discreetly done on one home.

So agent starts off conversation telling me she may change my parameters because the neighborhoods I am picking are rather "Bohemian."

She starts sending me links to townhouse communities attached to golf courses.

I am a moderately green and artsy person myself. I do not golf, yet at least.

Anyone want to take a guess at what she meant by "too bohemian."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 08:27 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,154,272 times
Bohemian? Too many pot smokers? More likely it's code for something they're not allowed to say, like racial mixture.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Bohemian? Too many pot smokers? More likely it's code for something they're not allowed to say, like racial mixture.
Interesting thought.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:35 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,410,753 times
I would ask her what she means.

Alternatively, go in the Massachusetts forum and ask people there if they know the area.

It may be straightforward that its an area that attracts artists, free spirited types or all kinds, craftspeople, etc. Or, it may be her code word for undesirable part of town whatever that means to her. Could be lower class, a racial/ethnic mix, lower income, unkempt homes, who knows.

Obviously, townhouses community on a golf course is generally marketed as a more upscale property. So, whatever she means is somehow opposite of that in her mind.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I would ask her what she means.

Alternatively, go in the Massachusetts forum and ask people there if they know the area.

I am currently in Massachusetts.

The real estate agent who described the area I bookmarked is in a different state, in an entirely different region of the country than New England.

That was another thing I found interesting about the "bohemian" statement. I am in a state with a reputation for residents being left-leaning. For all they know, I myself could be quite "bohemian."

All the houses I bookmarked were clean, beautiful interior, relatively new compared to our historic housing stock in New England.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
Bohemian is probably a code word for some sort of undesirable characteristic.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:01 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,021,807 times
I would think that it may be an area with lots of people in and out, e.g. renters or group homes or half way houses.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:05 PM

102,125 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
So, like a lot of people I window shop homes through the various real estate web sites. Of course, I received an email from my "new" broker from an out of state (outside Massachusetts) area I am looking at. Throwing caution to the wind, I sent them back a friendly email mentioning I might be in the area for a first look in the Spring. Soon our exchange was followed up with a phone call.

I bookmarked particular unique small homes. Interesting features would include fireplaces, solar panels discreetly done on one home.

So agent starts off conversation telling me she may change my parameters because the neighborhoods I am picking are rather "Bohemian."

She starts sending me links to townhouse communities attached to golf courses.

I am a moderately green and artsy person myself. I do not golf, yet at least.

Anyone want to take a guess at what she meant by "too bohemian."
You need to get yourself a new real estate agent. Anytime they take it upon themselves to show you stock that is way outside your interests, and refuse to show you what you've clearly stated you're looking for, it means it's not a good match between customer and agent. Find someone you can work well with, who really understands what you want, and has no qualms showing it to you.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:37 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,845,597 times
There is a thread in RE euphemisms...bohemian has not come up yet. My guess? Artsy, lower class, maybe racially mixed or a known gay enclave. Probably below the price point this individual thinks you can afford.

Get another agent.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:49 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,156,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You need to get yourself a new real estate agent. Anytime they take it upon themselves to show you stock that is way outside your interests, and refuse to show you what you've clearly stated you're looking for, it means it's not a good match between customer and agent. Find someone you can work well with, who really understands what you want, and has no qualms showing it to you.
My thoughts exactly. This one is steering you way outside your stated preferences, and there are too many good agents out there to work with one who won't even acknowledge your tastes.

"Bohemian: 2 ( usually lowercase ) a person, as an artist or writer, who lives and acts free of regard for conventional rules and practices."
Bohemian | Define Bohemian at Dictionary.com

I live in an artsy community that would definitely be considered "bohemian" by that definition. Our town has some of the best violin bow-makers in the world, lots of visual artists, musicians, woodworkers, etc., as well as a thriving marine trades community, and there are no suburban-type housing developments or big box stores here. There are original Victorian houses, contemporary cedar shingled houses, old houses (some not in the best repair), and green-built cottages, but no townhouses on golf courses. I know my town is too funky for my SIL, who requires expensive houses in exclusive areas, but our crime rate is about 1/4th the national average according to C-D, while in her town it's above average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate