Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:00 PM

65 posts, read 257,030 times

Advertisements

What I'm asking is, why should one make extra payments on a mortgage every month, as opposed to keeping these funds somewhere else and then at some date in the future, making a large payment towards principle?

This for example:
Let's say that for the next 5 years I could/would pay an extra, say... $200 over my mortgage payment, to be applied toward principle... That is $12,000 over that five year period.

So what is the difference if I just put that into some other account (savings, etc.) and then at the END of that same five year period, put that $12,000 I have saved toward the principle in one large lump sum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Because the bank doesn't want it that way.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:50 AM

3,701 posts, read 4,846,819 times
That's my plan for paying off my house early. It was sidetracked do to a disability last year but I intend to get back to work this year and start up. Since I had to quit my job last year my plan was pretty much proven as a good idea. I work an up and down seasonal job that rely's a lot on a good economy, weather and engine reliability, if that makes any sense. One blown motor at the wrong time or an active hurricane season can make me lose the busiest month of the year---or an illness.

I want to pay my house off early and looked at all the calculations as to when it would be payed off with extra payments. However, once those extra payments get payed into the principle that money is gone. If it is needed the only way to get access would be a HELOC. So I figure that I can take the same money and invest it. When the principle I owe on the house reaches what my investments have become I'll withdraw the funds and pay off the house. That way I would have that money accessible in the case of an emergency, such as loosing my job---which became reality last year.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:58 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
If interest rates go up a bunch there is no advantage tp paying off early.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:18 AM

120 posts, read 309,558 times
The earlier you make your payments, then the less money you pay into interest. You would end up paying more in interest in the one lump sum (probably double the amount of interest of the monthly payment), but you would still come out ahead if you weren't making any extra payments at all.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:00 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollerprod View Post
What I'm asking is, why should one make extra payments on a mortgage every month, as opposed to keeping these funds somewhere else and then at some date in the future, making a large payment towards principle?
Because some people lack the discipline or can't make more than their interest rate with their cash in the bank. If you do decided to make a lump some payment, It just cost you your interest rate to hold onto the cash. At 4.5% in your case, that might add up to $1500 over 5 years. If you paid off $200 more a month, your balance would be $13478 lower versus $12,000 lower. This is a simplified version. If your rate is smaller than 4.5 then the difference is even smaller.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHausMaus View Post
The earlier you make your payments, then the less money you pay into interest. You would end up paying more in interest in the one lump sum (probably double the amount of interest of the monthly payment), but you would still come out ahead if you weren't making any extra payments at all.
Could you please explain this in a bit more detail. Is there a calculator or website/article which covers this in laymen terms?

"You would end up paying more in interest in the one lump sum (probably double the amount of interest of the monthly payment)..."

For some reason I was under the impression that the difference you be be paying would be marginal? But I admit I am confused... ELI5? (explain like I'm five)

Old 02-18-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Because some people lack the discipline or can't make more than their interest rate with their cash in the bank. If you do decided to make a lump some payment, It just cost you your interest rate to hold onto the cash. At 4.5% in your case, that might add up to $1500 over 5 years. If you paid off $200 more a month, your balance would be $13478 lower versus $12,000 lower. This is a simplified version. If your rate is smaller than 4.5 then the difference is even smaller.
Sorry missed your post.. Thank You. I was thinking the difference would be even less than that... BTW, what loan amount are you using for this example?

Old 02-18-2014, 08:43 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollerprod View Post
Could you please explain this in a bit more detail. Is there a calculator or website/article which covers this in laymen terms?

For some reason I was under the impression that the difference you be be paying would be marginal? But I admit I am confused... ELI5? (explain like I'm five)
If you look at my numbers the difference marginal short term.

If a 5 year old could understand amortization people wouldn't get themselves in trouble, joking aside and I'll take on this challenge

Lets say you have a tree in the yard that you want to remove and throw away.( the loan balance) , you can only cut down and carry away a little bit each month. If you work harder you can cut down more and carry away more. When you cut the tree, it still grows a little, so you need to cut down more that it is grown every month to eventually get rid of it. If you cut down more of the tree each time, there is less of the tree, so it grows slower. You can cut down 10 feet for the tree now, or wait 20 years to Cut down that 10 feet of tree, plus everything else that grew on top of it.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:44 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times
I did the calculations using an amortization chart calculator that I found online. There is one on bankrate.com that is pretty decent if you want to calculate it with the same extra payments every month. I found a different one that was in an excel sheet that let me put in whatever amount I wanted for each month so I could see the real life situation. In the end, I decided to make the extra payments monthly rather than in a lump sum. It ended up saving me a whole year on payments, using the same amount of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate